"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 11-10-2006, 10:55 AM   #11
Master Chef

I used a special stainless steel cleaner for the refrigerator, and also have a special cleaner for my black stovetop. They are pretty pricey, though, and I think plain white vinegar in a spray bottle would do just as good a job.
I sure wouldn't use baby oil...that would be a gooey mess.

Old 11-10-2006, 10:59 AM   #12
Head Chef

We have stainless steel appliances, and yes, we use baby oil. Its like waxing you car, or polishing wood, it goes on and you buff it off.....just how your car is not left sticky neither are your appliances. For us it works better than the products specifically for cleaning SS appliences, and is very very quick to do. It certainly doesn't seem to be a dust magnet in our house. SSdoes show everythng up otherwise, worse than the white appliences we have in the other house and baby oil has been the easiest way to deal with it. I wipe down my kitchen daily, and do a more thourough job weekly, in which I do the ss fronts. The SS hob hood I do much less frequently, apart from the underside, the top sides I do I guess every couple of months throughly with oil and they sparkle on. It just takes a couple of minutes, its just the tiniest bit of oil you are using.

Hope this does not mean that I am OCD about the appliances!

Old 11-10-2006, 11:27 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

Baking soda is a good cleaner/polish for SS. I wouldn't put baby oil for the reason others have said--dust--and general buildup.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:40 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Only one of my appliances are stainless steel - the 2 doors on the fridge, and for those, I just use some Windex and a paper towel, which takes away any smudges, dirt, fingerprints and grease.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:48 AM   #15
Master Chef

Baby oil will leave a residu which will attract dust and highlight fingerprints, IMO.

Corey's right -- Windex works.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:49 AM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
Only one of my appliances are stainless steel - the 2 doors on the fridge, and for those, I just use some Windex and a paper towel, which takes away any smudges, dirt, fingerprints and grease.

This is how I clean my black appliances.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:50 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Well, lulu seems to be the only one here who has actually tried it. She likes it and her observations about NO sticky mess or dust magnet must be true. I'd take my clues from someone who has actually done it/is doing it. And that's not saying that I thought the exact same thing everyone else did either!!!!! But when I read lulu's - well, she is actually using this method.

It's not like you leave a film on - you wipe on and wipe off like she says. I'll go out and buy all new SS appliances and let everyone know (oh how I wish) lol It might be Monday before everything can be delivered though

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:51 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
This is how I clean my black appliances.
Andy M - I will NEVER have black appliances again - thank goodness my eyesight is like yours!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:58 PM   #19
Head Chef

Yes, you rub it all off, using it like a cleaning agent. Just like I hope I manage to rinse my hair of shampoo and my windows of viengar and my dishes of washing up liquid. I think it is the standard way of cleaning SS in England, I mean, I know about it, so must be common here. And honestly, its not a dust magnate, in my experience. Right now we have he cats and the biggest dog on earth here, I just could not cope with any thing that create muck for memore much for me. All I can suggest is that people who have found it so could be using too much and not buffing it off enough. :)
Old 11-11-2006, 05:23 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Lol - well, that's what I get for responding to a topic before my second cup of coffee! My bad!