Air in vacuum-sealed bag phenomenon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chopstix

Head Chef
This happens to me once in a while:

I would vacuum-seal something (say, cheese, meat, or nuts), stick it in the freezer, then after a month or so, find that there's air in it. I think the seal of the bag is still intact however because:
a) I re-examine all the sealed borders.
b) I am able to re-vacuum-seal the same bag, even by cutting and sealing the factory-sealed side of the bag just to test the integrity of the Foodsaver-sealed side. (My Foodsaver does not seal if it does not achieve a vacuum. So if there was even a pin hole in the bag due to snagging in the freezer or defective seal, the Foodsaver won't seal it and the indicator light does not go on.)

Btw, I only use the prescribed Foodsaver plastic bags.

My question: Can the sealed food possibly be generating gas over time?

Please note that this phenomenon happens only once in a while. Most of the time, my sealed stuff stay intact forever.

TIA!

That happens to me once in a while, too. Both with my FS and with my handi-vac, freezer and fridge.

There can be a tiny leak in a seam or somewhere in the bag that's so small it doesn't prevent a vacuum long enough to make a seal. then over time, air leaks in.

I doubt any foods are generating their own gas in the freezer.

You're most probably right Andy. Sometimes there's so much air in the problematic bag that it can't possibly have come from the food. Thanks Andy and Pacanis.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom