Appliance colors question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wtdedula

Assistant Cook
Hello All;
It seems like Stainless Steel Appliances are all the rage these days. It seems like Most stores have SS appliances like refrigerators and ranges in their showrooms more than any other color. Why is that - are they really the color most everyone perfers these days ?

I am seriously considering a Wolf Range which only comes in Stainless Steel.

I am also going to buy a refrigerator. I was originally considering Black Appliances but does it make sense to mix Black and Stainless Steel or would that look odd ? Thanks for your thoughts.

Tim

Hello All;
It seems like Stainless Steel Appliances are all the rage these days. It seems like Most stores have SS appliances like refrigerators and ranges in their showrooms more than any other color. Why is that - are they really the color most everyone perfers these days ?

I am seriously considering a Wolf Range which only comes in Stainless Steel.

I am also going to buy a refrigerator. I was originally considering Black Appliances but does it make sense to mix Black and Stainless Steel or would that look odd ? Thanks for your thoughts.

Tim
We re-did our kitchen Wolfe srove (gas) refrigerator,dishwasher, black rest ss,counters in granite that is black,and green,sounds uko but if beautiful...
kadesma

There is a whole group of folks, making large salaries, deciding what the next 'big' color will be. In the 50's we had turquoise and pink appliances. In the 70's it was harvest gold and avocado green. In the 80's they reverted to neutral colors with almond. In the 90's black was hot. In the new century, stainless seemed to dominate.

We're about due for a new mandate from those color decider folks.

(For those who noticed that I missed the 60's, see my sig.)

Appliance colors are fads or changes in style. Black and stainless mix well in my opinion.

I think it's because of companies like SubZero/Wolfe and Viking marketing commercial inspired appliances to the high end home market. They've created the impression that stainless appliances are "professional"....and I think we owe them a big Thank You for it.

Now that they've figured out how to keep the fingerprints down, the same benefits that made stainless perfect for commercial use can be shared in our kitchens. I for one am grateful to be finished with harvest gold!

I think stainless steel appliances make a kitchen look like a restaurant kitchen. I prefer white appliances for a cozier look. :chef:

Personally, I want bright primary colors for my appliances...when and if I ever get to choose. I'm partial to the yellow, red and blue decor that is out now. If I can't get something in those colors I choose stainless for my small appliances.

most professional pieces of equipment are black porcelain or stainless steel. The former didn't show the scorch marks of an oven running at 500* for 18 hrs a day. The latter was easier to clean and sanitize.

Viking makes many colors, as does Blue Star. Wolf for the home grew out of Wolf professional for the restaurant which has always only offered stainless since the 60s. Black before that.

You can mix and match whatever you like in your house. Some designer or Realtor will tell you what's current when you sell if ever down the road. (I cook so my kitchen has stuff in it...that's a no no when it comes time to sell.)

I had black appliances in my last house and HATED them. They were impossible to keep clean and looked horrible unless they'd just been spit-shined.

most professional pieces of equipment are black porcelain or stainless steel. The former didn't show the scorch marks of an oven running at 500* for 18 hrs a day. The latter was easier to clean and sanitize.

Viking makes many colors, as does Blue Star. Wolf for the home grew out of Wolf professional for the restaurant which has always only offered stainless since the 60s. Black before that.

You can mix and match whatever you like in your house. Some designer or Realtor will tell you what's current when you sell if ever down the road. (I cook so my kitchen has stuff in it...that's a no no when it comes time to sell.)

Thanks again Robo410 for your helpful comments. Here's what I decided to do. I ordered the refrigerator last wekend in Stainless Steel. The only other option was black but I thought I'd match the color of the Wolf Range. My plan is to buy the Wolf Dual Fuel Range in 2-3 months after I install the new hood and electrical/gas service. I am getting an estimate this Wed. for a hood installation, and should call this week to arrange an estimate for electrical/gas service installation and upgrade.

I guess my choice of colors doesn't matter a whole lot because everyone says that a different color will be popular next decade, and the decade after that.

Tim

Tim

Back
Top Bottom