"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 09-09-2008, 09:49 AM   #11
Head Chef

Where is Mav?

Slightly off-topic for this thread, but I haven't seen Mav around lately...is he ok? Hasn't posted for almost a month....

Old 09-09-2008, 09:55 AM   #12
Senior Cook

I have a KitchenAid 14 cup professional model. It has 2 smaller work bowls, as well, so it's really versatile. I think it works very well. However, it is large in size, so you need sufficient counter space.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:14 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Mav'sWife
Thanks everyone for the info! Sounds like I can't go wrong with either KitchenAid or Cuisinart products. I will take a look at their websites, as was suggested, and pick which model from each I like. Then go shopping online and off and try and narrow it down to just one!

Second question, what does everyone consider the essential accessories to have? And which ones are nice to have? I saw many mentioned already, but I need a good idea of what would be considered a good starting package to have out of all those available.

Karen,
DH is doing OK now, he is still under the weather right now but hopes to be back up and around soon and back to his computer. He does thank everyone for their concern.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:27 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav'sWife
DH is doing OK now, he is still under the weather right now but hopes to be back up and around soon and back to his computer. He does thank everyone for their concern.
Be sure to give Maverick my best regards!! Tell him a few sips of bourbon will make him smile!!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:41 PM   #15
Head Chef

My Cuisinart 14 cup Power Prep Plus comes with all kinds of attachment. I've never needed anything else.

The best price I've seen on the internet for it is $223.99 at Dusky's Department Store

I hope Mav feels better soon!
Old 09-11-2008, 06:42 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Mav'sWife
Thanks Uncle Bob and Mama and EssieBunny. I suppose I should have been more specific about what I am using it for. He has a bread machine that takes care of his dough needs, so this is mainly for chopping, slicing, dicing, making soups, smoothies, that kind of thing. So I just need to make sure whichever one I get has all the necessary attachments to do all that he wants.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:36 PM   #17
Head Chef

The thing I love about the Cuisinart is that it can be used with the standard center blade for pureeing, blending, chopping, making pie crust, etc. But I also have an assortment of attachments that will dice, slice, and grate. Then, the plastic center blade works well for kneading bread. Great, versatile machine> Please be sure to say hi to Buddy for me and tell him we all miss him very much!
Old 09-11-2008, 07:40 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Can I sneak a question in here?
When you say "slice", do you mean slice like buying a hunk of meat and making your own sliced lunchmeat? My sister used to have a meat slicer and got rid of it years ago. Now, I sure wouldn't mind having something that could slice meat, but was more multi-functional.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:25 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis
When you say "slice", do you mean slice like buying a hunk of meat and making your own sliced lunchmeat?
Hmmmm, in a word, "no." I don't think it will slice meat, or even tomatoes. It does a whiz bang job of slicing cucumbers (very thin), radishes, onions, mushrooms, potatoes, other stuff that has some substance to it. You really need a genuine meat slicer for that. I have always longed for just such an appliance, to get really really thin slices of ham, roast beef, cheese, etc. Don't really have room for it, but I may give in to my longing some day anyway.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:49 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks, Karen.
I was hoping......
That meat slicer my sister had was one nice machine, but not something you'd use very often. I guess that's what she got rid of it. Someone needs to come up with a hinged food processor you could tilt up, change the blade and use it to slice meat