"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #11
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,899
I considered one of those about a year ago. But I decided the cost was a bit too much for how often I would really use it. I am glad I didn't jump on it because I guarantee it would be banished to the area where things go that don't get used very often.

If you have room for it and you will use it very regularly then go for it !
__________________

__________________
MrsLMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:25 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,936
Great review, thanks MM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMunchies View Post
I agree that the basic design principle is based on the concept of the convection oven, so it really is more like "baking" that "frying", BUT in practice, the small size of the Airfryer relative to the heating element and the size of the fan means that the heat is really concentrated and the fan much more effective at vaporizing the oil droplets into a very small space, so good crispy results can be obtained that would be impossible if you baked the same items in a normal convection oven. Baking foods, eg, spring rolls, chicken kievs, etc, in a convection oven that were really meant to be fried will often result in a disappointing un-crisp coating, sometimes too soggy and sometimes hard like cardboard. But in the Airfryer they turn out really crispily.

Frozen "already-prepared" supermarket foods for frying, eg, various frozen crumbed and battered foods, will not require any additional oil at all. In addition, excess oil inside these foods are collected into the tray underneath. Fresh foods with their own fat, eg, chicken wings and pork belly, etc, will not require any additional oil for cooking. Fresh foods without their own fat will require 1 or 2 seconds of cooking oil spray, or otherwise, you can add a maximum of one tablespoon of oil mixed into the crumb mix for the entire batch.

My favourite food to cook in the Airfryer is Roast Duck Breast. I just rub Chinese five spice powder all over the deboned duck breasts, then lightly sprinkle the skin side with a little bit of salt, and put them into the Airfryer for 22 minutes. Too easy to get yummily bubbling golden crispy skin! I am 100% sure that I cannot get these same results in my convection oven.

The only slight inconvenience that I have found with the Airfryer is that fresh meats can leave some bits stuck onto the wire mesh, but I just use a small brush to scrub the mesh on both sides, and every once in a while when I am feeling obsessive, I use a clean toothbrush to scrub the rim underneath the wire mesh as well.

My sister and cousin have bought their own Airfryers after trying the Roast Duck Breasts I cooked for them at a party. I have also cooked 12 of these Roast Duck Breasts for 40 people to eat as part of a lunch. Everyone said they tasted great and many people asked me how I got the skin so crispy, and I gave all the credit to the Airfryer, because honestly, how can I take credit just for rubbing on some Chinese five spice powder and sprinkling on a little bit of salt? Even the Chinese people at the lunch were saying that they thought my Roast Duck Breasts tasted better than the Roast Duck fresh out of the oven at the Chinese BBQ shops.
__________________

__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #13
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 3,029
I thought this was the same as a tabletop convection oven but I looked it up and it's not, really. It may work on the same principal. It costs 3 times as much. I have a tabletop convection oven and I only use it once in a while but I bought it used at the Goodwill store for $15. I will look for an Airfryer there, too, but it might not be there for a while since they are relatively a new item. People have not had them long enough to get tired of them.
__________________
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:00 AM   #14
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2
I have been using my Airfryer for almost 1.5 years and I am definitely not tired of it! The sad thing is that my kitchen is too small for an oven, so the Airfryer has acted very well as my mini oven, not only for frying but for baking cakes too.

So, if you are thinking of getting one, I would recommend getting it with the baking tin. It's more versatile and it's easier to wash ( as opposed to trying to scrub the gnarly bits off the mesh basket).

The downside of the baking tin is that it's rather small! It's good enough for 2-3 servings, but if you are going to cater for a party, it's going to require multiple batches.
__________________
Cooking out of the box. Nutrition science for busy people. @evebeautybox
Ilona Gabrielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:11 AM   #15
Sous Chef
 
Rocket_J_Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Barrie, Ontario
Posts: 788
We have a TFal ActiFry that we have used a few times but for the past year has been sitting in a cupboard. I can't say I would recommend this particular air fryer as the only thing it seems to do well is french fries. They won't taste like fast food fries but they aren't bad. And you can't use it for freshly breaded, floured or battered foods. The coating will come off. (the paddle knocks the coating off)

