Aluminum foil on bottom of oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldrustycars

Senior Cook
I keep aluminum foil on the bottom of my oven to keep it clean. Today my daughter was making cupcakes, the tops were perfect, the bottoms burned. She never had this happen before, and this was her first time in this oven. I know the temp is accurate, I checked it with a thermometer. Could the foil be reflecting heat or something? She's made lots of cupcakes, they are her specialty, just wondering if the foil might cause it. Thanks

I don't know if it burned her cupcakes, but it can cause all kinds of other problems. Consider buying a teflon coated mat made especially for lining the bottom of your oven. It's removable and washable, so it will last a long time. You can order them on line at Amazon.com, or if you're the go to the store and check it out type, they're available at Bed, Bugs, and Beyond

>>> I keep aluminum foil on the bottom of my oven to keep it clean<<<

It voids your warranty. Every oven manufacturer specifically advises against it. Foil traps heat or will cause "melting", resulting in damage to the product and a shock or fire hazard.

Teflon coated mats [PTFE-Coated Fiberglass] supposedly are “Safe up to 500°F.” On the floor of the oven, less than a centimetre from an element in a stove, it is going to get a lot hotter than 500°F ..Teflon deteriorates after 500°F/260°C. PTFE gives off toxic gas at anything higher than that.

Back
Top Bottom