"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 09-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #31
Senior Cook

The $80 mixer

Yes. Most places sell it for around $80.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Pot View Post
Yes. Most places sell it for around $80.
Kitchenaid ?

Old 09-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #33
Senior Cook

Kitchenaid

Yes, Kitchenaid.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #34
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
...I just don't want to buy another mixer from them because of it. This was to save a few cents on each mixer. Smacks of an accountant's decision. That's why I want to try another brand this time.
Quote:
Yes, I know. And that's why I am not going to buy another mixer from them. Who knows what else they are skimping on to save a few cents that will show up in another five years or so...
Quote:
They (KA) may very well be making reliable models again and I hope you all have better luck with them than I did. But I bought this thing thinking I was getting something really great. Something that was worth the money over the long haul. I didn't, it wasn't and I won't get fooled again, as The Who might say...
[QUOTE=Stock Pot;1178898]...so I am not buying another one from them. I'll try something else this time...They will not get a second chance from me.

Quote:
The $80 Kitchenaid stand mixer is finally here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Kitchenaid ?
Quote:
Yes, Kitchenaid.
It's good to see you're open-minded! i hope you enjoy your new purchase.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #35
Senior Cook

sorry- wrong brand

lol- no Hamilton Beach is the new one. Sorry. Anyway, it's inexpensive and seems to handle 3 1/2 cups OK. I can live with that.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #36
Certified Pretend Chef

OK. Well, good luck with the new mixer regardless.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:09 PM   #37
Executive Chef

The Cuisinart SM-70 7-Quart Stand Mixer is 1000 watts and will set you back a little less than $400.00, the 550 watt Breville 5 quart stand mixer is about $300.00, and the 7 quart Viking stand mixer, weighing in a 1000 watts and will set you back $425.00, are some of the alternatives to the 6 quart, 575 watt Kitchen-Aid professional, at around $600.00.

Personally, I have a KA 475 watt 5 quart professional model that was a gift back about 7 years ago and the only problem I have had with it is the hinge pin keeps trying to sneak out and I have to rely on Maxwell's silver hammer to put it back in place. If I was in the market for a new one, I would most likely buy the Cuisinart because I have many of their products, everything from an electric carving knife to a toaster oven, and I have been happy with all of them.

I would also seriously consider buying a factory refurbished one for around half the price of a brand new one. I have a refurbished blender/food processor and a refurbished toaster oven from Cuisinart and can't tell the difference between factory refurbished and brand spankin' new.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #38
Senior Cook

Thanks. If the cheapo Hamilton Beach doesn't work out I will try one of those other brands, particularly the Cuisinart. I can't even remember how old my Cuisinart Food Processor is, but it is still getting the job done every time.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef
The Cuisinart SM-70 7-Quart Stand Mixer is 1000 watts and will set you back a little less than $400.00, the 550 watt Breville 5 quart stand mixer is about $300.00, and the 7 quart Viking stand mixer, weighing in a 1000 watts and will set you back $425.00, are some of the alternatives to the 6 quart, 575 watt Kitchen-Aid professional, at around $600.00.

Personally, I have a KA 475 watt 5 quart professional model that was a gift back about 7 years ago and the only problem I have had with it is the hinge pin keeps trying to sneak out and I have to rely on Maxwell's silver hammer to put it back in place. If I was in the market for a new one, I would most likely buy the Cuisinart because I have many of their products, everything from an electric carving knife to a toaster oven, and I have been happy with all of them.

I would also seriously consider buying a factory refurbished one for around half the price of a brand new one. I have a refurbished blender/food processor and a refurbished toaster oven from Cuisinart and can't tell the difference between factory refurbished and brand spankin' new.
Is yours a tilt head KA? I'm a little confused with professional and having a hinge pin, I might be missing something.

If it is a tilt head you can set it on its side and take a screw driver a go up through the base and tighten the hinge pin screw, that will keep it from backing out. I tapped mine back in place for probably 10 years before thinking to Google a solution,

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Pot
Thanks. If the cheapo Hamilton Beach doesn't work out I will try one of those other brands, particularly the Cuisinart. I can't even remember how old my Cuisinart Food Processor is, but it is still getting the job done every time.
I understand your frustration, and you are certainly entitled to that, but it sounds like your KA's issues were fairly minor, most likely could have been fixed easily.

I don't know of many machines that should go without maintainence for decades. Mine is 18 years old and it is past due for a going over.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kitchenaid, mixer