"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 09-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #51
Senior Cook

Mine is not a tilt-head, so those may be different. Yeah, I don't think there is any such thing as "too" heavy duty with these things.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #52
Senior Cook

But you do have to be able to fit them in the kitchen, lol.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #53
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Pot
That was so easy I think I will change the grease in the transmission assembly, too. I just ordered a can of Kitchenaid mixer grease from Amazon. Also, according to one video I watched, the grease will start to separate and leak if a) it gets hot from working really hard, or b) the mixer is used infrequently and the grease sits. So if you have one of these things and you use it infrequently it is a good idea to turn it on every couple of weeks and let it run for a minute or two.

I bet that's true for the Hamilton Beach mixer, too, so I'm going to have to find a way to run that every couple of weeks now. The Kitchenaid will be back on bread dough work (it's a lot stronger), so it will get plenty of frequent use automatically.

I wonder if anyone makes a good synthetic food quality grease that won't separate like that.
My vintage KA needs a grease change, and I'm going to do my 18 year old machine at the same time. While I'm doing my 18 year old ultra power I'm going to inspect the worm gear.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #54
Executive Chef

It's surprising that a gasket change does not go along with a grease change.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #55
Senior Cook

It probably should go along with the grease change. But it is not like a car engine head gasket- never gets that hot, etc., so I don't think it is necessary. If the grease is thick, the way it is supposed to be, then it should stay in there. But if I could pick up the exact gasket for a dollar or two I would definitely do that. But I don't have any leaking problems and I hope to avoid them in the future by changing the grease now.

Now I need Popsicle sticks to scrape out the old grease.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:39 AM   #56
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Pot View Post
It probably should go along with the grease change. But it is not like a car engine head gasket- never gets that hot, etc., so I don't think it is necessary. If the grease is thick, the way it is supposed to be, then it should stay in there. But if I could pick up the exact gasket for a dollar or two I would definitely do that. But I don't have any leaking problems and I hope to avoid them in the future by changing the grease now.

Now I need Popsicle sticks to scrape out the old grease.
Cut up some credit cards.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #57
Senior Cook

Easy

The grease change was easy and only slightly messy. I found out that Kitchenaid recommends that you run it at high speed for a couple of minutes once a month to keep the grease mixed.

I am thinking more highly now that I have had a chance to take it apart and see its innards. Very easy to maintain but it does require more maintenance than I thought. Still, an hour spent changing the grease every couple of years is no big deal.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #58
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Joshatdot Send a message via AIM to Joshatdot Send a message via MSN to Joshatdot Send a message via Yahoo to Joshatdot Send a message via Skype™ to Joshatdot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Pot View Post
I wonder if anyone makes a good synthetic food quality grease that won't separate like that.
You can use Super-Lube Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease. Super LubeŽ is Food Grade, rated H-1 by the USDA and NSF for incidental food contact. It is an excellent Dielectric and operates over a temperature range from -45° to 450° F.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:56 PM   #59
Senior Cook

Thanks. Next time I will use that for sure. I much prefer synthetic oil and grease, transmission fluids, whatever.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #60
Senior Cook

Those look like real nice units. I've reconciled with my Kitchenaid after watching a couple of Youtube videos that show how to take them apart. The repair was easy enough and I added lockwashers (which should have been there to bein with) so it won't happen again.

Tags
kitchenaid, mixer