"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 01-08-2015, 06:39 PM   #31
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Ooo....I love that GF clock!
Thank you, I got it to match my addiction to 1940's juke boxes, bought this one at an estate auction , it was in a famous local place that my grandfather used to frequent so I had to have it, I have one in better shape that was only $12,000 but I paid much more for this one because of who it belonged to...

Old 01-08-2015, 08:54 PM   #32
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Immodesty, sorry, I'm just sayin'

Old 01-08-2015, 09:24 PM   #33
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Immodesty, sorry, I'm just sayin'
Sorry about that, I was just sharing, didn't mean to make anyone uncomfortable, I'm still learning obviously, Kind of new to cooking talking boards. Recently retired and I have too much free time...

My wife has told me I come off as bragging, but its not my intention, the other night we were at a local restaurant meeting friends and they wanted to sit at the bar, we were talking about my street being bendy and a couple sitting by us said they knew our street and asked us which house was ours, I showed them a picture on my phone and they knew the house, they then asked how old we were, I said 34 and 35, they didn't talk to us much after that. Later on the ride home I brought it up to my wife and she said people can get uncomfortable and I come off sometimes like I am bragging.. Which sucks because I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable. I do like nice things, but they are just that, things, at the end of the game the pawns and the kings all go in the same box. Titles and "things" mean nothing....

I almost started a blog and put a link to it in my sig, jk, Im not that bad, lol...

But seriously, again i apologise and I will refrain from this type of "sharing" in the future, I have worked very hard for what I have, many missed xmasses and leaving at 4am to get home just after midnight, to leave at 4am again to get where I am, I do like sharing and showing the stuff I like... But i don't want to offend anyone, I guess I don't get offended, I love seeing peoples stuff, I get excited when someone gets something new and nice, a friend of mine just bought a new car, I actually just got home from running over to take a look at it, couldn't wait for him to show it off to me...
Old 01-08-2015, 09:40 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking4to View Post
Thank you, I got it to match my addiction to 1940's juke boxes, bought this one at an estate auction , it was in a famous local place that my grandfather used to frequent so I had to have it, I have one in better shape that was only $12,000 but I paid much more for this one because of who it belonged to...

That's a gorgeous jukebox. I would be proud of it too! And I would also be proud of the fact that you are so successful at such a young age!

We are a very eclectic bunch here, no need for apologies.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:50 PM   #35
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
That's a gorgeous jukebox. I would be proud of it too! And I would also be proud of the fact that you are so successful at such a young age!

We are a very eclectic bunch here, no need for apologies.
Thank you, I love old jukeboxes, sure they don't sound as clean as a modern day stereo but the entire ambiance it gives off is something else, we had a 50's party last fall and in my other room I have another really nice box with some old pinball machines and a bar, and it looks like it is all out of the 50's, but the funny part is, everyone was taking pictures in that room dressed up in their 50's clthes and last year when we got everyones xmas cards, 5 of our friends {couples} had the picture from out loft on their card, it was so funny, because none of them knew the others were using that picture, I SO wish me and my wife knew that and did the same thing...

Anyway, thanks..
Old 01-08-2015, 10:19 PM   #36
Master Chef

Cooking4to, like Dawg said, we're a mixed group. Even if I'll never buy, I still like to look at shiny things.

We all make choices in our lives on what works for us. Half our furniture is hand-me-downs because I like the patina of old things. We've never had the fancy car/house/vacation because we've always planned for retirement. But it's given us the kind of life that lets us sleep at night. And I would think you sleep quite well, still trying to catch up from those 20-hour days.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:33 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Are you embarrassed about putting commercial equipment in your kitchen?

My grandparents collected antiques for most of their lives. They had some beautiful gramophones that worked, and that played the old cylinders, along with other neat stuff. Sadly, they donated the best of all of it to a local museum. Oh well, we wouldn't have room for all of it anyway!

BTW, C4to, your party sounds like it was a blast!
Old 01-09-2015, 07:06 AM   #38
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
And I would think you sleep quite well, still trying to catch up from those 20-hour days.
We drove up to vermont and back right before xmas, left at 3:30a and got home at midnight, I drove both ways and ran around like a mad man while we were up there {we went to shut down the hunting cabin}. The kids were snoring the entire time up and back, I came home and watched a DVR'd episode of Dateline before going up to bed {wound up from the ride}...

My old employees and other people that have seen my work 18 hour shifts can't understand it, they act amazed as they sit there and drink coffee after coffee, lol. Thats why they can't do it, I don't drink coffee if I did I would be passed out after 8 hours from the crash...
Old 01-09-2015, 07:09 AM   #39
Senior Cook

Dawglover

I love them old gramophones, I dont have any cartridge type but I have one that plays 78's, they were very cool, no electricity needed, just wind them up and point the horn...
Old 01-10-2015, 11:52 AM   #40
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I would absolutely LOVE some commercial equipment in the kitchen, but then again that's my domain, and my other half doesn't really care what things look like. Most of my cooking tools are from restaurant supply, it's the only place where I can buy a whisk that I won't destroy in a month!

I used to have more OCD than I do now. When I met my now husband, he thought that there was no way that I could put up with his messy ways, my apartment was usually spotless with everything in its place, and it was easy to keep that way with just me there. Now we try to keep the main floor tidy, perfect, no, but tidy.

If I had room for a mixer like that, I'd have one in a heartbeat!.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kitchen