Best blender/food processor for pureeing ice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coolbeans

Assistant Cook
I like to make thick protein shakes with lots of ice. What's the best thing to buy for blending ice into a smooth puree? I really only need about a 4 cup capacity since it's only for me. and I'm looking for something for under $50 also.

also we have a magic bullet at my parents house, and it works pretty good, but it is too small. I'd like something that works as just as well, but a little bit larger capacity.

at our house we used to have an expensive cuisinart food processor, it was about 7-10 cups, and it worked really well for blending ice. So I was looking at the mini prep 4 cup processor from cuisinart, but maybe a blender would work just as well?

I would recommend the Ninja but it's $100. A powerful motor is needed to crush ice and that ain't cheap.

A mini chopper isn't going to be as robust as a full sized cuisinart, and will certainly be too small for what you are looking for, they will likely leak and make a mess.

I'd go for a blender, since even the cheaper ones are designed to crush ice. I'd go on amazon and search blenders and when you see some in your price range, read the reviews. Since many use them for smoothies and such, you'll get a good idea which work best.

Our Ninja Pulse works very well for such things, and many other chores as well. But it is $70 to $90. what I really like about it is that I accidently dropped the "bowl" and broke it. They absolutely gave me great service, and replaced it. But the replacement bowl, for whatever reason, was the wrong one for the motor base. I sent it back twice, explaining what was different about it and the original. Finally, they sent me a complete new blender, base, bowl, and the two mini blending cups, all for free. Except for me dropping the original bowl, the blender has worked flawlessly. It's the only product I've ever seen on an info-mercial that lived up to it's hype (I never purchase info-mercial products, ever! Though I did buy the Ninja:LOL:).

Seeeeeeya;chief Longwind of the North

I really like my KitchenAide blender. It has a pulse mode for ice that agitates it to keep the ice from jamming up. I had a Waring classic blender that was lousy for crushing ice and use this one for purees mostly. Love the KitchenAide.....I don't remember the model number though.
Tom

It's always interesting to hear other people say that price is a consideration. I do not have much $$$, so I have learned to shop thrift stores and rummage sales. I have a Vita Mix 5000, came with a wet and a dry container and a pusher, but didn't have the recipe book. Open box, thrift store, the wet container had been unwrapped but didn't look used...$58+tax. It works very well. Food processor? Cuisinart DLC8, 11 cup, their workhorse. Plus all the accessory disks and the continuous feed chute. Again, thrift store(s). Well under $100, total.

Last edited:
Ice into a smooth puree? Hawaiian ice shaver, hand crank or motorized. Find 'em in thrift stores for under $5.

It's always interesting to hear other people say that price is a consideration. I do not have much $$$, so I have learned to shop thrift stores and rummage sales. I have a Vita Mix 5000, came with a wet and a dry container and a pusher, but didn't have the recipe book. Open box, thrift store, the wet container had been unwrapped but didn't look used...$58+tax. It works very well. Food processor? Cuisinart DLC8, 11 cup, their workhorse. Plus all the accessory disks and the continuous feed chute. Again, thrift store(s). Well under $100, total.

I need to find your thrift shop, I've seen nothing like that even in the affluent side of town

I need to find your thrift shop, I've seen nothing like that even in the affluent side of town

Sigh...I just picked up a Cuisinart DLC7, 14 cup food processor in one of my favorite thrifts. It's like new but old enough to have been made in Japan. The newer ones are made in China. Standard basic issue, minus the pastry blade. $14.95+tax. Strong and quiet, works like the day it was made.

Back
Top Bottom