"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-15-2014, 08:52 AM   #1
Cook
 
JanetMlr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Wilton
Posts: 79
Anyone have this pasta maker? Or recommendations?

A few reasons why I'm looking for a new pasta maker: The main reason being I'd like to try electric. The other... I sold my home and live with a cousin sharing her kitchen. She is so fussy, I'm almost afraid to even cook in her kitchen. I partly understand. She has an old house that was her parent's home that needs a lot of work that she can't afford right now. The one thing she's done is to remodel her kitchen... so she's maybe a little over protective about it. I know she doesn't mean or try to make me feel uncomfortable.

OK, so maybe that's a bit TMI, but it explains why I don't want to use a pasta maker that clamps to her granite counter.

Below is the electric pasta maker I'm considering... based on price, ratings and features. Would love some feedback from anyone who has this one, or recommendations. 🌹

Roma Express Electric Pasta Machine

__________________

__________________
JanetMlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:44 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetMlr View Post
A few reasons why I'm looking for a new pasta maker: The main reason being I'd like to try electric. The other... I sold my home and live with a cousin sharing her kitchen. She is so fussy, I'm almost afraid to even cook in her kitchen. I partly understand. She has an old house that was her parent's home that needs a lot of work that she can't afford right now. The one thing she's done is to remodel her kitchen... so she's maybe a little over protective about it. I know she doesn't mean or try to make me feel uncomfortable.

OK, so maybe that's a bit TMI, but it explains why I don't want to use a pasta maker that clamps to her granite counter.

Below is the electric pasta maker I'm considering... based on price, ratings and features. Would love some feedback from anyone who has this one, or recommendations. ��

Roma Express Electric Pasta Machine
It bothers me that there is only a 30 day warranty on that product.

Does she have a Kitchen Aid Stand mixer? You can do a lot better buying the attachment for that and it is less expensive with room to expand on it. Your choice has only two types of pasta cuts. The KA has multiple blades for different cuts of pasta.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:09 AM   #3
Head Chef
 
Josie1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sunny Central Florida
Posts: 2,003
Janet
I have this pasta machine
and it is great. If you get your pasta
mixture dry enough you don't have to
use flour to roll it.
The only negataive, it makes lasagna.
and noodles and spaghetti no macroni.
It is one of those things I would buy
again if something happened to it.
I have had it for a year.

Josie
__________________
Practice Random Acts of Kindness ( RAK ) Makes you feel great too
Josie1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:12 AM   #4
Cook
 
JanetMlr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Wilton
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
It bothers me that there is only a 30 day warranty on that product.

Does she have a Kitchen Aid Stand mixer? You can do a lot better buying the attachment for that and it is less expensive with room to expand on it. Your choice has only two types of pasta cuts. The KA has multiple blades for different cuts of pasta.
I was considering paying for the extended warranty. I don't know if she has the Kitchen Aid mixer. She does tend to buy the bigger, expensive items. I guess there was a 3rd reason I was considering that pasta machine... something I can take with me IF I decide to get my own place. But I'll definitely see if she has that mixer. Thanks for the input!
__________________
JanetMlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:35 AM   #5
Cook
 
JanetMlr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Wilton
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie1945 View Post
Janet
I have this pasta machine and it is great. If you get your pasta mixture dry enough you don't have to use flour to roll it.

The only negataive, it makes lasagna, and noodles and spaghetti no macron.

It is one of those things I would buy again if something happened to it. I have had it for a year.

Josie
Thank you Josie! Glad to hear you've had it for a year. This just might be the one for me.
__________________
JanetMlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:39 AM   #6
Cook
 
JanetMlr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Wilton
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
It bothers me that there is only a 30 day warranty on that product.
Me again! Maybe I'm missing something, but I looked again, and it seems the manufacturer's warranty is a year. I still might consider the extended though.

Manufacturer Warranty
Labor - 1 year limited
Parts - 1 year limited
__________________
JanetMlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:59 AM   #7
Senior Cook
 
callmaker60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Camp Hill, Pa.
Posts: 230
No I don't have that one, just a hand operated model which cost me $35, and i'll bet it works just as good as the one your looking at. I don't see why any home cook, would need an electric pasta maker, and at that price, the hand models are easy to operate, you can control them easily.
__________________
callmaker60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:05 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,156
I've had this pasta machine for nearly 30 years and have a number of different cutting heads. I love it but, a few years ago, arthritis made it difficult for me to crank it so I bought the electric motor and retrofitted it. Problem solved and I still have my trusty old pasta maker doin' it's job just fine.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:10 PM   #9
Cook
 
JanetMlr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Wilton
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmaker60 View Post
No I don't have that one, just a hand operated model which cost me $35, and i'll bet it works just as good as the one your looking at. I don't see why any home cook, would need an electric pasta maker, and at that price, the hand models are easy to operate, you can control them easily.
I guess you didn't read what my reason was. I have a hand cranked pasta maker. I recently sold my home and it's buried in boxes in the attic somewhere. But that's not the point. The point was that the person whose kitchen I share is almost obsessive to the point of being OCD about her kitchen. She doesn't say much, but I know she is obsessive about that kitchen. As I said, I don't think she'd be particularly thrilled with me clamping something to her granite counter (even with protection).

I also don't see why being a "home cook" has anything to do with whether a pasta maker is electric or hand cranked. I don't think a real cook should use any prepared foods, but I don't see how a small electric pasta machine makes anyone less of a home cook. Yes, it's more expensive, but some things, even though you may not agree, can be justified.🌹
__________________
JanetMlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:17 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmaker60 View Post
No I don't have that one, just a hand operated model which cost me $35, and i'll bet it works just as good as the one your looking at. I don't see why any home cook, would need an electric pasta maker, and at that price, the hand models are easy to operate, you can control them easily.
One good reason for an electric pasta maker would be someone like myself who has severe arthritis in my hands. Grabbing small items such as the handle on a manual pasta maker is beyond my capabilities. So I have the attachment for my electric KA mixer. I can no longer close my fingers enough to make a fist. That is why you will see hospital handles in all elderly apartments. We can not always grab doorknobs with sufficient force to open a door in an emergency. But we can push the door handle down.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pasta

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.