Any advice on the purchase of a meat slicer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
I'd like to get a meat/food slicer. I've done a lot of Googling, but can't seem to find a recommended model like I did for my stand mixer, nor can I find out how the different sized blades compare (7"thru 12"), or a low end model commercial vs a high end home use... I'm a bit overwhelmed, especially since they range from a hundred bucks to thousands of dollars :ohmy: I just know the one my friend lent me weighed about 90 lbs (I kid you not) and I don't want to be borrowing it again. I have no idea where all that weight came from, because it seemed centered and not just in the motor, but that was a bit much for occassional use, free use or not.
Anyway, I'd like to start a search for one, new or used I don't care, but like I said, I don't know what features I should look for, what the difference in blade diameters mean, what to look for as a sign of wear in any used models I might check out...

Any advice? :)

I have a 10 inch Argenta commercial meat slicer. I think it weighs 40 pounds.I love it and it does a great job. I paid $350.00 new for it from a restaurant supply store 4 years ago.
I did a bing search for Argenta Slicer and found it but it was $550.00. I bought this one because I wanted a commercial one and could not lift most of them (Hobart) This one I can move If I need to. I use it for a lot of other things beside slicing meat.

Josie

40 lbs isn't bad. My friend thought his was so heavy because it was so old, not just because it was a commercial model. Of course, like he said, you don't want it moving around.
So what steered you to that model and diameter blade?

I would look for a used one. The commercial ones are built like tanks and will last many decades. One of the slicers at my place of work has got to be 50 years old and it still works better than the other two modern ones. But, yes, it is heavy. It stays stationary and never moves. Most of the commercial ones also come with a sharpening attatchment, so you rarely have to remove the blade if you don't want to. But, even that is easy enough when you want to give it a good cleaning/disinfecting.
Many restaurant supply stores sell used and refurbs. Anybody can purchase from these outlets, not just buisnesses. You should locate a few and go and see what they have in stock. They will probably only give you a 30 day warranty.
If you buy a new one, you will get a much better warranty and possibly something you really want. I'm sure you can access most of their stuff online. Not to be a downer, but with the economy the way it is, there may be loads of used gear out there. Get Googling!!

Last edited:
40 lbs isn't bad. My friend thought his was so heavy because it was so old, not just because it was a commercial model. Of course, like he said, you don't want it moving around.
So what steered you to that model and diameter blade?

Pecanis, What steered me to this one was the fact I felt like I could handle moving it. 10 inch blade was a big plus also. I had a 30 day return policy if I didn't like it. It does not slide or move arround. And the price was awesome. I use it to shred cabbage for cole slaw instead of my Cusinart I can control the size of the shreds better.

Josie

Rock, the one restaurant supply we had in my area discontinued selling kitchen stuff. It was a real bummer. There is one place I just spoke with, but they mostly only handle new she said. And like my post said, I wouldn't know what to look for when purchasing used anyway, not without taking a roast with me, lol. I would hate to buy one off of Ebay sight unseen, but I'm sure there are good deals there.

Josie, the place I just spoke with has a 7" residential for close to 300, then they jump up to $540 for a commercial model, but even that only has a 9" blade. That seems too small, especially for a commercial model. And no way I wanted to get into that price range.

The search continues.

What about Craigslist? What city do you live in. Maybe I can help you search. pm me if you want.

Roch

Sure, if you've got nothing better to do :LOL:
It's no big secret where I live, no stalkers yet that I know of... :ermm: I'm by Erie. A forty mi radius wouldn't be bad, but at 11 mpg, I might be better off buying new online if I have to travel too far. I've never even visited Craig's list, so appreciate the help.

Only one available. He says it is a Globe. 1000 dollar model. They are well built. I don't know what kind of barterer you are, but sending off a lowball offer may reap rewards. If not, it is only worth an e-mail. It wouldn't hurt to find out exactly what model it is first. Maybe it is too big for what you need.

Last edited:
If it's in the thousand dollar range, it's more than what I need.
Thanks for looking though!

