"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 08-16-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Alternatives to KitchenAid Stand Mixer

When my ten year old KitchenAid stand mixer (supposedly professional grade model) started to wobble back and forth violently when mixing bread dough I did some research. Turns out they were using a nylon gear back then to save a few cents and it is a common problem. So I'm mad at them and I want to replace it with another brand. Does anyone have any experience with stand mixers other than KitchenAid that can handle, say, ten cups of flour at a time for bread dough?

Old 08-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

If your mixer is wobbling back and forth while mixing 10 cups of bread dough, there is no problem with the drive gear whether it's nylon or metal. When the gear fails, the dough hook stops moving.

While I don't know which model you have, I'd suggest you check your owner's manual to determine the maximum speed for dough mixing and the max. amount of flour your mixer can handle. I'm guessing you're mixing too much flour at too high a speed.

I know this because I made those mistakes awhile ago and they cost me a repair charge for the gear. Sadly it was all my fault, not the mixer's.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
Senior Cook

No- it is the gear and a well known problem.

No, it wobbles back and forth mixing 6 cups, well below its rated capacity, which it never did when it was new. As I said, I did some research and there was most definitely a problem with the mixers made during the years mine was, KithenAid knows it, has acknowledged it, and has since replaced the nylon gear with a metal gear to fix it. I just don't want to buy another mixer from them because of it. This was to save a few cents on each mixer. Smacks of an accountant's decision. That's why I want to try another brand this time.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Pot View Post
No, it wobbles back and forth mixing 6 cups, well below its rated capacity, which it never did when it was new. As I said, I did some research and there was most definitely a problem with the mixers made during the years mine was, KithenAid knows it, has acknowledged it, and has since replaced the nylon gear with a metal gear to fix it. I just don't want to buy another mixer from them because of it. This was to save a few cents on each mixer. Smacks of an accountant's decision. That's why I want to try another brand this time.

Yes, KA knew of the problem and fixed it by eliminating nylon gears from new models. They make a very good mixer. If you want a larger capacity mixer, look into the KA 7-quart.

I cannot speak to the quality of other brands of stand mixers.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

The nylon gear is there to protect the motor, that gear will fail before burning up the motor. I believe that most models still have it, but the rest of the gears are metal.

Where that gear is on the mixer, there is no way that the nylon worm gear would cause the mixer to wobble.

There is the Cuisinart, Viking, Hamilton Beach Pro, Waring (all the same mixer with different labels slapped on them). Their mechanism for protecting the motor involves an electronic function that will stop the motor when it starts to heat up, you'll have to wait a while to use it again.

The biggest reason that I will likely stay with Kitchenaid is that they are fairly easy to fix if something fails, there are lots of Youtube videos and the parts are easy to get.

What part is wobbling? Is it something that just needs adjustment? If the nylon worm gear failed it would only cause the beater to stop moving.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
Head Chef

I don't know how many cups of flour it will handle, but I WILL say that a Hobart N50 mixer will beat a Kitchenaid like it hurt somebody!

Ask Gadzooks! I am sure he will agree.
The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:39 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Yes, I know. And that's why I am not going to buy another mixer from them. Who knows what else they are skimping on to save a few cents that will show up in another five years or so. I am looking into a $99 Hamilton Beach 300 watt model that WalMart sells. I just don't know its capacities yet and I can't find any knowledgeable reviews. The KitchenAid model I bought was a 350 watt "professional" model about ten years ago.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
Senior Cook

The whole motor head unit lurches back and forth as soon as anything thickens up in the bowl. Thanks, I'll check the YouTube videos before I buy anything. I've never, ever, overloaded this thing. I always kept quantities below capacity and I suppose I shouldn't complain- it lasted ten years or thereabouts, but appliances like this used to last twenty or thirty years. If they don't anymore then there is no sense in spending more for the "pro" models, imo.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Thanks, I will check out the Hobart.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Pot View Post
Yes, I know. And that's why I am not going to buy another mixer from them. Who knows what else they are skimping on to save a few cents that will show up in another five years or so. I am looking into a $99 Hamilton Beach 300 watt model that WalMart sells. I just don't know its capacities yet and I can't find any knowledgeable reviews. The KitchenAid model I bought was a 350 watt "professional" model about ten years ago.

If it was 350 watt then it wasn't a "professional" model. If I remember right, the Pro models have either a 525 or a 575 watt motor. I think that the larger Artisan model has a 475 watt motor. My Professional 600 has a 575 watt motor.

Tags
kitchenaid, mixer