"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-24-2011, 01:22 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Any advice on the purchase of a meat slicer?

I'd like to get a meat/food slicer. I've done a lot of Googling, but can't seem to find a recommended model like I did for my stand mixer, nor can I find out how the different sized blades compare (7"thru 12"), or a low end model commercial vs a high end home use... I'm a bit overwhelmed, especially since they range from a hundred bucks to thousands of dollars I just know the one my friend lent me weighed about 90 lbs (I kid you not) and I don't want to be borrowing it again. I have no idea where all that weight came from, because it seemed centered and not just in the motor, but that was a bit much for occassional use, free use or not.
Anyway, I'd like to start a search for one, new or used I don't care, but like I said, I don't know what features I should look for, what the difference in blade diameters mean, what to look for as a sign of wear in any used models I might check out...

Any advice?

Old 03-24-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
Head Chef

I have a 10 inch Argenta commercial meat slicer. I think it weighs 40 pounds.I love it and it does a great job. I paid $350.00 new for it from a restaurant supply store 4 years ago.
I did a bing search for Argenta Slicer and found it but it was $550.00. I bought this one because I wanted a commercial one and could not lift most of them (Hobart) This one I can move If I need to. I use it for a lot of other things beside slicing meat.

Josie

Old 03-24-2011, 02:34 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

40 lbs isn't bad. My friend thought his was so heavy because it was so old, not just because it was a commercial model. Of course, like he said, you don't want it moving around.
So what steered you to that model and diameter blade?
Old 03-24-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I would look for a used one. The commercial ones are built like tanks and will last many decades. One of the slicers at my place of work has got to be 50 years old and it still works better than the other two modern ones. But, yes, it is heavy. It stays stationary and never moves. Most of the commercial ones also come with a sharpening attatchment, so you rarely have to remove the blade if you don't want to. But, even that is easy enough when you want to give it a good cleaning/disinfecting.
Many restaurant supply stores sell used and refurbs. Anybody can purchase from these outlets, not just buisnesses. You should locate a few and go and see what they have in stock. They will probably only give you a 30 day warranty.
If you buy a new one, you will get a much better warranty and possibly something you really want. I'm sure you can access most of their stuff online. Not to be a downer, but with the economy the way it is, there may be loads of used gear out there. Get Googling!!
Old 03-24-2011, 03:00 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
40 lbs isn't bad. My friend thought his was so heavy because it was so old, not just because it was a commercial model. Of course, like he said, you don't want it moving around.
So what steered you to that model and diameter blade?
Pecanis, What steered me to this one was the fact I felt like I could handle moving it. 10 inch blade was a big plus also. I had a 30 day return policy if I didn't like it. It does not slide or move arround. And the price was awesome. I use it to shred cabbage for cole slaw instead of my Cusinart I can control the size of the shreds better.

Josie
Old 03-24-2011, 03:11 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Rock, the one restaurant supply we had in my area discontinued selling kitchen stuff. It was a real bummer. There is one place I just spoke with, but they mostly only handle new she said. And like my post said, I wouldn't know what to look for when purchasing used anyway, not without taking a roast with me, lol. I would hate to buy one off of Ebay sight unseen, but I'm sure there are good deals there.

Josie, the place I just spoke with has a 7" residential for close to 300, then they jump up to $540 for a commercial model, but even that only has a 9" blade. That seems too small, especially for a commercial model. And no way I wanted to get into that price range.

The search continues.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:17 PM   #7
Executive Chef

What about Craigslist? What city do you live in. Maybe I can help you search. pm me if you want.

Roch
Old 03-24-2011, 03:31 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
What about Craigslist? What city do you live in. Maybe I can help you search. pm me if you want.

Roch
Sure, if you've got nothing better to do
It's no big secret where I live, no stalkers yet that I know of... I'm by Erie. A forty mi radius wouldn't be bad, but at 11 mpg, I might be better off buying new online if I have to travel too far. I've never even visited Craig's list, so appreciate the help.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:42 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Only one available. He says it is a Globe. 1000 dollar model. They are well built. I don't know what kind of barterer you are, but sending off a lowball offer may reap rewards. If not, it is only worth an e-mail. It wouldn't hurt to find out exactly what model it is first. Maybe it is too big for what you need.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:48 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

If it's in the thousand dollar range, it's more than what I need.
Thanks for looking though!

Tags
meat