"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-30-2014, 03:23 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Oh, and what about those heat spreaders?

Old 12-30-2014, 03:25 PM   #12
Master Chef

You're designing your kitchen around one 11" griddle?

Old 12-30-2014, 04:01 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
You're designing your kitchen around one 11" griddle?
No, of course not. As I said, it just occurred to me that this might be a chance to fix one thing that's really been bugging me. Plus the griddle and the large frying pan are the two pans I use most, so it is worth putting a bit of work into solving this problem.

I'm not a glamour chef, but I cook almost every meal we eat in this kitchen and function is important to me. I like to have a few well made and effective tools rather than a different one for every possible thing I might ever want to cook (or make - I have also designed and built everything from houses to a computer that went up in the shuttle.)

And we do not have a huge kitchen, so storing lots of pots and pans is not going to be an option.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:24 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Rather than designing a stove top to accommodate one utensil, consider a different utensil that will work with a "normal" stove.

Given you are on an economy program, a rectangular CI griddle that fits over two burners might be a less expensive and acceptable solution.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:32 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a Jenn-Air gas range and one of the burners works rather counter-intuitively. It has two rings and you get the lowest settings when both are on low heat. I use it with one of my Dutch ovens, which probably is about 11 inches in diameter.

Unlike an electric cooktop, when you use a gas cooktop, the flame spreads out under the pan and heats a larger pan more evenly. Ask your appliance vendor about this.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:29 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I have a Jenn-Air gas range and one of the burners works rather counter-intuitively. It has two rings and you get the lowest settings when both are on low heat
Thank you. That is interesting. What model is your range so I can figure out what cook top might have the same kind of burner.

Quote:
Unlike an electric cooktop, when you use a gas cooktop, the flame spreads out under the pan and heats a larger pan more evenly. Ask your appliance vendor about this.
I wondered about this, but wasn't sure how much spreading and evening to expect. I'll ask about it. Maybe I'll take my pan in and some eggs and see if they'll demonstrate.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:42 PM   #17
Head Chef

It seems to me that an 11" CI griddle should heat pretty well on a gas burner if allowed some time to preheat. Cast iron holds heat well, so once preheated, it shouldn't be that hard to keep a good temperature for something as fast cooking as eggs. When I use the grilling side on my griddle/grill pan, I preheat it for 10-15 minutes before I cook anything on it. Of course I want that to be quite hot, hotter than I would want the griddle for eggs.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:47 PM   #18
Master Chef

Regardless of brand, most any 30 to 36 inch cooktops or ranges these days come with large enough main burners that can easily handle your 11" griddle. 11" is not that big (no jokes please...) and the flames will distribute evenly for even cooking.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:48 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

I like to cook my eggs on a pretty cool pan so they don't brown and get that icky taste. And I also like the cheese to melt onto them before I fold it over. I like my cheese. Eggs are just there to contain the cheese and other fillings.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:52 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

I think we've got this covered for now. It has been useful. Remember: I've almost never cooked on gas before. And I'm getting to be an old codger by now. I'm from Oregon where electric is probably still more common than gas because it's cheaper here than the rest of the country.
I will still be looking for a large diameter gas ring, but I won't fixate too much on it. I think I'll also ask around and see if anyone I know has a gas range who will let me do a test.
Thank you all for your input.