"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 09-11-2015, 11:42 AM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
News at 11...NOT!

The repairman came and had a look.Apparently the pump went on the dishwasher.The new one will be here bright and early Monday morning.
HOT-DAWWWG!

This home repair company that they sent, we've used before they're great.If they say they will be at your home by 9am they are always right on time.
Have they quoted the repair work yet?
The reason I ask is because a bad pump would not circulate any water at all. Meaning if the pump was bad and you turned on the DW, nothing would get wet and you would notice everything was still dry.
It seems cleaning (hard water) the DW has taken a hold of this thread and that it is was not working as well as it used too?
So what is it? Was it not getting anything wet inside or was it just not performing. There is a gigantic difference between a hard water issue and a bad pump.

In front of the suction side of a DW pump resides a device called a "chopper". This little steel blade spins around in front of the screen and chops food particles small enough to fit through the screen and allowed to go down the drain.
I have fixed two dishwashers with similar symptoms and it was either the chopper or the screen. Both parts costing under 20 dollars. (they usually come as one item). Screen and chopper.
I hope you are not getting a new chopper and screen and paying for a pump.
The evolving discussion has led me to believe its not the pump.
If it was the pump there would be no water spraying and all the dishes would be dry.

Disclaimer. A bad or lose impeller could produce the symptoms that have been discussed here. The impeller would be part of the pump. If this is the issue, then a new pump is what you need.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:00 PM   #32
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Have they quoted the repair work yet?
The reason I ask is because a bad pump would not circulate any water at all. Meaning if the pump was bad and you turned on the DW, nothing would get wet and you would notice everything was still dry.
It seems cleaning (hard water) the DW has taken a hold of this thread and that it is was not working as well as it used too?
So what is it? Was it not getting anything wet inside or was it just not performing. There is a gigantic difference between a hard water issue and a bad pump.

In front of the suction side of a DW pump resides a device called a "chopper". This little steel blade spins around in front of the screen and chops food particles small enough to fit through the screen and allowed to go down the drain.
I have fixed two dishwashers with similar symptoms and it was either the chopper or the screen. Both parts costing under 20 dollars. (they usually come as one item). Screen and chopper.
I hope you are not getting a new chopper and screen and paying for a pump.
The evolving discussion has led me to believe its not the pump.
If it was the pump there would be no water spraying and all the dishes would be dry.

Disclaimer. A bad or lose impeller could produce the symptoms that have been discussed here. The impeller would be part of the pump. If this is the issue, then a new pump is what you need.
The repair work is covered under the warranty.
I'll link the DW that I have.

What happened was I heard noise from it.With that DW you don't know what cycle it's in at the time.I just know I heard it twice per cycle.

Ran the one hr cycle still the same thing.It did fill with water.It did say that the load was finished.When I opened up the door no water had drained out of it.We had bubbles though :)

We did get inside of it.The screen did show hard water.Not a lot, just some.Cleaned that.Tried again.Still no changes.

Whirlpool Front Control Dishwasher in Monochromatic Stainless Steel-WDF520PADM - The Home Depot

Hope this helps.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:24 PM   #33
Senior Cook

Hi. I am in an older house with no dishwasher, but I do have hot and cold shut off valves under the sink.