Any opinions on thermador Ranges

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kak

Assistant Cook
Hi, everybody, I'm in the process of builing a new home and I get to buy all new appliances, right now I'm looking at stoves. I've pretty much decided on a 36 stove either the thermador or wolf. I'm leaning towards the thermador. The sales person is trying to convince me at the dual fuel will be better than all gas. I do broil about 4 times a week and it has a "powerful" broiler that is gas. I'm just not sold on the eletric oven. Has anyone owned a thermador? How reliable are they? Would you buy one again? I want the "perfect" stove, and need some help.

THermador and DCS are smaller companies producing good equipment. WOlf is a corporpate biggie with 70+ years commercial experience and more recently a home division now linked with Sub Zero. THey produce good equipment. Viking is an advertizing biggie with often good equipment. The issues now come to service. Who has the network of trained service people, who has the replacement parts at the ready, where are they made??? All the plus issues point to Wolf. Viking has a shaky track record with service at present, and the others are new enough and small enough to not know. BTW, the perfect range only exists in your mind.

If I were given any one of these, I would take it gratefully. SPending my own $$$ I went with Wolf because of the proven track record and reliable service network. btw, Wolf makes all gas. You can get what you want in either format. Also for what it's worth, CIA in Hyde Park NY is equipped with DCS, so...get what you want to cook on.

Last edited:
I recently looked at all those brands stated above. What turned me off of the Thermador was the shape of the burners. They look like a BEAR to clean. I'm sure the shape won't have an effect on cooking, but trying to clean in between all those corners made look closer to other brands.

correction on the thermador...they've been around awhile and infact made the first "high tech" wall oven of the 50s! THeir adds in the New Yorker etc look like 'The Jetson's" cartoon.

THe star burner is designed like an old professional range burner...highly effective at reaching all points on a pot.

CLeaning any of these pro style ranges is time consuming because they are large, use heavy metal parts, etc.

Look into Dacor as well, and now Sears is making a high end Pro style. Kenmore has a good track record.

In my opinion, Thermador is the best looking, but, has the smallest left oven size in the 48". You have to use a really small cookie sheet and some casserole pans wouldn't fit. We took our pans that we use most often to the showroom to see which oven "fit" the way we cooked. We were very surprised the actual differences! I think I've decided on the Wolf dual fuel. We have heard Viking has service issues...

Hi KAK,

When I built my home 15+ yrs. ago I had Thermador. Wouldn't get them again. Perhaps they are better now. My CKD talked me into getting Thermador - duel fuel range, dishwasher, compactor, range hood. The range hood is the only Thermador in my kitchen at present. That I like. The rest, you can keep.

SV

Thermador

I had a Viking years ago, had numerous problems. Got a Thermador and LOVED IT!! In this house, I have a GE and hate it. Moving soon and going back to a Thermador. One thing I know, stay away from the sealed burners, I hear they are a bear to clean when they do get dirty and friends that have the dual fuel have had problems.

I've looked at Wolf but they have discontinued residential ranges. Dacor is suppose to be good and I've heard some people like DSC. Good luck on your purchase.

I'm glad to hear Nofifi loved the Thermador. Hopefully, they have improved in the last 15 yrs. It just gets me mad when we pay for higher end appliances and then are disappointed in them. When one reads a booklet or brochure put out by a company, the impression is always given that this is the best. Of course, that is the aim of advertising. It is so hard to decide sometimes and the appliance salesman/woman can't always be trusted for an accurate opinion. A forum like this is invaluable in making a decision because the opinions come from knowledgeable people.

Wow, what a great idea to bring your pans to measure an oven...never gave that a thought...thanks for that idea!

Kak, another site to check out (this same discussion went on at this site too) called "cheftalk" and go to equipment forum and you will find this discussion maybe helpful.

I just had product demos up the yingyang and I'd pick Dacor on functionality and looks plus I love the 15" grates!

The pros of the 48" Dacor are 15" grates, 6 burners, a griddle is included that sits on top - a plus for me then I'm not changing out burners - the dials and the digital --flip front panel like the Wolf - concealed elements both the broiler unit and the heating element ease of cleaning more even heating comes with a wok ring stays to within 10 degrees of temp, 2 18,000 btu burners and 2 9,500 (I think) burners, the simmer DOES NOT cycle on and off---I love the asthetics of it and the combinations of st steel copper brass black stainless. I could go on and on but performance and looks I love it.

Back
Top Bottom