"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 08-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #11
Executive Chef

I considered one of those about a year ago. But I decided the cost was a bit too much for how often I would really use it. I am glad I didn't jump on it because I guarantee it would be banished to the area where things go that don't get used very often.

If you have room for it and you will use it very regularly then go for it !

Old 08-12-2013, 05:25 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Great review, thanks MM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMunchies View Post
I agree that the basic design principle is based on the concept of the convection oven, so it really is more like "baking" that "frying", BUT in practice, the small size of the Airfryer relative to the heating element and the size of the fan means that the heat is really concentrated and the fan much more effective at vaporizing the oil droplets into a very small space, so good crispy results can be obtained that would be impossible if you baked the same items in a normal convection oven. Baking foods, eg, spring rolls, chicken kievs, etc, in a convection oven that were really meant to be fried will often result in a disappointing un-crisp coating, sometimes too soggy and sometimes hard like cardboard. But in the Airfryer they turn out really crispily.

Frozen "already-prepared" supermarket foods for frying, eg, various frozen crumbed and battered foods, will not require any additional oil at all. In addition, excess oil inside these foods are collected into the tray underneath. Fresh foods with their own fat, eg, chicken wings and pork belly, etc, will not require any additional oil for cooking. Fresh foods without their own fat will require 1 or 2 seconds of cooking oil spray, or otherwise, you can add a maximum of one tablespoon of oil mixed into the crumb mix for the entire batch.

My favourite food to cook in the Airfryer is Roast Duck Breast. I just rub Chinese five spice powder all over the deboned duck breasts, then lightly sprinkle the skin side with a little bit of salt, and put them into the Airfryer for 22 minutes. Too easy to get yummily bubbling golden crispy skin! I am 100% sure that I cannot get these same results in my convection oven.

The only slight inconvenience that I have found with the Airfryer is that fresh meats can leave some bits stuck onto the wire mesh, but I just use a small brush to scrub the mesh on both sides, and every once in a while when I am feeling obsessive, I use a clean toothbrush to scrub the rim underneath the wire mesh as well.

My sister and cousin have bought their own Airfryers after trying the Roast Duck Breasts I cooked for them at a party. I have also cooked 12 of these Roast Duck Breasts for 40 people to eat as part of a lunch. Everyone said they tasted great and many people asked me how I got the skin so crispy, and I gave all the credit to the Airfryer, because honestly, how can I take credit just for rubbing on some Chinese five spice powder and sprinkling on a little bit of salt? Even the Chinese people at the lunch were saying that they thought my Roast Duck Breasts tasted better than the Roast Duck fresh out of the oven at the Chinese BBQ shops.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #13
Executive Chef

I thought this was the same as a tabletop convection oven but I looked it up and it's not, really. It may work on the same principal. It costs 3 times as much. I have a tabletop convection oven and I only use it once in a while but I bought it used at the Goodwill store for $15. I will look for an Airfryer there, too, but it might not be there for a while since they are relatively a new item. People have not had them long enough to get tired of them.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:00 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

I have been using my Airfryer for almost 1.5 years and I am definitely not tired of it! The sad thing is that my kitchen is too small for an oven, so the Airfryer has acted very well as my mini oven, not only for frying but for baking cakes too.

So, if you are thinking of getting one, I would recommend getting it with the baking tin. It's more versatile and it's easier to wash ( as opposed to trying to scrub the gnarly bits off the mesh basket).

The downside of the baking tin is that it's rather small! It's good enough for 2-3 servings, but if you are going to cater for a party, it's going to require multiple batches.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:11 AM   #15
Sous Chef

We have a TFal ActiFry that we have used a few times but for the past year has been sitting in a cupboard. I can't say I would recommend this particular air fryer as the only thing it seems to do well is french fries. They won't taste like fast food fries but they aren't bad. And you can't use it for freshly breaded, floured or battered foods. The coating will come off. (the paddle knocks the coating off)

I think the Phillips model might have been a better choice but I don't see how it could cook anything better than I can do in our convection microwave or oven.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:59 PM   #16
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_J_Dawg View Post
We have a TFal ActiFry that we have used a few times but for the past year has been sitting in a cupboard. I can't say I would recommend this particular air fryer as the only thing it seems to do well is french fries. They won't taste like fast food fries but they aren't bad. And you can't use it for freshly breaded, floured or battered foods. The coating will come off. (the paddle knocks the coating off)

I think the Phillips model might have been a better choice but I don't see how it could cook anything better than I can do in our convection microwave or oven.

Thank you for your review on the Tfal. It had crossed my mind about that paddle knocking coated items off.Cooking in a circle might spin me twice round baby twice round. Like a record baby twice round, round round.. You know. (good luck getting that tune out of your mind for the rest of the day.) Doesn't sound like much fun. Inconvenient if you want to cook a steak.

I'm also looking at the Big Boss models on Amazon. Phillips to.

I wish the YouTube videos would show a little more info on the products.

Were planning a long vacation on the road soon.One of these would be perfect for when were tired of eating out and just want to stay in our suite and cook in for a few nights.

Can they be used with an AC Adaptor. In the truck.If we decide to stop at a park for a quick picnic lunch?

Thank you

Munky.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:37 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post

Thank you for your review on the Tfal. It had crossed my mind about that paddle knocking coated items off.Cooking in a circle might spin me twice round baby twice round. Like a record baby twice round, round round.. You know. (good luck getting that tune out of your mind for the rest of the day.) Doesn't sound like much fun. Inconvenient if you want to cook a steak.

I'm also looking at the Big Boss models on Amazon. Phillips to.

I wish the YouTube videos would show a little more info on the products.

Were planning a long vacation on the road soon.One of these would be perfect for when were tired of eating out and just want to stay in our suite and cook in for a few nights.

Can they be used with an AC Adaptor. In the truck.If we decide to stop at a park for a quick picnic lunch?

Thank you

Munky.
They are fairly high wattage. You would need a minimum 1500 - 2000 watt converter to run one properly I would think.
Old 11-02-2016, 02:31 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Air Fryer Cooking in the Year 2016

I think maybe we need to open a new air fryer cooking board. This one looks to be no longer active.

I'm new to air fryer cooking and would like to discuss recipes and shortcut procedures, and so on with others who are totally in love with air fryer cooking. I don't need to discuss purchasing models. I'm past that point. I want to discuss recipes and a multitude of how-to-do's. I am a single person household and basically cook for one, with left overs.

Please advise if I should look for an air fryer forum elsewhere. Thanks.

CB
Old 11-02-2016, 05:34 PM   #19
Senior Cook

I bought a TFal Actifry on Groupon last year for a very low price. If you are dieting it can make crispy potatoes with no oil at all. I don't make a lot of French Fries or things like that dieting or not, but if you are on Weight Watchers or something I'd say go for it. I haven't really used it for much else.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:37 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbokay View Post
I think maybe we need to open a new air fryer cooking board. This one looks to be no longer active.

I'm new to air fryer cooking and would like to discuss recipes and shortcut procedures, and so on with others who are totally in love with air fryer cooking. I don't need to discuss purchasing models. I'm past that point. I want to discuss recipes and a multitude of how-to-do's. I am a single person household and basically cook for one, with left overs.

Please advise if I should look for an air fryer forum elsewhere. Thanks.

CB
Hi. You have joined the Discuss Cooking forum and responded to a thread about the air fryer. I'm not sure how many people here have one, but this forum is not dedicated to that one topic. You will need to look for another forum elsewhere if that's what you want. I don't have an air fryer, so I can't recommend one.