Are you embarrassed about putting commercial equipment in your kitchen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My wife wants everything perfect, in our old house she had some sort of decoration in front of every counter plug, with all the appliances under the counter, so when we wanted to make toast, we would have to take the toaster out from under the counter, move a vase with flowers in it over to expose the plug and then plug the toaster in, make the toast, and put the toaster away, then move the flowers back to cover the plug...
If my spouse was like that, I'd be in prison for life right now! :LOL: Cooking4to, you are a saint. ~ BTW, we have a son who played sports from 4th grade up. When he was in high school, his appetite became especially vicious. We would just call him "Stomach with legs". Just sayin'...

If my spouse was like that, I'd be in prison for life right now! :LOL: Cooking4to, you are a saint. ~ BTW, we have a son who played sports from 4th grade up. When he was in high school, his appetite became especially vicious. We would just call him "Stomach with legs". Just sayin'...

LOL, thanks, one good thing about having a wife who needs everything clean is everything is clean, but the screech that will be emitted if you forget to take your shoes off or leave your jacket on the back of a chair can cause physical injury...

My son came home from school at quarter of 3 today, he walked in the house and to the kitchen, turned the sink on and put his water bottle under the faucet, while his bottle was filling he grabbed 2 rolls {I make them with 6 1/2 oz of dough, basic italian mix but with butter and milk}, then shut the sink off and went to the fridge, I made some seafood salad the other night and he filled them rolls up with what would probably weigh about a pound and a half of chicken salad, then sat at the counter and within 6 minutes was wiping the counter down and pushing in his chair...

So before 3 o clock he had been home about 15 minutes and already consumed a little more than 2 lbs of food!!! In his defence he didn't go watch tv after, he sat at the kitchen counter and did just under an hour of home work and is now down stairs in the gym working out. But I promise when he is done working out he is going to come back up stairs and either make another sandwich or have a bowl of soup with a big piece of bread or a salad or something, no doubt about it....

Its a good thing I make a lot of our food because if I had to buy it all I don't think I could afford to feed them...

Reminds me of a line from the Jerry Reed song, "Amos Moses", "they raised up a son who could eat up his weight in groceries".;)

...My wife wants everything perfect...

... Its a sickness and obsession of hers ...

...If I leave my sheeter out on the counter when we are entertaining she will apologize to our guests for it when they come in the kitchen...

...My next house that I build which wont be for about 8 years when the kids are on their own will have a full commercial kitchen ...

WOW!

My dear, dear husband also suffers from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, like many people do; this is a serious condition.
My husband doesn't find the need to leave a room in a particular manner, BUT, he must have things just so, as does your DW. This just eats at him.
And me, I am like you; leaving something or another out, as in not stowed away in a suitable location other than on the kitchen counter (and I too have ample surfaces) doesn't bother me.
It's a matter or order to him, as I assume it is for your wife.
So, to this end I say, it's no hardship on me to 'put my toys away when I'm done playing with them' so that he is happy. That's the main goal, that everyone is happy at the end of the day.
How does the saying go?
"A Happy Wife Is A Happy Life"

And then... I gotta ask ya ... if your children will be 'leaving the nest', why would you at that point have a need for a "full commercial kitchen"?
Our residentially equipped kitchen works just fine for us two and the entertaining that we do in our home as retirees.

WOW!

My dear, dear husband also suffers from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, like many people do; this is a serious condition.
My husband doesn't find the need to leave a room in a particular manner, BUT, he must have things just so, as does your DW. This just eats at him.
And me, I am like you; leaving something or another out, as in not stowed away in a suitable location other than on the kitchen counter (and I too have ample surfaces) doesn't bother me.
It's a matter or order to him, as I assume it is for your wife.
So, to this end I say, it's no hardship on me to 'put my toys away when I'm done playing with them' so that he is happy. That's the main goal, that everyone is happy at the end of the day.
How does the saying go?
"A Happy Wife Is A Happy Life"

And then... I gotta ask ya ... if your children will be 'leaving the nest', why would you at that point have a need for a "full commercial kitchen"?
Our residentially equipped kitchen works just fine for us two and the entertaining that we do in our home as retirees.

That is going to be the last house I build, I always wanted a commercial kitchen, I hate residential stoves and fridges, it wont be for the quantity it will be for the quality. I will never buy a fridge with ice/water on the door, my next kitchen will have a commercial undercounter ice machine, and osmosis filtered on counter water dispenser...

That is going to be my dream house, lol {we already have the prints and plans}. My wife just got hers when I sold my business {we recently bought a 7 bedroom villa in italy}, and mine is much cheaper than that was, lol.. The house we live in now was our kids dream house and when they leave the sale from this house will easily cover double what my lake house is going to cost to build {we already own the lakefront land}, lol... So I have the cheapest taste in the family...
I am easy, I want a theater, a music room for my instruments, jukeboxes, and stereo system, and a commercial kitchen... I use the formal parlor for my stereo room now, but I want a private music room in the lake house
img_1405614_0_ccd10b562a2f723d233e0632c2894654.jpg

It sounds like a lot but my wife has even more wants for the lake house than me...

She wants a master bedroom with french doors {when I built this house she wanted that too, but the plans couldn't support the wide hall way and 26ft ceilings in the formal parlor, we had to choose and the parlor won}, and she wants his and hers master bathrooms, which gets the master suite over 1000 sq ft...

Last edited:
Ooo....I love that GF clock!

Thank you, I got it to match my addiction to 1940's juke boxes, bought this one at an estate auction , it was in a famous local place that my grandfather used to frequent so I had to have it, I have one in better shape that was only $12,000 but I paid much more for this one because of who it belonged to...

img_1405628_0_bead211152f56ed931993b012e2b9e35.jpg

Last edited:
Immodesty, sorry, I'm just sayin'
:unsure:

Sorry about that, I was just sharing, didn't mean to make anyone uncomfortable, I'm still learning obviously, Kind of new to cooking talking boards. Recently retired and I have too much free time...

My wife has told me I come off as bragging, but its not my intention, the other night we were at a local restaurant meeting friends and they wanted to sit at the bar, we were talking about my street being bendy and a couple sitting by us said they knew our street and asked us which house was ours, I showed them a picture on my phone and they knew the house, they then asked how old we were, I said 34 and 35, they didn't talk to us much after that. Later on the ride home I brought it up to my wife and she said people can get uncomfortable and I come off sometimes like I am bragging.. Which sucks because I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable. I do like nice things, but they are just that, things, at the end of the game the pawns and the kings all go in the same box. Titles and "things" mean nothing....

I almost started a blog and put a link to it in my sig, jk, Im not that bad, lol...

But seriously, again i apologise and I will refrain from this type of "sharing" in the future, I have worked very hard for what I have, many missed xmasses and leaving at 4am to get home just after midnight, to leave at 4am again to get where I am, I do like sharing and showing the stuff I like... But i don't want to offend anyone, I guess I don't get offended, I love seeing peoples stuff, I get excited when someone gets something new and nice, a friend of mine just bought a new car, I actually just got home from running over to take a look at it, couldn't wait for him to show it off to me...

Last edited:
Thank you, I got it to match my addiction to 1940's juke boxes, bought this one at an estate auction , it was in a famous local place that my grandfather used to frequent so I had to have it, I have one in better shape that was only $12,000 but I paid much more for this one because of who it belonged to...

img_1405651_0_bead211152f56ed931993b012e2b9e35.jpg

That's a gorgeous jukebox. I would be proud of it too! And I would also be proud of the fact that you are so successful at such a young age!

We are a very eclectic bunch here, no need for apologies.

That's a gorgeous jukebox. I would be proud of it too! And I would also be proud of the fact that you are so successful at such a young age!

We are a very eclectic bunch here, no need for apologies.

Thank you, I love old jukeboxes, sure they don't sound as clean as a modern day stereo but the entire ambiance it gives off is something else, we had a 50's party last fall and in my other room I have another really nice box with some old pinball machines and a bar, and it looks like it is all out of the 50's, but the funny part is, everyone was taking pictures in that room dressed up in their 50's clthes and last year when we got everyones xmas cards, 5 of our friends {couples} had the picture from out loft on their card, it was so funny, because none of them knew the others were using that picture, I SO wish me and my wife knew that and did the same thing...

Anyway, thanks..

Cooking4to, like Dawg said, we're a mixed group. Even if I'll never buy, I still like to look at shiny things.

We all make choices in our lives on what works for us. Half our furniture is hand-me-downs because I like the patina of old things. We've never had the fancy car/house/vacation because we've always planned for retirement. But it's given us the kind of life that lets us sleep at night. And I would think you sleep quite well, still trying to catch up from those 20-hour days. ;)

My grandparents collected antiques for most of their lives. They had some beautiful gramophones that worked, and that played the old cylinders, along with other neat stuff. Sadly, they donated the best of all of it to a local museum. Oh well, we wouldn't have room for all of it anyway!

BTW, C4to, your party sounds like it was a blast!

Last edited:
And I would think you sleep quite well, still trying to catch up from those 20-hour days. ;)

We drove up to vermont and back right before xmas, left at 3:30a and got home at midnight, I drove both ways and ran around like a mad man while we were up there {we went to shut down the hunting cabin}. The kids were snoring the entire time up and back, I came home and watched a DVR'd episode of Dateline before going up to bed {wound up from the ride}...

My old employees and other people that have seen my work 18 hour shifts can't understand it, they act amazed as they sit there and drink coffee after coffee, lol. Thats why they can't do it, I don't drink coffee if I did I would be passed out after 8 hours from the crash...

Dawglover

I love them old gramophones, I dont have any cartridge type but I have one that plays 78's, they were very cool, no electricity needed, just wind them up and point the horn...

Last edited:
I would absolutely LOVE some commercial equipment in the kitchen, but then again that's my domain, and my other half doesn't really care what things look like. Most of my cooking tools are from restaurant supply, it's the only place where I can buy a whisk that I won't destroy in a month!

I used to have more OCD than I do now. When I met my now husband, he thought that there was no way that I could put up with his messy ways, my apartment was usually spotless with everything in its place, and it was easy to keep that way with just me there. Now we try to keep the main floor tidy, perfect, no, but tidy.

If I had room for a mixer like that, I'd have one in a heartbeat!.

Back
Top Bottom