Best mixer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WaldoAwad

Assistant Cook
I'm looking to get a KA stand mixer (red) but when I went to read reviews about it, some said it was flimsy and didn't run correctly. I will mostly be using mine to make desserts and things of that nature. Any suggestions as if I should get it and or keep looking? I also like the style of the mixer. Any others like it out there?

Which KA mixer are you looking at? There are a couple different models. Tilt Head, bowl lift, different sizes. Many of us have KA's and love them.

I'm looking to get a KA stand mixer (red) but when I went to read reviews about it, some said it was flimsy and didn't run correctly. I will mostly be using mine to make desserts and things of that nature. Any suggestions as if I should get it and or keep looking? I also like the style of the mixer. Any others like it out there?

That's a surprising review. KA mixers are generally considered work horses. They come in different sizes (power). Desserts are likely to be less taxing than mixing heavy bread doughs and KA can handle bread doughs. I don't think you'll be disappointed with a KA.

PrincessFiona60 said:
Which KA mixer are you looking at? There are a couple different models. Tilt Head, bowl lift, different sizes. Many of us have KA's and love them.

I'm looking at a tilt head. The standard 300 dollar one at Macy's.

I have a flip head, (it's what I prefer) and I have been using it for 18 years. There will always be good and bad reviews, but overall they are still good mixers. The Artisan will give you a slightly larger bowl than the Classic or Ultrapower, and more power to mix also, it should be a good choice.

Cuisinart is the other brand with a heavy duty mixer, many seem to like it, but it too has a few bad reviews.

One of the really great things about a Kitchenaid, is if you are handy, there are lots of videos on youtube on how to fix them if you ever need to, and parts are plentiful. There is one gear made of nylon that will fail to protect the motor if you are doing a bread dough or other thick dough for an extended period of time, this is cheap and easy to replace. I have never had to do a repair in 18 years, but I also know the limitations of my mixer. I make bread with no issues and lots of batters and buttercreams.

If you are going with a Kitchenaid flip head, go with an artisan model, it has the most power. The Classic is made for lighter use these days. With some shopping around, you should be able to find an Artisan for around $300 on sale.

Last edited:
KA has a ton of different versions.

The two basic choices are tilt-head and bowl lift.

There are 4 basic bowl sizes 5-qt, 5.5-qt and 6-qt. and the giant 7-qt.

Then there are the motor options. they range from 275 watts to 600-700 watts (approx.)

You will probably do best with something in the middle range. Choose a 6-qt bowl and motor wattage in the 450-600 watt range and you will have a non-flimsy work horse for decades.

Cannot say which is 'best' since I have not tried them all. Generally more power and capacity is better. The old Kenwood had a good reputation. So not know if the Viking imitation of the Kenwood is as good.

Consider a Bosch Compact. Runs $200. Will handle small batches for baking and dough enough for up to 2 loaves of bread at a time. Much more versatile and sturdier than the current crop of KA mixers.

I still vote for Hobart's N50 for best countertop mixer. Just ordered a stainless steel flat beater to replace the aluminum one. They still don't make a stainless steel dough hook for it, so I'm thinking about saving my pennies for another ss flat beater and cutting it down to a dough hook. But the mixer? Yeah, best.

What did you end up getting Waldo?

Just reading your posts here, there are such a variety of mixers out there. Many to choose from. My fave is the Assistent Original built in Sweden. It looks different than most but works great for small batches or up to batches containing 20 cups of flour. Had mine for several years now without any troubles and besides being one of the easiest styles to clean they look great!! I advise at least checking them out if you havent purchased yet. Great 5 yrs warranty on motor. Can buy them in USA and CANADA.
Thank you. I had never heard of this and I am seriously considering getting a powerful mixer. I'm half Swedish, so I am prejudiced in favour of Swedish stuff (I drive a Volvo.) The Swedes tend to do good quality. It is kind pricey, even compared with Kitchen Aid and Cuisinart. I'm looking at reviews of the Assistent.

And welcome to DC.

Bella is a good mixer if you decide not to go with the KA. In our pastry classes, I would always head straight for the Bella or Viking. From what I understand, the older model KAs had metal gears but after the company was sold a few years ago, some newer models have plastic gears. Also, try not to move it around a lot no matter which one you get. That's not good for them at all.

My next mixer will not be a KA. I'm leaning toward a Viking.

Last edited:
Viking, cuisinart, waring, Hamilton beach, and Kenwood are all the same mixer with slightly different styling.

Some KA mixers have a nylon gear as a motor protection, where other mixers rely on electronics for load protection. That gear is cheap and relatively easy to replace, but not as easy as just waiting for the motor to cool off with other mixers. All of the other gears on a KA are metal. I'm not sure if the Viking (or its clones) have all metal gears.

The Breville looks like a great choice too for a tilt head mixer, the reviews are great.

What did you end up getting Waldo?
hey sorry! I had forgotten my password when I changed to a new phone and couldn't figure out why it would send me a email about it. I finally got it back though haha.. As for your question. I got a kitchenaid 5qt stand mixer. I got it 50% on Black Friday so figured it was worth it

A wise decision. I bought my KA at a yard sale for $50, with all the attachments. I looked up the serial number - was make in the 1960's and was still going strong!

Cannot say which is 'best' since I have not tried them all. Generally more power and capacity is better. The old Kenwood had a good reputation. So not know if the Viking imitation of the Kenwood is as good.
On the basis of internet reviews and recommendations from friends I will be having a heavy duty KA if ever my trusty old, inherited from my mother, Kenwood dies the death.

On a very shallow level I like the look of the KA better. Kenwoods are rather old-fashioned looking apart from the Kmix range which look a bit naff. KAs look so business like. Looks, however, should not be the only criteria for choosing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom