"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 08-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #81
Master Chef

Yes, of course, a residential kitchen will never see the level of abuse most commercial kitchens go through. With normal care they will stay as new looking for years.
Here's that table I installed. I used to have a large chest freezer in that spot for many years before I decided to turn it into a work station.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #82
Executive Chef

That looks very nice RF! Even professional looking.

You've got me thinking about kitchen counters. As y'all saw with the pics I posted that I have tile counters... Nice tile counters but tile is kind of passe these days. I've coveted the granite and other premium counters I saw in many of the nicer houses I saw when house hunting, and as I said, here in today's real estate market the inventory is so small and buyer competition so fierce that you don't get to pick much, and in fact about your only decisions are "can I live here?" and "can I beat the other bidders?" My kitchen is nicer than many I've seen, and I've seen many nicer kitchens too. (But the good news is that overall I got the best house I saw over the entire year and a half of house hunting.)

But here's what I'm leading up to: I wonder if stainless steel counters would make any sense in a residential setting. You can be sure of one thing, that anything commercial kitchens and restaurants are doing makes perfect practical sense. Clean up costs money for them even though the duty may fall to minimum wage workers. Durability makes perfect sense to them because they can't afford to shut down their kitchens for repairs. It's no coincidence that so much professional gear including shelving and moveable tables, stoves, cooktops, hoods, everything else, all of it is stainless.

I wonder if stainless steel counters in a residential kitchen would make any sense when compared with granite and all the other premium kitchen counter surfaces.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #83
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I really like the idea of stainless steel counters. I was even going to suggest it.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #84
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Yes, of course, a residential kitchen will never see the level of abuse most commercial kitchens go through. With normal care they will stay as new looking for years.
Here's that table I installed. I used to have a large chest freezer in that spot for many years before I decided to turn it into a work station.

I have those same Cambro containers for my flour and sugar, they are awesome. For the price they can't be beat.

And I think that is my same scale as well!

I like that work station a lot

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #85
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post

That is, flat out, a work of art. I would love that in my kitchen.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #86
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I would choose stainless for countertops, still like having cupboards below. I think a kitchen "island" would be perfect to integrate a stainless workspace.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:04 PM   #87
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
We use our portable dishwasher as an island. Having wheels on the island can be very handy, especially in a small or crowded kitchen.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #88
Chef Extraordinaire

When I was a teenager, I did volunteer work in the kitchen of a nursing home on weekends. All the work tops were stainless steel. They used to scrub them down with Bon Ami. Guess who go to do that job. But those surfaces would shine like new when I was done. They clean like magic and are an excellent way to keep a sanitary kitchen. I say go for SS. The only drawback is that your kitchen will lack that warmth look, but that can be overcome with curtains and colorful other items. Your KA mixer out in view, a cookie jar, colorful canisters, etc. You get the idea. Splashes of color throughout the kitchen. Even a color of choice for paint.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #89
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
We use our portable dishwasher as an island. Having wheels on the island can be very handy, especially in a small or crowded kitchen.
Growing up we had a portable dishwasher and we often used it as an island, I didn't know that they still made them.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #90
Executive Chef

I think I'll pass on the stainless counters. And alas, my kitchen is just a bit too small for even a small island, although its more or less square shape makes it very easy to maneuver around and all counters and cabinets are within close reach. It even has room enough for two cooks if they can coordinate the dance of working without colliding.

I think I'll go for something like granite or one of the other luxury surfaces. I'm pretty sure they're very durable and easy to clean too. Unfortunately that will have to wait some significant amount of time (many months or a year or so) until I have an idea where my finances are going. So far I've been sticking to essential expenses. (Well I really did need the Wolf, you can't cook on a broken cooktop and an oven with no broiler.)

And I still have to get a decent hood. That GE hood is an eyesore and some idiot even painted it, and they painted the knobs too!

Tags
cook