"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 01-12-2009, 01:28 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Anyone have any opinions on why my ice cream maker does not make ice cream?

Could I be using it wrongly?

According to the instructions, I put the bowl part of it in the freezer for 10 hours(well in the garden overnight actually, but it gets to at least -10 Celcius these nights). Then I put the ingredients in the bowl part and then attach the other parts. I switch it on for 40 minutes as per instruction manual. After 40 minutes the ingredients are well stirred by the the paddle thing, but not turned to icecream.

Any suggestions?

Old 01-12-2009, 01:45 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

The consistency should be thick but not fully frozen. After the churning, you should plan on putting it in the freezer for several hours to finish thickening.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:47 PM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel! View Post

According to the instructions, I put the bowel part of it in the freezer for 10 hours(well in the garden overnight actually, but it gets to at least -10 Celcius these nights). Then I put the ingredients in the bowel part and then attach the other parts. I switch it on for 40 minutes as per instruction manual. After 40 minutes the ingredients are well stirred by the the paddle thing, but not turned to icecream.

Any suggestions?
There are many misconceptions about ice cream making. I don't know what -10 Celcius is in Farenheit, but your bowl should be at least 0 degrees F. for no less thatn 24 hours. It needs to freeze solid.

Second, I'm not sure what you mean by "not ice cream, but I suspect you mean it isn't hard like the kind you buy in the supermarket. Am I right? That's the question first-time ice cream makers always ask.
You did make ice cream. The ice cream is soft because it hasn't been "cured" yet. You have to put the ice cream in a container and freeze it in your freezer for at least 4 hours in order to get hard ice cream.
Look at it this way, if the ice cream got hard in the bowl while mixing how will the paddle (dasher) be able to move? Put the ice cream in the freezer.

You can also eat it as soft serve right out of the bowl after you make it but I prefer hard ice cream.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:52 PM   #4
Sous Chef

-10 deg C = 14 deg F. I put my bowl in my freezer at 0 deg F, and it does the job, but it takes about 30 minutes. Even then, it's soft, and won't harden until it goes in the freezer...
Old 01-12-2009, 01:58 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsanX View Post
-10 deg C = 14 deg F. I put my bowl in my freezer at 0 deg F, and it does the job, but it takes about 30 minutes. Even then, it's soft, and won't harden until it goes in the freezer...
I make a lot of ice cream, always make my own, and I use both a Cuisinart and a KitchenAid attachment, sometimes at the same time to make 2 different flavors. I have never heard of freezing the bowl for 30 minutes so I'm curious. . I really don't think that's enough time to freeze solid. Both of my manuals state at least 24 hours. Does your manual say 30 minutes. What kind do you have?
Old 01-12-2009, 02:24 PM   #6
Sous Chef

I store my bowl in the freezer, so it's usually in there for several days. It takes about 30 minutes to make the ice cream, but even then it's not frozen solid...
Old 01-13-2009, 09:07 AM   #7
Master Chef

I don't even know the name of my ice cream maker, LOL. From tips I got on here, I put the 'bowl' (It is actually a metal cylinder) in the freezer (which is set to 0 degrees all the time) the night before I make the ice cream. The next day I make the mixture up, but since it is cooked I have to let it sit in the fridge overnight. The next day I pour the mixture into the cylinder and attache the electric motor on the top. I then take 6 large McDonald's drink cups filled with ice and add 2 at a time to the mixer alternating with salt.
From there, like RobsanX, it takes about 30 minutes and it is ready for the freezer. For me though it seems to take closer to six hours to get as hard as the store stuff, but ready after 4 hours mostly hard. Any less than that and I have soft serve, LOL.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:20 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

These types of ice cream makers make what is called a soft set ice cream, if you prefer them more hard you have to put them in another container and freeze to what you want...I also have found do NOT bring the bowl out and start adding the ingredients to it..Get them all put into another bowl, mix well and only then put them into the frozen bowl, turn on machine and let it go..See if that helps the initial consistency.
Kadesma
Old 01-13-2009, 12:39 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
These types of ice cream makers make what is called a soft set ice cream, if you prefer them more hard you have to put them in another container and freeze to what you want...I also have found do NOT bring the bowl out and start adding the ingredients to it..Get them all put into another bowl, mix well and only then put them into the frozen bowl, turn on machine and let it go..See if that helps the initial consistency.
Kadesma
Right you are. The ingredients should be very cold before pouring into the bowl to churn. I put all the ingredients in a separate bowl that has been in the freezer overnight. Then pour it all into the mixer bowl. Perfect ice cream every time.
Just a heads up here: If you want to make some great ice cream flavors, I recommend Ben and Jerry's Dessert and Ice Cream book.
Cherry Garcia is one of the best, but my favorite is their Chocolate Heath Bar Toffee Cruch.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:11 PM   #10
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel! View Post

According to the instructions, I put the bowl part of it in the freezer for 10 hours(well in the garden overnight actually, but it gets to at least -10 Celcius these nights). Then I put the ingredients in the bowl part and then attach the other parts. I switch it on for 40 minutes as per instruction manual. After 40 minutes the ingredients are well stirred by the the paddle thing, but not turned to icecream.

Any suggestions?
The bowl of my Cuisinart requires 24 hours at 0 degrees F. so your bowl wasn't nearly cold enough by those standards. My bowl lives in the freezer, so it can be ready at a moment's notice.

The only time I ever had any problems with it was after 10 years, and the freezant in the bowl had dissipated, or something. It was time for a new one.

and yes, after you have made the ice cream, it is more the texture of soft serve. The directions say to let the ice cream season in the deep freeze for a minimum of four hours. Not only does the ice cream set up, but the flavors all meld and it tastes much better.

It is also better to remove the ice cream from the freezer about 20 minutes before you want to serve it, so it can come to maximum flavor.