"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 01-06-2015, 10:55 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Are you embarrassed about putting commercial equipment in your kitchen?

When we entertain, my wife hates how our countertop appliances are commercial-ish, she makes me put my sheeter in the closet, lol... She doesnt complain about the Bunn single serve commercial coffee machine I installed, hard piped so she never has to pour water in it...

I don't care how it looks, I use this stuff almost daily... I am not buying residential appliances anymore... I burnt up 2 kitchen aid mixers, and the second one I made sure to change the oil when it separated and tried to make that thing last, I just use them too often and a lot of times consecutively.

This equipment saves me a lot of time and work, for example like this weekend I am making gnocchi and ravioli, Ill do 10lbs of each, that would have been like 18 batches with the kitchen aid. It will be 4 with my General mixer {I could do one of each, but I do a some with no egg}. I will also use my robot coupe r2n shredder attachment to shred the potatoes, its will take much less time than how I used to do them with a cheese grater.

Then I will roll the pasta out with my dovoy 18" sheeter for the ravioli, it comes perfect, vs my rolling pinning it and beating myself up to get it consistent.

Anyway, does anyone else use commercial-ish equipment in their home..

Heres a few picture of a corner of my kitchen, I also have a closet full of stuff I don't use as much, like a conveyor oven {nice for making puff pastry assembly line}, tons of nemco commercial cutters, lettuce, scallions, onions, tomatoes, I even have the blooming onion cutter, plus I have a smoker in the garage and a fry machine...

But I do a lot of cooking...

Old 01-07-2015, 12:18 AM   #2
Head Chef

If I had that stuff in my kitchen, not only would I not be embarrassed, but heck, I'd display it for everyone to see. Id even call people over to check it out.

I redid my kitchen a few years back, and sure wanted it to look nice and all that. But, I should have doubled the size ( like i wanted too) so I could fill it with all the machines and gadgets I always wanted

Old 01-07-2015, 12:53 AM   #3
Master Chef

I wouldn't be embarrassed about it ... but I honestly prefer my countertop space to be as clear as possible ... have as little as possible out.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:34 AM   #4
Head Chef

I don't see any reason to be embarrassed, but like most people I can't really say that I'd have much use for any of that stuff. When I make pasta, it's for a single meal for two or 3, maybe with a leftover serving for lunch. I make at most 2 loaves of bread at one time, and most of my cooking is similar.

With just two of us in the house, it doesn't make sense to equip the kitchen for the once or twice a year when we make a larger meal for a church dinner or the like. Heck, I'm excited as all getout over my new GE Adora 5 burner gas range.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:57 AM   #5
Master Chef

^What Claire said.^ However, if Himself did all the cooking, and in such an outstanding manner as you do Cooking4to, he could put as much as he wanted on the counter just so long as he saved me a spot big enough to make a PB&J sandwich.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:37 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I wouldn't be embarrassed about it ... but I honestly prefer my countertop space to be as clear as possible ... have as little as possible out.

I agree with this, but we have more than enough free work space, I had a 4 foot curly maple cutting board made that is clear with nothing on it for all kinds of prep plus another maybe 8 feet of countertop. The kitchen in on the medium large side so room isn't a big issue, my wife worries about the aesthetics... If it was easy to put away I wouldn't mind but my mixer is almost 20lbs, lol and the under counter space is more valuable than the on counter space...
Old 01-07-2015, 07:56 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I don't see any reason to be embarrassed, but like most people I can't really say that I'd have much use for any of that stuff. When I make pasta, it's for a single meal for two or 3, maybe with a leftover serving for lunch. I make at most 2 loaves of bread at one time, and most of my cooking is similar.

With just two of us in the house, it doesn't make sense to equip the kitchen for the once or twice a year when we make a larger meal for a church dinner or the like. Heck, I'm excited as all getout over my new GE Adora 5 burner gas range.

I do a lot of cooking, this weekend I am making gnocchi and pierogi, Ill do about 10lbs of each, last week I did 20 lbs of ravioli. For thanksgiving we had 42 people over for dinner, and 6 stayed with us through the weekend, xmas eve dinner was 17, new years this year was only 6 but last year was 28... My kitchen gets used a lot, we are on our second stove and I built this house in 09, lol...

I make everything in bulk and then potion package and freeze. It saves a lot of time and money, but the real reason I do it is because I like knowing what the kids are eating. I haven't bought store bread in a long long time, I make about 3 loaves a week, 1 and a half gets used for the kids school lunches, 1 for sunday dinner, and the other 1 and a half just gets eaten throughout the week.
My oldest son {15} eats like a horse year round, both of them are big boys hes 15 and already 5'11" 170lbs, and he just uses so much energy he has to eat constantly to put it back, during football season he never stops and then in the off season he is training 40 minutes in the morning and over an hour every night... My youngest {13} is following his lead, so feeding these two monsters is a full time job, lol...

I try to make everything I can myself, I buy turkey breasts from a local farm, and slow roast them then slice them for sandwich meat same goes for roast beef...

If I didn't have the wall ovens and the commercial appliances, I think it would make all the work miserable, but since it makes it fast and easy, I don't mind coming home from a 9 hour work day and spending a few hours in the kitchen, plus having 2 teenage boys to help me clean up the mess is convenient...
Old 01-07-2015, 08:15 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
^What Claire said.^ However, if Himself did all the cooking, and in such an outstanding manner as you do Cooking4to, he could put as much as he wanted on the counter just so long as he saved me a spot big enough to make a PB&J sandwich.
LOL, we have a medium large home {around 4500 sq feet} with a good sized kitchen, there is plenty of room for her to make pb and j.. Its funny you said that because my wife loves pb and j... I don't make my own peanut butter any longer since we use pb2 {I like the taste and it omits the fat, much healthier}, but I make my own jams and bread, I take pb and j pretty serious, lol, there is always room to throw one together...

Toast one side of each piece of bread put the pb on the non toasted side of one slice and the jam on the other, then shave some chocolate mint over the peanut butter and put the 2 halfs together...

Or if you want it a little savory, toast the bread the same and add some super crispy bacon chips to the middle and use jalapeno jelly... The jelly is super easy, green and jalapeno peppers boiled in apple cider vinegar, then strain that through chz cloth, return to boil and stir in some sugar and salt, let it go for a short bit, then stir in some liquid pectin, after a bit stir in some fine cut jalapenos, jar it and done...
Old 01-07-2015, 09:06 AM   #9
Master Chef

Why in the world would one be embarrassed. ?
Old 01-07-2015, 09:13 AM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Ah! some of us have no kids and don't entertain, we just cook for an SO. While I have worked in enough kitchens and restaurants to appreciate the commercial equipment, I can't justify having them in my tiny kitchen.

Tags
kitchen