"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 02-04-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
Sous Chef

I'm looking at the kitchenaid pro line burr coffee grinder, and the capresso 565 infinity burr grinder, but they are both so expensive!! Are these really worth the money? I want something that is going to last. I'm thinking about spending the extra for the kitchenaid one, because reviews about the capresso said the ground coffee gets stuck in the chute, and so the next batch of coffee ends up with a teaspoon or more of stale ground coffee. Any thoughts or suggestions?

While we're at it, has anyone tried the aeropress, and what do you think? My sister loves it, but I don't know if I trust her judgement when it comes to coffee lol...

Old 02-04-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to garlicjosh
only this one

Amazon.com: Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder, White: Kitchen & Dining

Old 02-04-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
Head Chef

I use Cuisinart. The chief downside is that they can be noisy. The last one I had lasted 5 years, and has been recently replaced. They can sometimes be found on sale for around $30.

I think the chutes of most coffee grinders will catch some grounds. I clean the chute by wiping it out with my finger.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by garlicjosh
Thank you- this grinder looks like a great less expensive alternative, except that a lot of the reviews say it doesn't do well with espresso grind, which is what I would mostly be using it for. I'm still leaning toward the kitchenaid one. It sounds like it's built like a tank lol
Old 02-04-2011, 02:09 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to garlicjosh
Bodum makes a great product for home users. A lot of the people I know who run coffee shops have this one in their homes..however all of them and myself all use french press so I can't really help with the info on the espresso grind.
I just know that it's effing amazing for the price..but yes, kitchenaid does make a good one from what I have read.
I have one of their blade grinders too and as much as I don't like blade grinders for coffee..if I really wanted to I could get away with that one..they know how to build stuff.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:27 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by garlicjosh View Post
Bodum makes a great product for home users. A lot of the people I know who run coffee shops have this one in their homes..however all of them and myself all use french press so I can't really help with the info on the espresso grind.
I just know that it's effing amazing for the price..but yes, kitchenaid does make a good one from what I have read.
I have one of their blade grinders too and as much as I don't like blade grinders for coffee..if I really wanted to I could get away with that one..they know how to build stuff.
Darn. I really wanted to know how it is for espresso. I have a burr grinder that is fine for press coffee and the stove top espresso/mocha maker, but just doesn't cut it for the electric espresso maker. I'm still using a Braun whirly blade grinder that I have been using for 13 years to grind coffee for espresso. That Bodum is almost within my budget.

Of course it's good for press coffee - Bodum makes French presses. Around here we seldom call it French press - we call it Bodum coffee
Old 02-04-2011, 02:27 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

We have this one. I can not claim it is "The Best", but for the price I am very happy with it. It is relatively quiet and does a very good job of grinding. The grind is adjustable so if you are using it for a French press and then for espresso you won't be stuck.

The only thing that I can say about it that is not great is that it can be a little messy. Sometimes the grinds spit out a little. That is not a huge deal for me and certainly not worth $50 to get a different model that might be a little neater.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #8
Executive Chef

We had a Krups that lasted for years but when it went and we bought another the new one didn't last long at all. We now have a Braun and also a Black and Decker but I have no idea what either of them cost - they both work well. I think most of them start out noisy and get less so as the grind is finer.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:23 PM   #9
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I have a la Pavoni grinder that I have had for several years.

It does a nice job, can be messy but any grinder has that potential. It does espresso grinds well but it doesn't go as fine as a good turkish grind.

Got it at a coffee roasting house. It was about $60 when I got it.

I have a Capresso Ultima maker and love it. I got my brother a Capresso many years ago for Christmas and it died in a couple weeks. He called them and they shipped him a new one without any issues. They paid the shipping both ways and didn't wait on him to return the maker before issuing a replacement (new).
Old 02-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #10
Executive Chef

sweetmarias.com has some interesting commentary on a variety of coffee mills. My wife's favorite coffee mill is a sixty to seventy year old contraption that has stone burrs. Because I had to repair it 3 or 4 years ago, I thought I'd better buy her a backup. I bought her a conical steel burr Zassenhaus 169DG, which required tuning up in order for it to function to our satisfaction. We like a fine grind for use in cone type paper Melitta filters.

Tags
coffee