Babycakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ghodur

Assistant Cook
I just got one of the Babycakes cupcake makers at the Goodwill and I'm all set to play with it. Does anyone have experience with it, or tips or recipes? This one appears to make regular sized cupcakes, not the mini ones.

I just got one of the Babycakes cupcake makers at the Goodwill and I'm all set to play with it. Does anyone have experience with it, or tips or recipes? This one appears to make regular sized cupcakes, not the mini ones.
I know the gadget but not this make so looked it up. It may only take 5 minutes to BAKE 8 cupcakes but you still have to make the mixture and while you are doing enough for 8 you might as well make 3 dozen (I can fit 3 trays of 12 in my oven at one fell swoop) and freeze the ones I don't need immediately. It takes fractionally longer to bake them in the big oven but the mixing doesn't take any longer for a lot than for 8.

Cup cake gadgets were very popular over here a year or two back especially as the teenage girls' "wanna" present but they are showing up with monotonous regularity in charity shops so it looks like a one minute wonder

If it didn't come with an instruction leaflet have a look on the maker's website,

As for a recipe:-
4 ounces softened (not melted) butter
4 ounces caster sugar (superfine sugar in the US, I think)
4 ounces sifted self-raising flour
Two eggs of a size that in their shells they weigh 4 ounces (give or take)
A little milk if needed

This is the traditional British Victoria sandwich mix but it does for anything really. Beat sugar and butter together until pale and creamed. beat in eggs one by one. Fold in flour. Put into baking cases and bake according to your gadget's instructions. If you add 1/2 a teaspoon of baking powder to the flour when sifting you can throw the lot into a bowl at once and beat them all together until light and fluffy instead of faffing about. Makes a dozen or so depending how generous you are when filling the cases. I use paper cup cake cases as it saves the bother of greasing the tins (pans). You can flavour them any way you like, eg replace a tablespoon of flour with one of unsweetened cocoa powder to make chocolate cupcakes, or use food colouring to make pink ones (or blue ones if you like). And the world's your oyster when it comes to decoration.

Last edited:
I'm usually cooking for myself, so I don't really want 3 dozen of anything, frozen or not. I appreciate the variety this offers, the fact that they 'll get eaten quickly and I can make something else totally different.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom