"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 06-15-2014, 02:20 PM   #11
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
I've had this pasta machine for nearly 30 years and have a number of different cutting heads. I love it but, a few years ago, arthritis made it difficult for me to crank it so I bought the electric motor and retrofitted it. Problem solved and I still have my trusty old pasta maker doin' it's job just fine.
I didn't know you could (and I'm pretty sure I couldn't) retrofit a motor. A bit of arthritis shows it's ugly head in my hands sometimes too, but more noticeable in my knees. I do know I refuse to feel guilty about buying electric, or feel like I'm any less of a home cook. I hadn't even thought about the arthritis. My crank machine had to have been pretty cheap though (not that it matters), but I'll have to dig it up to see what brand it is and research that motor idea. 🌹

Old 06-15-2014, 02:56 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetMlr View Post
...I do know I refuse to feel guilty about buying electric, or feel like I'm any less of a home cook...
There is no reason why you shouldn't take advantage of easier-to-use tools. It has nothing to do with your cooking ability. If you have a blender or food processor or dishwasher or electric refrigerator or electric mixer or a gas or electric stove, they're in the same category.

I don't often hand make pasta. When I do, I make fettuccine as ribbon pastas are simpler. I mix/knead the dough by hand or in a KA mixer. Then I roll it out using a rolling pin. If I made most or all of our pastas, I'd buy an electric pasta machine right away.

Check out this one that kneads the dough then extrudes the pasta: Amazon.com: Viante CUC-27PM Automatic Pasta Maker with 10 Interchangeable Discs: Home & Kitchen

Old 06-15-2014, 03:21 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetMlr View Post
I didn't know you could (and I'm pretty sure I couldn't) retrofit a motor. A bit of arthritis shows it's ugly head in my hands sometimes too, but more noticeable in my knees. I do know I refuse to feel guilty about buying electric, or feel like I'm any less of a home cook. I hadn't even thought about the arthritis. My crank machine had to have been pretty cheap though (not that it matters), but I'll have to dig it up to see what brand it is and research that motor idea. 🌹
You don't have to do much really. My manufacturer has motors that are specifically designed to fit their various manual pasta machines. I simply purchased the appropriate one for my model machine, screwed it on and I was done. There was nothing complex or complicated about it.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:29 PM   #14
Executive Chef

We have a variable speed pasta machine. The speed varies in the motors ability to crank. I'm the motor.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:39 PM   #15
Sous Chef

I also have a Marcato Atlas 150, and have the ravioli attachment for it. Thrift store find, $15 for the sheeter, spaghetti/linguine cutter and ravioli. It's old enough that a motor cannot be fitted to it. I also have the KA 3-pack of pasta attachments. Another thrifty find at $5. I think I may even have the pasta extruder that works with the KA meat grinder, for macaroni. I use the KA 3-pack, mostly, and the Atlas for ravioli.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:47 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
There is no reason why you shouldn't take advantage of easier-to-use tools. It has nothing to do with your cooking ability. If you have a blender or food processor or dishwasher or electric refrigerator or electric mixer or a gas or electric stove, they're in the same category.

I don't often hand make pasta. When I do, I make fettuccine as ribbon pastas are simpler. I mix/knead the dough by hand or in a KA mixer. Then I roll it out using a rolling pin. If I made most or all of our pastas, I'd buy an electric pasta machine right away.

Check out this one that kneads the dough then extrudes the pasta: Amazon.com: Viante CUC-27PM Automatic Pasta Maker with 10 Interchangeable Discs: Home & Kitchen
That is downright cheap compared to what they were a few years ago. Remember Ron Popiel's machine?
Old 06-15-2014, 08:32 PM   #17
Cook

Pasta Maker Update

I was talking to my roommate about what I had posted here today, and she says: "I have the Kitchen Aid mixer and use it maybe once a year. Feel free to use it" I wouldn't have asked her, but since she offered I'll probably just look into getting the attachments. I hate to say it, but I'm still going to keep that electric one on my wish list. I may eventually get it anyway.

Going from your own home to sharing one and having a roommate is a huge adjustment. Marilyn and I have been close for years (she's actually my ex's cousin) and talked about me doing this after I retired. I have an adorable space in her home with a bedroom and sitting room with a sliding glass door out to the back yard, and a large full bath. Other than being married for 20+ years, I've never had or been a roommate. That's the reason why I feel funny asking to use things sometimes... I get a little paranoid about being a good roommate. I think maybe too many horror stories with my daughter's renting experiences.

As usual... rattling on too much. Get used to it... I can't seem to help myself. 🌹
Old 06-15-2014, 08:41 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

I think there are a lot cheaper alternatives to KA. They seem to have a separate attachment for each pasta shape as well as a separate attachment just to roll out the dough.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:10 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Andy when you buy the original package you get three means of rolling. The first one is rolling out the sheets with the adjustable width. The second one is for fettuccine, the last one is for a Angel Hair cut. The very same cuts of the machine she was looking at. All other attachments are bought separate after that. Including elbow macaroni. Something the machine she has been looking at does not offer.

Tags
pasta