"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-30-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Air Fryer help

I want to buy an airfryer. It is totally new appliance will you please suggest about it?

radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

I've had my Philips Airfryer for a few months and it has now become an indispensable appliance in my kitchen.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I have never heard of them. Picture please? How does it work? More info?
Old 08-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have never heard of them. Picture please? How does it work? More info?
It's a countertop oven that lets you "oven fry" food. It's not a fryer, really.

"Using Rapid Air technology, the Airfryer circulates hot air around a metal mesh cooking basket, requiring little or no oil as it fries, bakes and grills. The starfish design on the bottom of the Airfryer facilitates air circulation, ensuring your favorite foods cook evenly."
Old 08-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
It's a countertop oven that lets you "oven fry" food. It's not a fryer, really.

"Using Rapid Air technology, the Airfryer circulates hot air around a metal mesh cooking basket, requiring little or no oil as it fries, bakes and grills. The starfish design on the bottom of the Airfryer facilitates air circulation, ensuring your favorite foods cook evenly."
Thanks Jenny. I know what you are talking about. I have seen the infomercials on it.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I have heard some good things about the air fryer
Old 08-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I have one--I've used it twice. The rest of the time, it spends in the basement with the other appliances I don't use every day.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #8
Master Chef

You cannot fry food without oil.

It's a tabletop convection oven.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:27 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

I agree that the basic design principle is based on the concept of the convection oven, so it really is more like "baking" that "frying", BUT in practice, the small size of the Airfryer relative to the heating element and the size of the fan means that the heat is really concentrated and the fan much more effective at vaporizing the oil droplets into a very small space, so good crispy results can be obtained that would be impossible if you baked the same items in a normal convection oven. Baking foods, eg, spring rolls, chicken kievs, etc, in a convection oven that were really meant to be fried will often result in a disappointing un-crisp coating, sometimes too soggy and sometimes hard like cardboard. But in the Airfryer they turn out really crispily.

Frozen "already-prepared" supermarket foods for frying, eg, various frozen crumbed and battered foods, will not require any additional oil at all. In addition, excess oil inside these foods are collected into the tray underneath. Fresh foods with their own fat, eg, chicken wings and pork belly, etc, will not require any additional oil for cooking. Fresh foods without their own fat will require 1 or 2 seconds of cooking oil spray, or otherwise, you can add a maximum of one tablespoon of oil mixed into the crumb mix for the entire batch.

My favourite food to cook in the Airfryer is Roast Duck Breast. I just rub Chinese five spice powder all over the deboned duck breasts, then lightly sprinkle the skin side with a little bit of salt, and put them into the Airfryer for 22 minutes. Too easy to get yummily bubbling golden crispy skin! I am 100% sure that I cannot get these same results in my convection oven.

The only slight inconvenience that I have found with the Airfryer is that fresh meats can leave some bits stuck onto the wire mesh, but I just use a small brush to scrub the mesh on both sides, and every once in a while when I am feeling obsessive, I use a clean toothbrush to scrub the rim underneath the wire mesh as well.

My sister and cousin have bought their own Airfryers after trying the Roast Duck Breasts I cooked for them at a party. I have also cooked 12 of these Roast Duck Breasts for 40 people to eat as part of a lunch. Everyone said they tasted great and many people asked me how I got the skin so crispy, and I gave all the credit to the Airfryer, because honestly, how can I take credit just for rubbing on some Chinese five spice powder and sprinkling on a little bit of salt? Even the Chinese people at the lunch were saying that they thought my Roast Duck Breasts tasted better than the Roast Duck fresh out of the oven at the Chinese BBQ shops.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Oh dear, Radhuni, see what you started? Now I want one too!

Nice review, MM!