"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 08-22-2011, 09:18 AM   #31
Head Chef

If you were going to cook an old cat, the crockpot would be the way to go.

Just sayin'.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:24 AM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
At this moment I'm eating my pot roast, along with oven roasted carrots, Yukon fingerling potatoes, and covered with red wine gravy from the braising liquid.
If the roast is in your slow cooker, why do you oven roast your carrots? In the summer, too? I think carrots braised with a roast are better than the meat!

Old 08-22-2011, 12:18 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
If you were going to cook an old cat, the crockpot would be the way to go.

Just sayin'.

Dog recipe:

1 mean ole dog

1 crock pot

signed, The Cat
Old 08-22-2011, 01:35 PM   #34
Master Chef

Hold on to your seats! I don't like my crock pot......I just don't like the "odd" flavor that I never have from cooking long and slow in my trusty dutch oven. I really enjoy checking on my food by the age old method of stirring and smelling and tasting and adding as everything is cooking. It's my therapy and it makes me happy, so that's what I do. For those who either don't enjoy that kind of cooking, or don't have the time for it, I'm sure crock pots are a prized appliance. They're just not for me.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #35
Master Chef

PS
Here's my prized enamel covered cast iron Dutch oven. No, it's NOT a le cuistot, I don't own a Gucci handbag either.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:21 PM   #36
Master Chef

Since I am at work the whole day not much checking I can do during that time. Not to say that I use my slow cooker all the time, but I do have 2 of them. One smaller, one larger, for a crowd of 10-15 people. I like it. I especially like turkey soup made in it.
Also I make baked milk, could not have done it without. A favorite of mine from the time I was a kid.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:46 PM   #37
Senior Cook

Quote:
I make baked milk,
Perhaps you could explain that one......
Old 08-22-2011, 03:52 PM   #38
Master Chef

It is literally baked milk. My mother uses her oven to do it. It is not boiled. I keep it on low for the whole day. Like for example today I turned it on, set on low and left around 6 in the morning, I think it will be perfect by 6 at night. Milk becomes somewhat brownish, Kind of with a red hue. I cannot describe the taste. But I love it, so do two of my kids the other two and their mother do not like it. The oldest one refuses to taste, he is afraid I think.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:16 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD
It is literally baked milk. My mother uses her oven to do it. It is not boiled. I keep it on low for the whole day. Like for example today I turned it on, set on low and left around 6 in the morning, I think it will be perfect by 6 at night. Milk becomes somewhat brownish, Kind of with a red hue. I cannot describe the taste. But I love it, so do two of my kids the other two and their mother do not like it. The oldest one refuses to taste, he is afraid I think.
Is it kind of like custard? Have never heard of it. Do you add sugar? Is it a drink, or thicker, like pudding?
Old 08-23-2011, 09:40 AM   #40
Master Chef

It is like the regular milk, but has different taste and color. Unfortunatelly American dairy products are not as great as one may think. There are so many products that are available in other countries, but not in the states. Like right now the big craze is Greek yogurt, all of a sudden everybody is talking about it. Nothing special. Not because it is not special, because it was always available in Greek stores. If you have a Russian store nearby, stop to see what they have. You might find interesting chocolate butter, or sweet chocolate farmerís cheese.
But I am way off topic now.

Tags
electric