Best Blender/Emulsifier

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JGDean

Sous Chef
I stupidly got rid of my 25 year old stainless dependable Osterizer Blender when all it really needed was a new blade. I then purchased the over-priced peice of junk Montel originally sold. It was extremely noisy and difficult to clean. I gave it to a friend and 2 months later it fried and now she wants to pay $60.00 (for shipping) for me to get a new motor. I suggested NO. So she doesn't have a blender and I have a cheapy That leaves chunks of ice and fruit in smoothies. If you haven't fallen asleep yet...

What is the best blender for home use?

Many years ago, I bought a Hamilton Beach commercial bar blender with glass container. The only control is a three-way switch: OFF, ON, and STAND BACK AND AVERT YOUR EYES. Can't kill it. They're about $100 now. I suppose it depends on how you use a blender. My need is real basic - I want to do a basic blending job and occasionally to crush ice.

...What is the best blender for home use?

On the surface, it's easy to recommend the most expensive blender as a foolproof solution that won't disappoint with its performance.

I think you should consider how and how much you use your blender. I use a blender occasionally to blend a sauce or similar when a stick blender is not the best choice. In the summertime, we may make some drinks with lots of ice. That's about it. I bought a $50 blender with a glass container about ten years ago and it continues to work like new.

On the other hand, if your blender would get heavy use on a daily basis making smoothies, crushing ice, etc, a more expensive and sturdier blender may be the way to go.

I think you should consider how and how much you use your blender. I use a blender occasionally to blend a sauce or similar when a stick blender is not the best choice. In the summertime, we may make some drinks with lots of ice. That's about it. I bought a $50 blender with a glass container about ten years ago and it continues to work like new.

On the other hand, if your blender would get heavy use on a daily basis making smoothies, crushing ice, etc, a more expensive and sturdier blender may be the way to go.

This is what I was thinking. Heavy use: get something like a VitaMix or Blendtec. Light or Moderate user: Something that's $50 or $100 will last you a long time and do everything you need it to do. I've actually been looking at possibly getting a new blender, so I will definitely following this thread.

HSN has a new Krups blender for $90 right now ($180 on Amazon). Can't say I really know how their blenders are, but it looks to be a good one. I can't find many reviews on the net about it though. I will say that their last blender model (the KB720) didn't fare too well.

Not entirely sure why I mentioned it in the first place. *scratches head*

Last edited:
I could only find a Black and Decker with glass, it was about $60 and it is perfect for anything I've thrown at it, ice, crackers, bread, soup.

Personally, I like my immersion blender better and it gets a lot more use than the blender.

Last edited:
Vita Mix 5200 with wet and dry containers...$58+tax at a thrift store, new in the (opened) box. Braun 300 watt 2 speed immersion blender, $2+tax, used, same store, different day.

Vita Mix 5200 with wet and dry containers...$58+tax at a thrift store, new in the (opened) box. Braun 300 watt 2 speed immersion blender, $2+tax, used, same store, different day.

I want your thrift store. I've never had a find that good.

I think thing I want most in a blender is a blender with enough power/good design to not get a big air pocket when I am making my marinara sauce.

I stupidly got rid of my 25 year old stainless dependable Osterizer Blender when all it really needed was a new blade. I then purchased the over-priced peice of junk Montel originally sold. It was extremely noisy and difficult to clean. I gave it to a friend and 2 months later it fried and now she wants to pay $60.00 (for shipping) for me to get a new motor. I suggested NO. So she doesn't have a blender and I have a cheapy That leaves chunks of ice and fruit in smoothies. If you haven't fallen asleep yet...

What is the best blender for home use?
I have several Osterizers and they all have blade bearing seal failure problems. These seal failures can result in lubricating grease/oil being blended into the food. For BIG batches of marinara and such I'm quite impressed by the Waring commercial duty Big Stik WSB65 with an 18" shaft.
Of course it sorta overkill for home use. If you had an electric generator on your boat you could probably use the Big Stik like a Go Devil :LOL:!
It's definitely not for a girlyman.

Last edited:
I have several Osterizers and they all have blade bearing seal failure problems. These seal failures can result in lubricating grease/oil being blended into the food. For BIG batches of marinara and such I'm quite impressed by the Waring commercial duty Big Stik WSB65 with an 18" shaft.
Of course it sorta overkill for home use. If you had an electric generator on your boat you could probably use the Big Stik like a Go Devil :LOL:!
It's definitely not for a girlyman.

If I have to stand on the stock pot like I would a 5 gallon bucket of grout...that Immersion Blender would be too big.:LOL:

I personally don't have a very good blender at the moment, but my parents have a Vitamix and they swear by it. If I was in the market for a good blender, I would start by checking them out.

Last edited:
About 25 years ago I bought my daughter a Sunbeam blender with a glass jar. She has had to replace the glass jar twice. Miss Klutz has a habit of taking it outside in the yard and dropping it. I don't even know if they make them anymore. So she had better take care of the jar she has. The motor works fine to this day. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom