"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 09-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Joshatdot Send a message via AIM to Joshatdot Send a message via MSN to Joshatdot Send a message via Yahoo to Joshatdot Send a message via Skype™ to Joshatdot
K45SS - 250w, 4.5qt
KSM75 - 275w, 4,5qt
KSM90/95 - 300w, 4.5qt

Old 11-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoAwad View Post
I'm looking to get a KA stand mixer (red) but when I went to read reviews about it, some said it was flimsy and didn't run correctly. I will mostly be using mine to make desserts and things of that nature. Any suggestions as if I should get it and or keep looking? I also like the style of the mixer. Any others like it out there?
What did you end up getting Waldo?

Old 11-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #13
Sous Chef

still waiting waldo.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa Knuckles View Post
Just reading your posts here, there are such a variety of mixers out there. Many to choose from. My fave is the Assistent Original built in Sweden. It looks different than most but works great for small batches or up to batches containing 20 cups of flour. Had mine for several years now without any troubles and besides being one of the easiest styles to clean they look great!! I advise at least checking them out if you havent purchased yet. Great 5 yrs warranty on motor. Can buy them in USA and CANADA.
Thank you. I had never heard of this and I am seriously considering getting a powerful mixer. I'm half Swedish, so I am prejudiced in favour of Swedish stuff (I drive a Volvo.) The Swedes tend to do good quality. It is kind pricey, even compared with Kitchen Aid and Cuisinart. I'm looking at reviews of the Assistent.

And welcome to DC.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #15
Cook

Bella is a good mixer if you decide not to go with the KA. In our pastry classes, I would always head straight for the Bella or Viking. From what I understand, the older model KAs had metal gears but after the company was sold a few years ago, some newer models have plastic gears. Also, try not to move it around a lot no matter which one you get. That's not good for them at all.

My next mixer will not be a KA. I'm leaning toward a Viking.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Viking, cuisinart, waring, Hamilton beach, and Kenwood are all the same mixer with slightly different styling.

Some KA mixers have a nylon gear as a motor protection, where other mixers rely on electronics for load protection. That gear is cheap and relatively easy to replace, but not as easy as just waiting for the motor to cool off with other mixers. All of the other gears on a KA are metal. I'm not sure if the Viking (or its clones) have all metal gears.

The Breville looks like a great choice too for a tilt head mixer, the reviews are great.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:01 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Maloney View Post
still waiting waldo.
oh Waldo....where are you....???
Old 12-10-2013, 07:38 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Maloney View Post
What did you end up getting Waldo?
hey sorry! I had forgotten my password when I changed to a new phone and couldn't figure out why it would send me a email about it. I finally got it back though haha.. As for your question. I got a kitchenaid 5qt stand mixer. I got it 50% on Black Friday so figured it was worth it
Old 12-15-2013, 09:38 AM   #19
Senior Cook

A wise decision. I bought my KA at a yard sale for $50, with all the attachments. I looked up the serial number - was make in the 1960's and was still going strong!
Old 12-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Cannot say which is 'best' since I have not tried them all. Generally more power and capacity is better. The old Kenwood had a good reputation. So not know if the Viking imitation of the Kenwood is as good.
On the basis of internet reviews and recommendations from friends I will be having a heavy duty KA if ever my trusty old, inherited from my mother, Kenwood dies the death.

On a very shallow level I like the look of the KA better. Kenwoods are rather old-fashioned looking apart from the Kmix range which look a bit naff. KAs look so business like. Looks, however, should not be the only criteria for choosing.