"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 06-15-2014, 08:52 AM   #1
Cook

Anyone have this pasta maker? Or recommendations?

A few reasons why I'm looking for a new pasta maker: The main reason being I'd like to try electric. The other... I sold my home and live with a cousin sharing her kitchen. She is so fussy, I'm almost afraid to even cook in her kitchen. I partly understand. She has an old house that was her parent's home that needs a lot of work that she can't afford right now. The one thing she's done is to remodel her kitchen... so she's maybe a little over protective about it. I know she doesn't mean or try to make me feel uncomfortable.

OK, so maybe that's a bit TMI, but it explains why I don't want to use a pasta maker that clamps to her granite counter.

Below is the electric pasta maker I'm considering... based on price, ratings and features. Would love some feedback from anyone who has this one, or recommendations. 🌹

Roma Express Electric Pasta Machine

Old 06-15-2014, 09:44 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetMlr View Post
A few reasons why I'm looking for a new pasta maker: The main reason being I'd like to try electric. The other... I sold my home and live with a cousin sharing her kitchen. She is so fussy, I'm almost afraid to even cook in her kitchen. I partly understand. She has an old house that was her parent's home that needs a lot of work that she can't afford right now. The one thing she's done is to remodel her kitchen... so she's maybe a little over protective about it. I know she doesn't mean or try to make me feel uncomfortable.

OK, so maybe that's a bit TMI, but it explains why I don't want to use a pasta maker that clamps to her granite counter.

Below is the electric pasta maker I'm considering... based on price, ratings and features. Would love some feedback from anyone who has this one, or recommendations. ��

Roma Express Electric Pasta Machine
It bothers me that there is only a 30 day warranty on that product.

Does she have a Kitchen Aid Stand mixer? You can do a lot better buying the attachment for that and it is less expensive with room to expand on it. Your choice has only two types of pasta cuts. The KA has multiple blades for different cuts of pasta.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:09 AM   #3
Head Chef

Janet
I have this pasta machine
and it is great. If you get your pasta
mixture dry enough you don't have to
use flour to roll it.
The only negataive, it makes lasagna.
and noodles and spaghetti no macroni.
It is one of those things I would buy
again if something happened to it.
I have had it for a year.

Josie
Old 06-15-2014, 11:12 AM   #4
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

Does she have a Kitchen Aid Stand mixer? You can do a lot better buying the attachment for that and it is less expensive with room to expand on it. Your choice has only two types of pasta cuts. The KA has multiple blades for different cuts of pasta.
I was considering paying for the extended warranty. I don't know if she has the Kitchen Aid mixer. She does tend to buy the bigger, expensive items. I guess there was a 3rd reason I was considering that pasta machine... something I can take with me IF I decide to get my own place. But I'll definitely see if she has that mixer. Thanks for the input!
Old 06-15-2014, 11:35 AM   #5
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie1945 View Post
Janet
I have this pasta machine and it is great. If you get your pasta mixture dry enough you don't have to use flour to roll it.

The only negataive, it makes lasagna, and noodles and spaghetti no macron.

It is one of those things I would buy again if something happened to it. I have had it for a year.

Josie
Thank you Josie! Glad to hear you've had it for a year. This just might be the one for me.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:39 AM   #6
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Me again! Maybe I'm missing something, but I looked again, and it seems the manufacturer's warranty is a year. I still might consider the extended though.

Manufacturer Warranty
Labor - 1 year limited
Parts - 1 year limited
Old 06-15-2014, 11:59 AM   #7
Senior Cook

No I don't have that one, just a hand operated model which cost me $35, and i'll bet it works just as good as the one your looking at. I don't see why any home cook, would need an electric pasta maker, and at that price, the hand models are easy to operate, you can control them easily.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:05 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I've had this pasta machine for nearly 30 years and have a number of different cutting heads. I love it but, a few years ago, arthritis made it difficult for me to crank it so I bought the electric motor and retrofitted it. Problem solved and I still have my trusty old pasta maker doin' it's job just fine.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:10 PM   #9
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmaker60 View Post
No I don't have that one, just a hand operated model which cost me $35, and i'll bet it works just as good as the one your looking at. I don't see why any home cook, would need an electric pasta maker, and at that price, the hand models are easy to operate, you can control them easily.
I guess you didn't read what my reason was. I have a hand cranked pasta maker. I recently sold my home and it's buried in boxes in the attic somewhere. But that's not the point. The point was that the person whose kitchen I share is almost obsessive to the point of being OCD about her kitchen. She doesn't say much, but I know she is obsessive about that kitchen. As I said, I don't think she'd be particularly thrilled with me clamping something to her granite counter (even with protection).

I also don't see why being a "home cook" has anything to do with whether a pasta maker is electric or hand cranked. I don't think a real cook should use any prepared foods, but I don't see how a small electric pasta machine makes anyone less of a home cook. Yes, it's more expensive, but some things, even though you may not agree, can be justified.🌹
Old 06-15-2014, 02:17 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmaker60 View Post
One good reason for an electric pasta maker would be someone like myself who has severe arthritis in my hands. Grabbing small items such as the handle on a manual pasta maker is beyond my capabilities. So I have the attachment for my electric KA mixer. I can no longer close my fingers enough to make a fist. That is why you will see hospital handles in all elderly apartments. We can not always grab doorknobs with sufficient force to open a door in an emergency. But we can push the door handle down.

Tags
pasta