Belgian vs classic waffles...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StellaSquash

Assistant Cook
This is my first post aside from my intro so forgive me if it's in the wrong area.

Is there a difference when using waffle recipes in either a Belgian waffle iron versus a classic iron?

I have a Belgian waffle iron that I LOVE. I have a recipe that makes perfect Belgian waffles. However, my son prefers regular, classic waffles. He's used to frozen store bought :sick: and I'm slowly making the transition from things like that the best I can.

I'm trying to decide if I should just go ahead and buy another waffle iron (much to my husbands dismay :-p) that makes classic size. I wonder if I will be able to use my oh so fabulous recipe for Belgian waffles with similar results?

Comparing Belgian waffles to classic, is size the only difference?

Belgian waffles typically have added sugar and melted butter or oil. I also have some recipes which call for using the eggs separated ... mixing the yolk in and whipping the whites until stiff and folding into the batter for feather light waffles. I find that if I am in a hurry and I add a pinch of baking powder, it lightens the batter.

My grandmother has the coolest antique waffle maker from her childhood (she is 85!) that looks sort of Aladdin-like. It makes a wonderful round waffle somewhere in between the classic and Belgian variety, but she is not ready to break up housekeeping and probably doesn't want to deal with a bunch of mad Italians fighting over a 70 year old appliance, LOL. Those are special waffles.

I think it would be fine to make whatever waffles you want in whatever appliance you have.
I do!

Traditional Belgian waffles are substantially different in taste, but similar in texture. Shape isn't the only difference. Belgian waffles are a yeast risen batter that also incorporates the air of beaten egg white into the batter. They aren't necessarily sweeter than any other waffel, and other ingredients can be added to the batter recipe, as long as it compliments the waffle flavor and doesn't greatly affect the texture. Here's a classic Belgian Waffle recipe:

1 tbs. active dry yeast, or one packet of active dry yeast
1/4 cup water, heated to 105 degrees

Combine in a large bowl:
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
3 tbs. sugar

Wet ingredients:
1 large egg, seperated
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 tbs. cooking oil

Dissolve the yeast in the warm water and set aside.

In a seperate bowl, beat the egg whites with a mixer or wire whisk until firm. Add the egg yolk, vanilla, milk, and oil to the dry ingredients. Check the yeast mixture. If a foam has developed on top, gently stir into the batter. Finally, fold the beaten egg into the batter, taking care not to collapse the foam. Let rise for 15 to 20 minutes.

Spoon the batter into the hot, greased belian Waffel Iron and cook to a light brown state, or slightly darker if desired. Remove immediately to a raised cooling rack to allow air to circulate all around the waffels. Serve with freshly sliced fruit and either a dusting of powdered sugar, or whipped cream on top.

American Style Waffles:

Dry Ingredients:
Combine in a large bowl:
1 cup all purpose flour
3 tbs. double-acting baking powder
2 tbs. sugar
1/2 tsp salt.
Whisk with a baloon whisk to blend the ingredients

Add:
1 large egg
3/4 cup plus 2 tbs. milk
3 tbs. cooking oil
1 tsp. vanilla (optional)

Stir with a wire whisk, but just until everything is mixed together. Overmixing will creat a tough waffle.

Spoon into a greased waffle iron and cook until golden brown. Remo ve to a raised cooling rack to allow them to get a little crispy. You can keep them in the oven if you like. Serve with your favorite syrup, or fruit preserves.

When you taste the two, you will notice that Both waffles are very light, and slightly crispy. The main differences are the size of the depressions, and the yeast flavor in the Belgian waffle.

Either batter can be used in either waffle iron. But then, you are changing from a more traditional approach to a more playful approach. Me, I'm a non-conformist and will break all of the rules just to try new ideas. but I know the rules well enough, and have enough experience to allow me to play without creating something inedible (well, usually, anyway;)).

When you make your waffles, experiment a little. Add flavorings such as lemon extracts, or mashed sweet potatoes, or omit the sugar and add garlic and italian herbs, then top with pepperoni, pizza sauce, and cheese. Heat it all up in the microwave.

Waffles can be eaten either sweet or savory, and can have veggies added to the batter, especially sweet, whole corn kernels, or any type of cooked winter squash, or sweet potatoes, or shredded zuchini, yellow crook-neck, etc.

Iv'e made waffles that tasted just like pumpkin pie by adding flour, and proofed yeast to a pumpkin pie filling recipe. I regularly experiment with the second recipe I gave you by adding things like strawberry extract, or maple, or shredded coconut, or cocoa powder and extra sweetener, or, or, or..., well, you get the picture.

Make savory waffles and serve them with shredded or sliced beef and gravy on top, or pulled pork and your favorite bbq sauce.

Here's one for you, make the Belgian Waffle recipe, with added sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. When they are done, place Velveeta Cheese and a slice of ham on top of one waffle. Cover with a second and heat in the microwave to melt the cheese. Eat it like a Monte Kristo sandwich, with syrup over the top.

Waffles make a great bread substitution for tuna melts as well. Those little beauties will due almost anything bread can do, and then some.

Get your basic recipes and techniques down, and then start to play with your food, in spit of what your mother told you.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I got an HB waffle baker that I think I only used once or twice.

Cleanup is kind of hard, especially if too much batter is put in the unit.

Omg

It was not a good time to read this thread, I'm starving & I don't think this will fly as an idea for dinner ... :ohmy:

Either way sounds better than Eggo's, which aren't too bad if you don't have a waffle iron. ;)

Stellasquash,
Jacques Deseyne is a well known Belgian chef.
Here is a webpage with his recipes for waffles: BABEL
Note: There is no "Belgian waffle" per se, as Belgians prepare them according to the region where they live. The Brussels Waffle is probable the most popular in USA, but I suggest you to try the Vlaamse (Flemish) variation, without brandy.
Enjoy !

Back
Top Bottom