If it's in the thousand dollar range, it's more than what I need.
Thanks for looking though!
No problem. I have fun doing that sort of thing. If he has gone out of buisness he will be lucky to get half that for it. No used dealer will offer him half. They need to mark it up themselves to make money. Normally, they will offer him half of what they think they can sell it for. Once an appliance is used it depreciates almost 40%. So, if it is in ecellent shape, they could probably get 600 for it. They would probably start the offer at 300. I have sold stuff before and was happy to just get rid of some of it. The longer it sits, the less you can get for it. I can be a pain in the butt, because I lowball big time. I have gotten some decent equipment that way. All they can do is tell you to get lost. I can do that. lol.
Good luck on your search.

Roch

Last edited:
I got a lovely Eva (Danish brand, but the company doesn't make meat slicers any more) hand crank meat slicer from my mother. She wasn't using it any more. She took it apart and lost one of the pieces :( DH says he could draw the piece. Have to find a machinist who would be willing to make the piece for us.

I feel more comfortable with a hand cranked meat slicer - not as scary. I also read that you can get thinner slices with the hand crank ones. We used to use it to slice Danish, heavy rye bread (rugbrød).

I'd like to get a meat/food slicer. I've done a lot of Googling, but can't seem to find a recommended model like I did for my stand mixer, nor can I find out how the different sized blades compare (7"thru 12"), or a low end model commercial vs a high end home use... I'm a bit overwhelmed, especially since they range from a hundred bucks to thousands of dollars :ohmy: I just know the one my friend lent me weighed about 90 lbs (I kid you not) and I don't want to be borrowing it again. I have no idea where all that weight came from, because it seemed centered and not just in the motor, but that was a bit much for occassional use, free use or not.
Anyway, I'd like to start a search for one, new or used I don't care, but like I said, I don't know what features I should look for, what the difference in blade diameters mean, what to look for as a sign of wear in any used models I might check out...

Any advice? :)

Pecanis, I bought a meat cuber from Ebay The dealer I bought it from is great and had it to me in two days.While I was searching thru his listings I found several Meat slicers 9,10.And 12 inch . The price was right and they are all new. Just go to ebay and do a search for bovatech2008

The cuber works great and is easy to use. It is the red one that is $ 25.00 plus $12 shipping. Good look my friend.

Josie

I keep getting O results for bovatech2008

I would be interested in seeing them though, if you could post the link. I'm close to pulling the trigger on one at Kohl's, but the price is a bit inflated. I need to decide by tomorrow, when my coupon expires.

Stay away from plastic framed ones! We bought a rival that is all metal frame, stainless blade, rest and guide. I believe it was under $100.00. It suits our needs.

Craig

Thanks Josie!
I don't even need to click on that link, I've been seeing those Commercial 10" food slicers all over Ebay for around 242 or something like that. Very tempting, but extensive searches finally gave me some very negative reviews on them. And I just can't fine enough info on the company itself.

I've been eyeballing the Chef's Choice, but Kohl's has the 10" model (that you said you had I think) priced fifty bucks higher than everyone else on the internet. And when I looked at their 8.5" model, it was the same price as the 10"! And again, everyone else in the world has the smaller blade model priced lower than the 10" blade model, so really it should be close to a hundred bucks less than what Kohl's site is saying. And believe me, I've talked to them, lol.
The caveat is, I've got a 30% coupon plus $10 off from them. So really, I could get it at a pretty good deal, but the price is still inflated and I have to pay sales tax and that is why I haven't gone ahead and ordered one.
It makes no sense why they would be selling the 8.5" blade for the same as the 10...

And it doesn't help that my eyes have been looking at another toy altogether, lol. I'll need to do something by tomorrow though. I want to smoke some more corned beef for pastrami!

Yeah, I need to find some kind of reciprocative deal with someone who has a slicer that doesn't weigh a hundred pounds :LOL:

And no, it's not smoker. The one smoker suits me just fine. I've got other hobbies besides cooking ya know ;)

Yeah, I need to find some kind of reciprocative deal with someone who has a slicer that doesn't weigh a hundred pounds :LOL:

And no, it's not smoker. The one smoker suits me just fine. I've got other hobbies besides cooking ya know ;)

Your Pastrami Is safe with me, not on my cardio diet:shock: What kind of smoker are you using?

Josie

Back
Top Bottom