"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 11-15-2006, 01:07 PM   #31
Assistant Cook

Reply; thought I was replying to baby oil on Stainless Steel? I used it for years. Needs redone maybe every couple of days as it shows hand prints, fuzz, lint, dog hair.

Old 11-15-2006, 03:07 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Hence Windex, which is maintenence-free.

Just spray, wipe and go!

Old 11-16-2006, 03:44 AM   #33
Head Chef

I am going to try a generic window cleaner (which I assume Windex is) and see how it compares! Might as well try. What I'll do is clean one with windex and one with baby oil, and compare results side by side....I am very prepared to try something new if it cuts down on work etc. I haven't bought window cleaner for ages though...., lol. I'll let you all know what I think.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:15 AM   #34
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Lulu, let me know the results of your test!
Old 11-23-2006, 07:52 AM   #35
Head Chef

Update in comparison. Note, I did not use windex but a generic window cleaner!

Test conditions: country kitchen, no kids finger prints to worry about, but a fair bit of dust and pet hair need cleaning up.
well, I thought the window cleaner would be quicker to buff, as that seems the main advantage....but kind of the same time for a streak free finish to be honest. They show no real difference in dust collection (again, the top oven was Baby oil, the lower one windex....may be if reversed the baby oil would have got dustier?) To be honest, the baby oil is shinier IMO, and I will use it, simply because I don't use window cleaner at home (I use vinegar) and I do use baby oil for other things. The baby oil one buffed slightly better in rushed dry cloth buffing btwn cleans, but again, just because it was slightly shinier in the first place (neither need a proper surface re clean yet, seem to be lasting the same) If I had a brushed SS surface I might feel windex was easier, or if I had it in the house anyway...

I really feel based on my "test" its horses for courses. I'll stick to baby oil, I like the shine, feel happy using it and don't usually buy window cleaner, but I would not buy it if I were happy with the window cleaner already.

So, although I haven't really cleared anything up really, it was interesting to compare!
Old 11-23-2006, 08:32 AM   #36
Executive Chef

Either Windex or a generic cleaner should have worked.

You have to use an imppeccably clean rag or paper towel, of course. But there should not have been any streaks on the surface.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:15 AM   #37
Head Chef

There were no dtreaks by the time I had finished, but I assumed it would be quicker to get streak free, Corey. I used a clean, soft, very old terry nappy. I do not use commercial cleaners that often and when I do I kind of expect miracles from them to make it worthwhile. If you have the windex anyway its good, I would use it. I will not be going out to buy it again : but it did work. My guess is everybody cleans in a slightly different way and has different prefered products that might interact differently etc, I don't use that much kitchen paper or commercial cleaners, so maybe my oil is better with a soft cloth and the windex with towel, who knows? LOL.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:22 AM   #38
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu
Update in comparison. Note, I did not use windex but a generic window cleaner!

Test conditions: country kitchen, no kids finger prints to worry about, but a fair bit of dust and pet hair need cleaning up.
well, I thought the window cleaner would be quicker to buff, as that seems the main advantage....but kind of the same time for a streak free finish to be honest. They show no real difference in dust collection (again, the top oven was Baby oil, the lower one windex....may be if reversed the baby oil would have got dustier?) To be honest, the baby oil is shinier IMO, and I will use it, simply because I don't use window cleaner at home (I use vinegar) and I do use baby oil for other things. The baby oil one buffed slightly better in rushed dry cloth buffing btwn cleans, but again, just because it was slightly shinier in the first place (neither need a proper surface re clean yet, seem to be lasting the same) If I had a brushed SS surface I might feel windex was easier, or if I had it in the house anyway...

I really feel based on my "test" its horses for courses. I'll stick to baby oil, I like the shine, feel happy using it and don't usually buy window cleaner, but I would not buy it if I were happy with the window cleaner already.

So, although I haven't really cleared anything up really, it was interesting to compare!
Well, I must say I am surprised, I did not think that baby oil would do the trick. I do like shiny and I have both products in the house, so I may try it when my appliances arrive and are installed. Thanks Lulu!
Old 11-26-2006, 06:44 PM   #39
Head Chef

I would do a bit of research before I put Baby Oil on my Stainless Steel refrigerator.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote