"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 08-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #71
Executive Chef

The only times I've ever paid credit card interest is a few times when I wrote the wrong amount on the payment check, or once I thought I had made my payment but hadn't. I pay all my bills within days of coming in, because I don't live from paycheck to paycheck. If I can't afford something I don't buy it. I rarely buy expensive toys but I make sure they're ones that I'll really enjoy. Most of my hobbies and toys are inexpensive. I've never bought a car until I had enough money saved to pay cash. I've got 20,000 miles on my 7 year old car because I don't make frivolous trips and because I route my shopping to make several stops in the least amount of mileage.

One thing we all do that saves a lot of money: we enjoy cooking so we eat at home and the labor to make the meals is free. Actually, most of the time I prefer my own cooking anyway because it's an enjoyable activity and because I get it served exactly how I like it.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #72
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Hmmm....perhaps I should look into a rewards type CC.
Heck yeah! Even with our modest budget, we can earn $200-300 a year. With discipline credit cards can be profitable!

With Greg's purchase, running it through a basic rewards card would yield $70 even if you paid it off the next day. There are cards that you can do even better with.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #73
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post

Heck yeah! Even with our modest budget, we can earn $200-300 a year. With discipline credit cards can be profitable!

With Greg's purchase, running it through a basic rewards card would yield $70 even if you paid it off the next day. There are cards that you can do even better with.
Chase Freedom gives you cash or points, and is very highly rated. Costco's Amex is highly rated too, and both cards will give 3% cash back on different things like groceries, gas, travel, restaurants, etc., a list that rotates quarterly. Everything else is 1%. Neither has annual fees.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #74
Executive Chef

That's exactly what I did and that's about what I added to my rewards (I get 1%). I put my new clothes washer and dryer on the card too. In fact I put almost everything I buy on the card. It's a mess to keep track of the charge drafts and reconcile them with your monthly statement but other than the labor of tracking it it's free money. I've done my best to put as much of my move-in expenses on the card to make the best of this expensive few months.

I put as many of my recurring monthly expenses on my card (cable TV & Internet, cellphone, land line, any business that will accept auto-payment via my credit card) to get rewards from them too, and I don't have to bother paying cellphone etc. separately each month.

Wow we're really getting way off topic but I don't really mind my topic getting destroyed, particularly if it helps somebody. Unfortunately I think we're all mainly preaching to the choir.

I've gone as paperless as I can, get my monthly statements online, then pay the ones that don't get settled via the credit card using my credit union's online bill payer. It costs nothing, payments to big companies (like my credit cards) go electronically, and my credit union sends the rest of them via USPS and absorbs the postage cost.

BTW you senior citizens on low income should look into discounts for such people, particularly utilities. My only utility I don't get a discount on is cable/Internet. Trash pick-up was even better, our trash pick-up is a fixed monthly fee but they have a deal: pay 11 months in advance and get the 12th month for free. That's about an 8% discount, and that's on top of my senior citizen low income discount! The nice lady even backdated my senior citizen and 11 months in advance discounts to my escrow closing day! (I drove over to their office because I figured I'd have a better chance of getting that than on the phone, and it worked perfectly!)

Lots of restaurants have senior discounts and I keep forgetting to ask if they have it. I know there's a fair amount of DC members who are senior citizens. In many cases the discount is given to those over 60 or 62, maybe some even lower.

So my topic is ruined but I don't care. I'm in my new retirement house/home and I'm well on the way to having my last/best kitchen I'll ever have. Once I get that Calphalon or All-Clad or whatever brand cookware I get I can't think of anything else I'll ever need except the ingredients themselves.

Then I'll have to move to the next frontier: patio cooking!
Old 08-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #75
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
So Greg, does your dishwasher have a removable panel?
Old 08-02-2013, 05:13 PM   #76
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post

Chase Freedom gives you cash or points, and is very highly rated. Costco's Amex is highly rated too, and both cards will give 3% cash back on different things like groceries, gas, travel, restaurants, etc., a list that rotates quarterly. Everything else is 1%. Neither has annual fees.
Chase freedom is my most used card! I love that I can link it to amazon and use the points like cash.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:32 PM   #77
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
So Greg, does your dishwasher have a removable panel?
I did an initial search and so far I have no indication or results.

It's a Kitchen Aid KUDIO1DLWH6 if anybody has any ideas.

It would be pretty nice to have an all stainless steel kitchen. My preferences have always been appliance white (white always goes with white) but now that I'm 3/4 the way to an entirely stainless kitchen it seems like it would be worth the effort to go 100%.

By the way, the Sous Vide is all stainless!
Old 08-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #78
Master Chef

I like stainless appliances, besides looking good, I think they are timeless, and bring a somewhat commercial element into the kitchen. They'll always remain fashionable, I think.
Also, if I ever, one day, have to replace my center island I'd lke to replace it with a heavy duty free standing commercial prep table.
I installed one SS table (24x60) in 1 corner of the kitchen a couple of years ago.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #79
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I like stainless appliances, besides looking good, I think they are timeless, and bring a somewhat commercial element into the kitchen. They'll always remain fashionable, I think.
Also, if I ever, one day, have to replace my center island I'd lke to replace it with a heavy duty free standing commercial prep table.
I installed one SS table (24x60) in 1 corner of the kitchen a couple of years ago.
I have thought the same (installing a prep station) instead of an island.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #80
Executive Chef

Quote:
I like stainless appliances, besides looking good, I think they are timeless, and bring a somewhat commercial element into the kitchen.
There is a serious reason for stainless steel, particularly in commercial kitchens. It is indestructible particularly if all you're concerned about is utility. We amateurs want our SS to look pretty so we use the right cleaner and stroke it along the grain, but in a commercial kitchen the only factors are the ease of cleaning and the healthiness as food preparation surfaces.

AFAIK the only way you can abuse SS is to scratch it and to stain it. In a commercial kitchen stains make no matter. Scratches make it a bit harder to keep clean...

In our amateur kitchens of course SS is our pride and joy and we use the right polish and we wipe up acid spills before they can etch the steel, because unlike commercial kitchens to which utility is the only important matter, in our amateur kitchens the appearance is an important factor too.

Tags
cook