Arcosteel Hand Operated Pasta Machine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
I found this on ebay...I guess it's a cheapy, but it's chrome-plated stainless steel and brand new. They said the packaging was damaged, but the machine was in perfect condition, and has a 30 day guarantee. I bid $7.50 on it...shipping is almost $13.
I thought if I got into it, I could get a better one later. What do y'all think...is it a bargain or a burn?

Constance said:
Guess it doesn't matter...lost the bid.
That might be a blessing in disguise. It looked like a basic hand cranked roller with a dual cutter attachment - but I never could find a site that said what the two cutter sizes were ... and that "wash in warm soapy water when done" thing really bugged me. That's something that you just don't do with one of these things - unless you want to wash the oil off the bearings and rust the insides.

For a starter - I would go with either an VillaWare/Imperia 150 or an Atlas 150. They are both made in Italy and cost about the same - around $35-$40. If you see that you are going to use it enough to want to add an electric motor .. they both have one for about $65. Or - you can buy one with a motor to start with for about $90. Cutter attachments can be found for about $15 for a single cutter (cuts only one size) or a double-cutter (cuts two sizes) for about $25.

Here is the website for a place I "think" is in Canada that has some good info and available attachments: http://www.pastamakers.us

Of course, you probably want to Google to see who has the best prices.

NOTE: I have heard "war stories" from people who had an Imperia or an Atlas and they had problems and scrapped them and got the other brand and never had another problem. My daughter has an Atlas and both of my sons have the Imperia ... they all had problems at first but after they learned how to use them they have not had any more problems. I personally didn't find any difference between the machines.

Thanks for the info, Michael. I may end up wanting the electric motor, as I don't have much strength in my shoulders anymore. I do have two grandsons that can help me crank, though...and then help eat the finished product!

By the way, I lived in Ft. Worth for several years, and not only loved the area, but also met some of the nicest, friendliest people there!

If you're having problems with strength in your shoulders then the electric motor is definately a nice addition. As you'll notice from looking at the prices - it's cheaper to buy a motorized one to begin with than to add on the motor later.

I've got a KitchenAid mixer and so I got the KA pasta roller/cutter set. I got it before I got my kids their pasta roller/cutters (Atlas and Imperia) for Christmas the following year. Honestly, I would rather have one of them than the KA set! They are just as good, cheaper, and you have more cutter options.

I also got the KA pasta extruder attachment - it's a TOTAL waste of money. I've got a book that compares home pasta extruders - they are all a waste of money IMHO.

Glad you enjoyed your time here. I like the place, except for the air pollution which drives my asthma crazy. And most of us born and raised here will still say "howdy" when we pass a stranger on the street.

Michael in FtW said:
I've got a KitchenAid mixer and so I got the KA pasta roller/cutter set. I got it before I got my kids their pasta roller/cutters (Atlas and Imperia) for Christmas the following year. Honestly, I would rather have one of them than the KA set! They are just as good, cheaper, and you have more cutter options.

I also got the KA pasta extruder attachment - it's a TOTAL waste of money. I've got a book that compares home pasta extruders - they are all a waste of money IMHO.

I was just going to ask about that - I got my kitchenaid last year and have really wanted the pasta attachment, as I've never made pasta before.

So, Michael, if cost weren't an issue (but still a thought) how would you steer me? Imperia or Atlas or another?
(and yes, I'll be getting a motor too)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom