"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 06-21-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Another "new" mixer

I saw this and just had to have it! It won it on ebay for $15 with free shipping. I wonder what Hamilton Beach would do if I sent in the warranty card?

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I saw this and just had to have it! It won it on ebay for $15 with free shipping. I wonder what Hamilton Beach would do if I sent in the warranty card?

Very nice! I have an old Dormeier, "Little Dormy," that has tailfins on it, kinda like Flash Gordon or Buck Roger's rocket ships from the old serials. It is, however, out of warranty, I'm pretty certain. Send in the card, or a photocopy, if you want to keep the original. It'll be worth the stamp to make someone at HB smile.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Awful lot of plastic.
IMHO, appliances like this may have some sentimental appeal but are too small for large batches and too much of a pain (storage & cleaning) for small quantities.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Wait a minute, do we need to do an intervention ;-)
Old 06-21-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Awful lot of plastic.
IMHO, appliances like this may have some sentimental appeal but are too small for large batches and too much of a pain (storage & cleaning) for small quantities.
Not my Dormeier...metal! I still use it for small batches, but even if I didn't, I'd probably convert it to a stapler and keep it on my desk. It just looks cool.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:31 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill
Awful lot of plastic.
Maybe he wants to mix small batches. I use my little KA mixer, I'm not a baker. Bakechef also enjoys collecting vintage appliances for decoration.

Looks pretty cool!
Old 06-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Awful lot of plastic.
Mainly for decor, but I have used it a couple of times already.

There are times that I'll use a hand mixer. When I'm beating egg whites for a batter that my KA is taking care of (I only have one bowl for it). Since this will be sitting out for display, it is easily within reach for small jobs. I already have a Kitchenaid hand mixer, it has lots of power but no real speed (it was the base model). This will be good for whipping cream because it has lots of speed.

That, and I loved the design, the chrome and the engraving that says "Super Mixette".

Old 06-21-2012, 06:57 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Maybe he wants to mix small batches. I use my little KA mixer, I'm not a baker. Bakechef also enjoys collecting vintage appliances for decoration.

Looks pretty cool!

Exactly why I bought it!

Old 06-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
Very nice! I have an old Dormeier, "Little Dormy," that has tailfins on it, kinda like Flash Gordon or Buck Roger's rocket ships from the old serials. It is, however, out of warranty, I'm pretty certain. Send in the card, or a photocopy, if you want to keep the original. It'll be worth the stamp to make someone at HB smile.
I found this Dormeyer at a thrift store for $3 without the bowl, I went to a thrift store down the street and found a matching bowl, what a stroke of luck! $5.50 for the mixer and bowl! It is very much like the one my great grandmother had, although this is a bit newer (hers had a cloth cord this has plastic). It works great and the mixer quickly detaches from the base to use as a VERY heavy hand mixer, it's all metal. If it had wings I'd be in heaven!

Old 06-21-2012, 07:14 PM   #10
Head Chef

Pretty! I have a small hand mixer too - Windmere, 200 watts. Great for beatiing eggs for french toast & making souffles. Have fun with it.

Tags
mixer