"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-24-2011, 03:53 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
If it's in the thousand dollar range, it's more than what I need.
Thanks for looking though!
No problem. I have fun doing that sort of thing. If he has gone out of buisness he will be lucky to get half that for it. No used dealer will offer him half. They need to mark it up themselves to make money. Normally, they will offer him half of what they think they can sell it for. Once an appliance is used it depreciates almost 40%. So, if it is in ecellent shape, they could probably get 600 for it. They would probably start the offer at 300. I have sold stuff before and was happy to just get rid of some of it. The longer it sits, the less you can get for it. I can be a pain in the butt, because I lowball big time. I have gotten some decent equipment that way. All they can do is tell you to get lost. I can do that. lol.
Good luck on your search.

Roch

Old 03-24-2011, 07:50 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I got a lovely Eva (Danish brand, but the company doesn't make meat slicers any more) hand crank meat slicer from my mother. She wasn't using it any more. She took it apart and lost one of the pieces DH says he could draw the piece. Have to find a machinist who would be willing to make the piece for us.

I feel more comfortable with a hand cranked meat slicer - not as scary. I also read that you can get thinner slices with the hand crank ones. We used to use it to slice Danish, heavy rye bread (rugbrød).

Old 03-29-2011, 12:37 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
I'd like to get a meat/food slicer. I've done a lot of Googling, but can't seem to find a recommended model like I did for my stand mixer, nor can I find out how the different sized blades compare (7"thru 12"), or a low end model commercial vs a high end home use... I'm a bit overwhelmed, especially since they range from a hundred bucks to thousands of dollars I just know the one my friend lent me weighed about 90 lbs (I kid you not) and I don't want to be borrowing it again. I have no idea where all that weight came from, because it seemed centered and not just in the motor, but that was a bit much for occassional use, free use or not.
Anyway, I'd like to start a search for one, new or used I don't care, but like I said, I don't know what features I should look for, what the difference in blade diameters mean, what to look for as a sign of wear in any used models I might check out...

Any advice?
Pecanis, I bought a meat cuber from Ebay The dealer I bought it from is great and had it to me in two days.While I was searching thru his listings I found several Meat slicers 9,10.And 12 inch . The price was right and they are all new. Just go to ebay and do a search for bovatech2008

The cuber works great and is easy to use. It is the red one that is $ 25.00 plus $12 shipping. Good look my friend.

Josie
Old 03-29-2011, 04:15 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

I keep getting O results for bovatech2008

I would be interested in seeing them though, if you could post the link. I'm close to pulling the trigger on one at Kohl's, but the price is a bit inflated. I need to decide by tomorrow, when my coupon expires.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:19 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Stay away from plastic framed ones! We bought a rival that is all metal frame, stainless blade, rest and guide. I believe it was under $100.00. It suits our needs.

Craig
Old 03-29-2011, 04:30 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
I keep getting O results for bovatech2008

I would be interested in seeing them though, if you could post the link. I'm close to pulling the trigger on one at Kohl's, but the price is a bit inflated. I need to decide by tomorrow, when my coupon expires.
Try this link, I think it is to his store.

bovatech2008 items - Get great deals on New 10 Commercial 240W Electric Meat Deli Food Slicer items on eBay Stores!

These are stainless steel.

Josie
Old 03-29-2011, 06:52 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks Josie!
I don't even need to click on that link, I've been seeing those Commercial 10" food slicers all over Ebay for around 242 or something like that. Very tempting, but extensive searches finally gave me some very negative reviews on them. And I just can't fine enough info on the company itself.

I've been eyeballing the Chef's Choice, but Kohl's has the 10" model (that you said you had I think) priced fifty bucks higher than everyone else on the internet. And when I looked at their 8.5" model, it was the same price as the 10"! And again, everyone else in the world has the smaller blade model priced lower than the 10" blade model, so really it should be close to a hundred bucks less than what Kohl's site is saying. And believe me, I've talked to them, lol.
The caveat is, I've got a 30% coupon plus $10 off from them. So really, I could get it at a pretty good deal, but the price is still inflated and I have to pay sales tax and that is why I haven't gone ahead and ordered one.
It makes no sense why they would be selling the 8.5" blade for the same as the 10...

And it doesn't help that my eyes have been looking at another toy altogether, lol. I'll need to do something by tomorrow though. I want to smoke some more corned beef for pastrami!
Old 03-29-2011, 07:03 PM   #18
Head Chef

Is the other toy a new smoker? I love home made Pastrami,If you bring the pastrami down I will slice it on half's

Josie
Old 03-29-2011, 10:31 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Yeah, I need to find some kind of reciprocative deal with someone who has a slicer that doesn't weigh a hundred pounds

And no, it's not smoker. The one smoker suits me just fine. I've got other hobbies besides cooking ya know
Old 03-29-2011, 11:49 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Yeah, I need to find some kind of reciprocative deal with someone who has a slicer that doesn't weigh a hundred pounds

And no, it's not smoker. The one smoker suits me just fine. I've got other hobbies besides cooking ya know
Your Pastrami Is safe with me, not on my cardio diet What kind of smoker are you using?

Josie

Tags
meat