"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 08-27-2015, 02:58 PM   #11
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post

Got to remember the delivery guys from Home Depot are just that. Delivery guys. They are not plumbers, electricians or appliance people. They drive the truck and unload the stuff.
If they could perform these tasks, most likely they would have jobs performing these tasks.
Then maybe Home Depot shouldn't be charging people extra for delivery and installation if their people can't handle the job!.And that's including the installation parts that are required.

When they brought ours out they knew it was to be installed.If they can't read basic English on the work order maybe they should just be pushing a broom.They flat out told my husband no.Left it in the living room.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:07 PM   #12
Master Chef

When we bought our new dishwasher a couple of years back, the salesperson told us that if we wanted to have the new unit installed when the delivery guys brought it and took the old one, we had to schedule the installer to come on the same day. Then again, we bought the dishwasher at Lowe's - we find their help to be just that, helpful.

I suppose if the delivery/removal and the install had not been the same day, I could have gone on washing dishes by hand for a few days until the installer showed up. After all, that's what I had been doing while trying to decide on the new unit.

PS ~ The salesman also pointed out the fact that we needed to get a new hose and a coupling or two. We bought those when we ordered the dishwasher and had them in our hands when we walked out of Lowe's.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:12 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Again.No Dishwasher?

We always get an installer that's totally separate from the delivery guys. Our most recent appliances were purchased from a mom and pop store about 35 miles from here.

Iamcliff, I would say if your guy couldn't tell that there was a shutoff valve, it's probably a good thing he didn't install your DW!
Old 08-27-2015, 03:49 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
We always get an installer that's totally separate from the delivery guys. Our most recent appliances were purchased from a mom and pop store about 35 miles from here.

Iamcliff, I would say if your guy couldn't tell that there was a shutoff valve, it's probably a good thing he didn't install your DW!
+1!!
Old 08-27-2015, 04:29 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I've had my dishwasher for about 5 years now. It's a Maytag and it has performed flawlessly until recently. All of a sudden everything, but especially the glasses are coming out dirtier than they went in. I called Jerome the appliance guy. I don't trust repair people, but Orange Julius loves Jerome, so I know he's trustworthy. He said he could come out on a $60 service call and check it over, or he could tell me over the phone for free that the problem isn't the dishwasher, it's the calcium in the water from the lower water table because of the drought and I should get a water softener.

Sure enough, I went home, dumped a cup of cider vinegar into the machine and ran the rinse cycle and everything was practically sparkling. I am having a water softener installed on Monday.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:36 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Good point!
Old 08-27-2015, 04:39 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Vinegar to the rescue! A buddy of ours who's been in the appliance fixing business for many years also said to keep an eye on your DW detergent. If it's old, it doesn't clean as well as it should. Stores don't swap out detergent very often, and they usually don't have an expiration date.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:00 PM   #18
Honey Badger

Quote:
Vinegar to the rescue! A buddy of ours who's been in the appliance fixing business for many years also said to keep an eye on your DW detergent. If it's old, it doesn't clean as well as it should. Stores don't swap out detergent very often, and they usually don't have an expiration date.
Who would have thought dishwasher soap expires?
It does show on the glasses and silverware when it's really old.

Instead of tossing it out I use it to mop the floors.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:04 PM   #19
Executive Chef

I tried Cascade packets and liquid, Finish packets and liquid, and both Cascade and Finish rinsing agent. I even ran two doses of dishwasher cleaner through it. Nothing helped, but Jerome said running the cleaner through it probably saved the dishwasher.

So until Monday, I will run the dishwasher in the morning, then rinse with the vinegar when I get home from work.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:39 PM   #20
Head Chef

Instead of using vinegar for mineral build up, you might want to try Lemi Shine Rinse in the dishwashers rinse bay.