I think the Phillips model might have been a better choice but I don't see how it could cook anything better than I can do in our convection microwave or oven.
__________________
Rocket_J_Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:59 PM   #16
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_J_Dawg View Post
We have a TFal ActiFry that we have used a few times but for the past year has been sitting in a cupboard. I can't say I would recommend this particular air fryer as the only thing it seems to do well is french fries. They won't taste like fast food fries but they aren't bad. And you can't use it for freshly breaded, floured or battered foods. The coating will come off. (the paddle knocks the coating off)

I think the Phillips model might have been a better choice but I don't see how it could cook anything better than I can do in our convection microwave or oven.

Thank you for your review on the Tfal. It had crossed my mind about that paddle knocking coated items off.Cooking in a circle might spin me twice round baby twice round. Like a record baby twice round, round round.. You know. (good luck getting that tune out of your mind for the rest of the day.) Doesn't sound like much fun. Inconvenient if you want to cook a steak.

I'm also looking at the Big Boss models on Amazon. Phillips to.

I wish the YouTube videos would show a little more info on the products.

Were planning a long vacation on the road soon.One of these would be perfect for when were tired of eating out and just want to stay in our suite and cook in for a few nights.

Can they be used with an AC Adaptor. In the truck.If we decide to stop at a park for a quick picnic lunch?

Thank you

Munky.
__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:37 PM   #17
Sous Chef
 
Rocket_J_Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Barrie, Ontario
Posts: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post

Thank you for your review on the Tfal. It had crossed my mind about that paddle knocking coated items off.Cooking in a circle might spin me twice round baby twice round. Like a record baby twice round, round round.. You know. (good luck getting that tune out of your mind for the rest of the day.) Doesn't sound like much fun. Inconvenient if you want to cook a steak.

I'm also looking at the Big Boss models on Amazon. Phillips to.

I wish the YouTube videos would show a little more info on the products.

Were planning a long vacation on the road soon.One of these would be perfect for when were tired of eating out and just want to stay in our suite and cook in for a few nights.

Can they be used with an AC Adaptor. In the truck.If we decide to stop at a park for a quick picnic lunch?

Thank you

Munky.
They are fairly high wattage. You would need a minimum 1500 - 2000 watt converter to run one properly I would think.
__________________
Rocket_J_Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 02:31 PM   #18
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: No. California
Posts: 2
Air Fryer Cooking in the Year 2016

I think maybe we need to open a new air fryer cooking board. This one looks to be no longer active.

I'm new to air fryer cooking and would like to discuss recipes and shortcut procedures, and so on with others who are totally in love with air fryer cooking. I don't need to discuss purchasing models. I'm past that point. I want to discuss recipes and a multitude of how-to-do's. I am a single person household and basically cook for one, with left overs.

Please advise if I should look for an air fryer forum elsewhere. Thanks.

CB
__________________
cbokay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:34 PM   #19
Senior Cook
 
Sue Lau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: USA,Ohio
Posts: 133
I bought a TFal Actifry on Groupon last year for a very low price. If you are dieting it can make crispy potatoes with no oil at all. I don't make a lot of French Fries or things like that dieting or not, but if you are on Weight Watchers or something I'd say go for it. I haven't really used it for much else.
__________________
There's no such thing as a little garlic.
Sue Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:37 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbokay View Post
I think maybe we need to open a new air fryer cooking board. This one looks to be no longer active.

I'm new to air fryer cooking and would like to discuss recipes and shortcut procedures, and so on with others who are totally in love with air fryer cooking. I don't need to discuss purchasing models. I'm past that point. I want to discuss recipes and a multitude of how-to-do's. I am a single person household and basically cook for one, with left overs.

Please advise if I should look for an air fryer forum elsewhere. Thanks.

CB
Hi. You have joined the Discuss Cooking forum and responded to a thread about the air fryer. I'm not sure how many people here have one, but this forum is not dedicated to that one topic. You will need to look for another forum elsewhere if that's what you want. I don't have an air fryer, so I can't recommend one.
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.