Annoyance with Kitchen Aid mixer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyCook61

Master Chef
Every time I use the stand mixer to make bread dough, the dough creeps up the dough hook, very annoying because I have to keep stopping the machine, push the dough back down every 2 min. I have an old mixer with the hook , 4.5KSS . The dough hook for newer machines do not fit my machine. I ended up having to knead the dough by hand, not fun, especially trying to do this on a counter that is really too high for me. I've always had this problem with the dough hook since I had the machine , which is why I like the no knead bread.
Addition : I just bought a different dough hook online , suppose to help prevent the climbing dough problem. We'll see next time I make bread in it.

Last edited:
I have the same problem, but I've found I like to knead by hand towards the end anyway so I can get a feel for the dough to make sure it's the way I like or want it.
I find kneading theraputic.... call me crazy dough lady....

But I agree.... nothing I do makes the "climbing" any more fun!!!

I have a cheaper mixer, I really want a kitchen aid though but my sister bought me one that spins on its own for my birthday and it doesnt seem to do that on me. The brand is west bend. I love the darn thing.

I have the same problem, but I've found I like to knead by hand towards the end anyway so I can get a feel for the dough to make sure it's the way I like or want it.
I find kneading theraputic.... call me crazy dough lady....

But I agree.... nothing I do makes the "climbing" any more fun!!!

+1.
It is what Nick Malgieri says to do--always finish the kneading process by hand so you get a feel for the dough. (I have taken demonstration classes with him many times)

I find my KA does a good job of kneading the dough, but like the others, I still want the dough to be in my hands for the final kneading, even if only for a minute or two before I shape into a ball for proofing. I still have not gone online to read reviews on the new spiral dough mixer for my KA to determine if I want to buy it.

Every time I use the stand mixer to make bread dough, the dough creeps up the dough hook, very annoying because I have to keep stopping the machine, push the dough back down every 2 min...
Addition : I just bought a different dough hook online , suppose to help prevent the climbing dough problem. We'll see next time I make bread in it.

I always apply a light coating of oil all over the top half of the dough hook before I start. This helps keep the dough from climbing.

I am curious about the new hook you bought. Can you post a link?

I wonder if the corkscrew might help actually....
The giant 100 lb mixer at work has a corkscrew rather than a hook.... dough never climbs, but I just always figured it was batch size relative to mixer space since the largest batches of dough we do are 75 lbs..... but the 75 lbs don't climb either...
hmmmm...
maybe I should make 100 lb batch at work on saturday just to test.....
nah.

If your mixer did not come with a spiral dough hook, don't use it!

It can damage/destroy your mixer. There is a special design in the new mixers that allow for the spiral dough hook to be used safely.

Andy, I think it looks a little like a corkscrew.
I didn't order the spiral hook, what I had ordered was similar to the one I have now, but have cancelled that order since I realized I picked out the wrong hook for my machine, thinking I had the 4.5 but I have the K5SS . :ermm:

I have a KA-Pro 6 ... yeah the dough can climb the hook - but if you grease the hook first, and follow the hints in the instruction manual about how quickly to combine ingredients to prevent the dough from climbing the hook - not much of a problem. I usually have to stop and pull the dough down a time or two ... big deal, beats having to do all the kneading by hand.

The spiral dough hook looks like it is great - but for some reason KA doesn't suggest it as a retro-fit for older mixers. I sent the KA support site a query about it ... they said my mixer wasn't strong enough to use it ... when I sent back a message noting that mixers that were lower powered than mine were being sold with them so why couldn't mine handle it ... they never answered - and I got distracted and didn't pursue the issue.

I've been making 2 loaves of bread a week for about 10 years in this mixer ... shows how much of a problem the "dough climbing" problem is to me.

Last edited:
What KA was trying to tell you is the attachment holder assembly is not engineered the same as the old KA mixers. The new assembly is designed for the increased pressure the spiral dough hook causes.

In other words, put a spiral hook on an older mixer and you have a good chance of the attachment system being pushed up into the motor head.

All I can say is that I love the spiral hook that came with my Pro 600. Never have a problem with the dough trying to climb up the hook. But I too still knead the last couple of minutes by hand, not because I know how to feel the dough yet, but because I want to learn that feel, and the only way to learn is to do it. :chef:

I've found I can keep the dough off the top of the spiral hook by putting a flexible spatula against the climbing dough and lightly pushing down while the machine is running.

:) I also need to knead after mixing something about putting my hands on the dough makes me think you are getter a better loaf etc.

I used to have this problem, but after following directions in The Bread Bible, I found that if you use a higher speed, like #4, it kneads the dough just fine, but keeps it "flung" out just enough to keep from climbing.

I used to have this problem, but after following directions in The Bread Bible, I found that if you use a higher speed, like #4, it kneads the dough just fine, but keeps it "flung" out just enough to keep from climbing.

I have the Bread Bible too. I will have to try the #4 speed next time I use the KA.

You do know that KA only recommends speed 2 for dough.

Really? Maybe it's because they have junky transmissions.:LOL:

I follow recipes that I haven't used before and found that using #4 kept the dough from climbing.

Back
Top Bottom