"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-04-2008, 03:49 AM   #11
Master Chef

I have a KA-Pro 6 ... yeah the dough can climb the hook - but if you grease the hook first, and follow the hints in the instruction manual about how quickly to combine ingredients to prevent the dough from climbing the hook - not much of a problem. I usually have to stop and pull the dough down a time or two ... big deal, beats having to do all the kneading by hand.

The spiral dough hook looks like it is great - but for some reason KA doesn't suggest it as a retro-fit for older mixers. I sent the KA support site a query about it ... they said my mixer wasn't strong enough to use it ... when I sent back a message noting that mixers that were lower powered than mine were being sold with them so why couldn't mine handle it ... they never answered - and I got distracted and didn't pursue the issue.

I've been making 2 loaves of bread a week for about 10 years in this mixer ... shows how much of a problem the "dough climbing" problem is to me.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:43 AM   #12
Head Chef

What KA was trying to tell you is the attachment holder assembly is not engineered the same as the old KA mixers. The new assembly is designed for the increased pressure the spiral dough hook causes.

In other words, put a spiral hook on an older mixer and you have a good chance of the attachment system being pushed up into the motor head.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:34 AM   #13
Head Chef

All I can say is that I love the spiral hook that came with my Pro 600. Never have a problem with the dough trying to climb up the hook. But I too still knead the last couple of minutes by hand, not because I know how to feel the dough yet, but because I want to learn that feel, and the only way to learn is to do it.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:07 AM   #14
Sous Chef

I've found I can keep the dough off the top of the spiral hook by putting a flexible spatula against the climbing dough and lightly pushing down while the machine is running.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:33 AM   #15
Executive Chef

I also need to knead after mixing something about putting my hands on the dough makes me think you are getter a better loaf etc.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:26 PM   #16
Cook

I used to have this problem, but after following directions in The Bread Bible, I found that if you use a higher speed, like #4, it kneads the dough just fine, but keeps it "flung" out just enough to keep from climbing.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:36 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
I used to have this problem, but after following directions in The Bread Bible, I found that if you use a higher speed, like #4, it kneads the dough just fine, but keeps it "flung" out just enough to keep from climbing.
I have the Bread Bible too. I will have to try the #4 speed next time I use the KA.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:37 PM   #18
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
I have the Bread Bible too. I will have to try the #4 speed next time I use the KA.
Try Rose's recipe for Basic Hearth Bread. It's pretty good and very simple. Also her ciabatta recipe is excellent.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:38 PM   #19
Head Chef

You do know that KA only recommends speed 2 for dough.
The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 03:41 PM   #20
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolady View Post
You do know that KA only recommends speed 2 for dough.
Really? Maybe it's because they have junky transmissions.

I follow recipes that I haven't used before and found that using #4 kept the dough from climbing.