Baby Oil on Stainless Steel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kitchenelf said:
Andy M - I will NEVER have black appliances again - thank goodness my eyesight is like yours!!!!

Never have understood this. I (we) have all black appliances and love them. I have no trouble keeping them clean. I just usually wipe them down with the dishrag when I wash pots and pans after cooking, then wipe off the residue with a dry towel. The only one that really needs daily cleaning is the range anyway. The fridge and dishwasher don't generally get that dirty between regular kitchen cleanings.

lulu said:
We have stainless steel appliances, and yes, we use baby oil. Its like waxing you car, or polishing wood, it goes on and you buff it off.....just how your car is not left sticky neither are your appliances. For us it works better than the products specifically for cleaning SS appliences, and is very very quick to do. It certainly doesn't seem to be a dust magnet in our house. SSdoes show everythng up otherwise, worse than the white appliences we have in the other house and baby oil has been the easiest way to deal with it. I wipe down my kitchen daily, and do a more thourough job weekly, in which I do the ss fronts. The SS hob hood I do much less frequently, apart from the underside, the top sides I do I guess every couple of months throughly with oil and they sparkle on. It just takes a couple of minutes, its just the tiniest bit of oil you are using.

Hope this does not mean that I am OCD about the appliances!
I do the same as you- and Iam not OCD, it doesn't take much, then buff !

My precious black & stainless stove and dishwasher are in storage. The black top showed every speck of dust - we live in an agricultural area where peat dust flies. The stainless didn't give me a problem, much easier than the white. We actually thought about facing the kitchen cabinets in aluminum until they told us they were going to demolish the trailer.

I just used windex on my stainless - kept it clean and bright. That's what I use now on the appliances.

Wow! Thanks for all the advice. Lulu and Barb, how often do you do the baby oil thing? Do you buff out with paper towels, soft towel or what? Come to think of it, our old cleaning lady used to wipe my stainless steel sink with oil every once in a while - now I know why. I don't remember it being too gooey either, I remember it looked great til I used it and then it wasn't pretty anymore, just a sink. How long do finger prints stay away with the baby oil method?

Michelemarie said:
Wow! Thanks for all the advice. Lulu and Barb, how often do you do the baby oil thing? Do you buff out with paper towels, soft towel or what? Come to think of it, our old cleaning lady used to wipe my stainless steel sink with oil every once in a while - now I know why. I don't remember it being too gooey either, I remember it looked great til I used it and then it wasn't pretty anymore, just a sink. How long do finger prints stay away with the baby oil method?
I just use baby oil on my sink, w/ a paper towel !

Constance said:
I used a special stainless steel cleaner for the refrigerator, and also have a special cleaner for my black stovetop. They are pretty pricey, though, and I think plain white vinegar in a spray bottle would do just as good a job.
I sure wouldn't use baby oil...that would be a gooey mess.

Hey Const.....whats the cleaner for your black stovetop? I so regret buying a stainless steel stove with a black top. The black top is a nightmare when cleaning and its nothing but a dust magnet. Sure could use some tips.

kitchenelf said:
Andy M - I will NEVER have black appliances again - thank goodness my eyesight is like yours!!!!

I don't wish for poor eyesight.....just wished I'd researched a little better when I went to purchase our stove (stainless with black top). Thus since I have good eyesight I'm constantly wiping this thing down.....:censored: . If you like everything in a nice clean orderly manner..........beware of black appliances.....their dust magnets and will drive you crazy.

Michelemarie said:

It has no set day for being done, but not more than once a fortnight- more like once a month....or half way between I would say. I don't use papertowel that often in my house, so I just use a softish rag. In between times, when the benches etc get a wipe down I just wipe it over with a dry cloth, unless it needs a wet cloth for spills (very common here) in which case I wipe it dry with the soft cloth and a circular motion. (Most of my soft kitchen rags are old towels/faceclothes whose pile has gone soft and fluffy through wear and been banished from the bathroom)

Similarly, if you rub your stailess steel sink roughly dry with a small terry towel it will take thirty seconds to dry it to a full shine again. :)

Reply; thought I was replying to baby oil on Stainless Steel? I used it for years. Needs redone maybe every couple of days as it shows hand prints, fuzz, lint, dog hair.

I am going to try a generic window cleaner (which I assume Windex is) and see how it compares! Might as well try. What I'll do is clean one with windex and one with baby oil, and compare results side by side....I am very prepared to try something new if it cuts down on work etc. I haven't bought window cleaner for ages though...., lol. I'll let you all know what I think.

Update in comparison. Note, I did not use windex but a generic window cleaner!

Test conditions: country kitchen, no kids finger prints to worry about, but a fair bit of dust and pet hair need cleaning up.
well, I thought the window cleaner would be quicker to buff, as that seems the main advantage....but kind of the same time for a streak free finish to be honest. They show no real difference in dust collection (again, the top oven was Baby oil, the lower one windex....may be if reversed the baby oil would have got dustier?) To be honest, the baby oil is shinier IMO, and I will use it, simply because I don't use window cleaner at home (I use vinegar) and I do use baby oil for other things. The baby oil one buffed slightly better in rushed dry cloth buffing btwn cleans, but again, just because it was slightly shinier in the first place (neither need a proper surface re clean yet, seem to be lasting the same) If I had a brushed SS surface I might feel windex was easier, or if I had it in the house anyway...

I really feel based on my "test" its horses for courses. I'll stick to baby oil, I like the shine, feel happy using it and don't usually buy window cleaner, but I would not buy it if I were happy with the window cleaner already.

So, although I haven't really cleared anything up really, it was interesting to compare!

Either Windex or a generic cleaner should have worked.

You have to use an imppeccably clean rag or paper towel, of course. But there should not have been any streaks on the surface.

There were no dtreaks by the time I had finished, but I assumed it would be quicker to get streak free, Corey. I used a clean, soft, very old terry nappy. I do not use commercial cleaners that often and when I do I kind of expect miracles from them to make it worthwhile. If you have the windex anyway its good, I would use it. I will not be going out to buy it again : but it did work. My guess is everybody cleans in a slightly different way and has different prefered products that might interact differently etc, I don't use that much kitchen paper or commercial cleaners, so maybe my oil is better with a soft cloth and the windex with towel, who knows? LOL.

lulu said:
Update in comparison. Note, I did not use windex but a generic window cleaner!

Test conditions: country kitchen, no kids finger prints to worry about, but a fair bit of dust and pet hair need cleaning up.
well, I thought the window cleaner would be quicker to buff, as that seems the main advantage....but kind of the same time for a streak free finish to be honest. They show no real difference in dust collection (again, the top oven was Baby oil, the lower one windex....may be if reversed the baby oil would have got dustier?) To be honest, the baby oil is shinier IMO, and I will use it, simply because I don't use window cleaner at home (I use vinegar) and I do use baby oil for other things. The baby oil one buffed slightly better in rushed dry cloth buffing btwn cleans, but again, just because it was slightly shinier in the first place (neither need a proper surface re clean yet, seem to be lasting the same) If I had a brushed SS surface I might feel windex was easier, or if I had it in the house anyway...

I really feel based on my "test" its horses for courses. I'll stick to baby oil, I like the shine, feel happy using it and don't usually buy window cleaner, but I would not buy it if I were happy with the window cleaner already.

So, although I haven't really cleared anything up really, it was interesting to compare!

Well, I must say I am surprised, I did not think that baby oil would do the trick. I do like shiny and I have both products in the house, so I may try it when my appliances arrive and are installed. Thanks Lulu!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom