Again. No Dishwasher?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
Our brand new dishwasher that we bought in December is already having problems.I think another member here has the same one that I do.

It's a Whirlpool.It's now making this loud buzzing sound.Not sure if I should even continue to use it again.It fills and drains just fine.

We bought it at Home Depot.I don't trust them about the warranty on it.
We had paid extra to have it delivered and installed.They brought it out alright,but refused to install it.We did it ourselves.

Bummer Munky. I have a completely different dishwasher, but it sometimes buzzes. It's usually when something is keeping the thingee in the middle where the water squirts out, from moving properly or it gets stuck.

Munky, I hope you got reimbursed for the installation you paid for that they didn't do! Or at least a store credit. I'd be doing a boatload of complaining to Home Depot. :glare: I hope it's nothing seriously wrong with your dishwasher.

Our dishwasher has made some weird noises, too. The manufacturer's website has troubleshooting information. Maybe you could try that.

Bummer Munky. I have a completely different dishwasher, but it sometimes buzzes. It's usually when something is keeping the thingee in the middle where the water squirts out, from moving properly or it gets stuck.

I did check that.No blockage of any kind.No hard water buildup.All jets were wide open and clean.
Checked it all over right down to the floater and filter.The noise seems to be coming from the door.I was running a full load the first time I heard it.
This dishwasher you really have to touch it to see if it's running it's that quiet.Second load was empty.Same problem.

Munky, I hope you got reimbursed for the installation you paid for that they didn't do! Or at least a store credit. I'd be doing a boatload of complaining to Home Depot. :glare: I hope it's nothing seriously wrong with your dishwasher.

We were given an apology and a store credit reimbursement.Thanks.I think?
I've just lost faith with them.The dishwasher hasn't been our first rodeo with them.I just hope they hold up with the warranty.

That's too bad about your dealings with Home Depot. We have had good luck with them - a good thing because we don't have any other real options here - our Sears store is not one of the best.

We have never had anything installed by HD. The appliances for the house we built in the Bahamas were all supplied from Home Depot, but they had to shipped over from Ft. Lauderdale by an exporter, and then installed by the local contractor. The range we have here was bought at Home Depot, but installed by a local plumber, since we had to have a new gas line run to the kitchen for it.

We bought it at Home Depot.I don't trust them about the warranty on it.
We had paid extra to have it delivered and installed.They brought it out alright,but refused to install it.We did it ourselves.

We just bought a Whirlpool from Home Depot as well. Paid for the delivery and install. They refused to install because they said we didn't have a shut off valve for the dishwasher. They said we would have to hire a plumber to come install a valve, then we could call them back. Screw that. We ended up doing the valve ourselves and installing ourselves. We told them and they gave us a credit for the install service.

It irritated me because the house was built in 2008 and apparently it is normal to run a direct water line to the dishwasher instead of installing a valve, I don't know. Had I known when we built the house I would have made the builder install one.

It irritated me because the house was built in 2008 and apparently it is normal to run a direct water line to the dishwasher instead of installing a valve, I don't know. Had I known when we built the house I would have made the builder install one.

Under every sink, there should be two valves. One for the hot and one for the cold.
The line that goes to the dishwasher should come from the hot water line.
If your house was built in 2008, I can almost assure you, you had the ability to shut off the water supply to the dishwasher under the sink.
What am I missing here?
Doesn't everyone have two valves under their sinks? A hot and a cold.

Doesn't everyone have two valves under their sinks? A hot and a cold.

I do have a hot and a cold shut off under the sink, and I read, during all of this, that the hot should shut off the dishwasher. It seems that Home Depot should've known that, but they still refused. I read their documentation on installation and it stated that the install would not be done if no shut off valve was present.

I do have a hot and a cold shut off under the sink, and I read, during all of this, that the hot should shut off the dishwasher. It seems that Home Depot should've known that, but they still refused. I read their documentation on installation and it stated that the install would not be done if no shut off valve was present.

It has a shutoff unless someone piped from below the valve. The hot valve should cut water to the faucet and the dishwasher. And chances are extremely good thats exactly what you have.

Got to remember the delivery guys from Home Depot are just that. Delivery guys. They are not plumbers, electricians or appliance people. They drive the truck and unload the stuff.
If they could perform these tasks, most likely they would have jobs performing these tasks.

Got to remember the delivery guys from Home Depot are just that. Delivery guys. They are not plumbers, electricians or appliance people. They drive the truck and unload the stuff.
If they could perform these tasks, most likely they would have jobs performing these tasks.

Then maybe Home Depot shouldn't be charging people extra for delivery and installation if their people can't handle the job!.And that's including the installation parts that are required.

When they brought ours out they knew it was to be installed.If they can't read basic English on the work order maybe they should just be pushing a broom.They flat out told my husband no.Left it in the living room.

When we bought our new dishwasher a couple of years back, the salesperson told us that if we wanted to have the new unit installed when the delivery guys brought it and took the old one, we had to schedule the installer to come on the same day. Then again, we bought the dishwasher at Lowe's - we find their help to be just that, helpful.

I suppose if the delivery/removal and the install had not been the same day, I could have gone on washing dishes by hand for a few days until the installer showed up. After all, that's what I had been doing while trying to decide on the new unit. :LOL:

PS ~ The salesman also pointed out the fact that we needed to get a new hose and a coupling or two. We bought those when we ordered the dishwasher and had them in our hands when we walked out of Lowe's.

Last edited:
Again.No Dishwasher?

We always get an installer that's totally separate from the delivery guys. Our most recent appliances were purchased from a mom and pop store about 35 miles from here.

Iamcliff, I would say if your guy couldn't tell that there was a shutoff valve, it's probably a good thing he didn't install your DW!

Last edited:
We always get an installer that's totally separate from the delivery guys. Our most recent appliances were purchased from a mom and pop store about 35 miles from here.

Iamcliff, I would say if your guy couldn't tell that there was a shutoff valve, it's probably a good thing he didn't install your DW!
+1!!

I've had my dishwasher for about 5 years now. It's a Maytag and it has performed flawlessly until recently. All of a sudden everything, but especially the glasses are coming out dirtier than they went in. I called Jerome the appliance guy. I don't trust repair people, but Orange Julius loves Jerome, so I know he's trustworthy. He said he could come out on a $60 service call and check it over, or he could tell me over the phone for free that the problem isn't the dishwasher, it's the calcium in the water from the lower water table because of the drought and I should get a water softener.

Sure enough, I went home, dumped a cup of cider vinegar into the machine and ran the rinse cycle and everything was practically sparkling. I am having a water softener installed on Monday.

Vinegar to the rescue! A buddy of ours who's been in the appliance fixing business for many years also said to keep an eye on your DW detergent. If it's old, it doesn't clean as well as it should. Stores don't swap out detergent very often, and they usually don't have an expiration date.

Vinegar to the rescue! A buddy of ours who's been in the appliance fixing business for many years also said to keep an eye on your DW detergent. If it's old, it doesn't clean as well as it should. Stores don't swap out detergent very often, and they usually don't have an expiration date.

Who would have thought dishwasher soap expires?
It does show on the glasses and silverware when it's really old.

Instead of tossing it out I use it to mop the floors.:angel::LOL:

I tried Cascade packets and liquid, Finish packets and liquid, and both Cascade and Finish rinsing agent. I even ran two doses of dishwasher cleaner through it. Nothing helped, but Jerome said running the cleaner through it probably saved the dishwasher.

So until Monday, I will run the dishwasher in the morning, then rinse with the vinegar when I get home from work.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom