"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-30-2014, 01:40 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Big gas burner

Hi Everyone.
We are starting to plan a kitchen remodel and this gives me the chance to fix a problem that has been bugging me for years.

I have an 11" round cast iron griddle. One of its chief uses is making omelets. The problem is that it is really difficult to get the whole surface to a uniform temperature and keep it there. Impossible, really. It is bigger that the largest burner on our electric stove so the center is always much hotter than the rim.

We will be switching to a gas cook top and so I am hoping to find one with a large diameter burner which can cook at a low temperature. I've seen a super high BTU burner with a large fire ring, but I don't want high heat. I want low, even heat spread around the edge of the griddle.

I have also seen heat spreaders, but I have no idea how well they work or if they will be tippy and make the eggs run to one side of the pan.

I am pretty old, but have had only a few occasions to cook on gas cook tops, so any suggestions anyone can offer will be very welcome.

Thanks!

Old 12-30-2014, 01:56 PM   #2
Master Chef

Hi FatBear, and welcome to Discuss Cooking.

Congratulations on getting a new gas range, and I'm sure you'll be pleased with it. I've cooked with gas most of my long life, and only for a short period had to put up with an electric cook top. As far as your 11" CI griddle, I think it's really unusual to be using it for omelets, but a regular gas flame burner should be able to give you reasonably even heat. Frankly, a non stick skillet dedicated for just omelets is my best friend.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:00 PM   #3
Executive Chef

It would have to be one "Big Gas Burner" for an 11" pan.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:23 PM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Hi FatBear, and welcome to Discuss Cooking.

Congratulations on getting a new gas range, and I'm sure you'll be pleased with it. I've cooked with gas most of my long life, and only for a short period had to put up with an electric cook top. As far as your 11" CI griddle, I think it's really unusual to be using it for omelets, but a regular gas flame burner should be able to give you reasonably even heat. Frankly, a non stick skillet dedicated for just omelets is my best friend.
Actually not as unusual as you might think. I've watched omelet bars make them on a flat steel griddle surface. They just pour out a little oil, a ladle of egg (looks to be maybe 2 eggs), while that's starting to cook they push up the edges to keep it about 8 inches in diameter, they add whatever filling the guest wants, then fold twice and serve. While it's not a classic omelet that's sort of chopped and shaken while cooking (sort of like patting your head and rubbing your tummy at the same time), the ones I had most recently in Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe were excellent. I plan to try it with my CI griddle that goes on the oblong center burner on my gas range.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:53 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
It would have to be one "Big Gas Burner" for an 11" pan.
Exactly my problem. Surely there is one. I also have a 14" deep sided frying pan and the bottom of that one is about the same diameter. (The sides curve up and outwards. I sure wish I had two of these!)
Old 12-30-2014, 02:59 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Actually not as unusual as you might think. I've watched omelet bars make them on a flat steel griddle surface. They just pour out a little oil, a ladle of egg (looks to be maybe 2 eggs),
That's about what I do, but I use the whole pan, not just an 8" circle. Two eggs make a nice, uniform wrapper for my fillings. It is just challenging to get them cooked all the way to the edges without overcooking the center. I succeed once in a while, but not as often as I'd like.

Quote:
While it's not a classic omelet that's sort of chopped and shaken while cooking
I am a creative cook. That means I do things my own way. :-)

Quote:
(sort of like patting your head and rubbing your tummy at the same time)
I can actually do that. I just never thought of doing it with eggs. Seems very messy...
Old 12-30-2014, 03:00 PM   #7
Master Chef

I usually place my large CI griddle over 2 burners.

My 14" Lodge CI "pizza pan" sits nicely over one burner and I get pretty even heating.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:03 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I have a 14" nonstick frying pan that I do that with. Now that I have the center burner, I may be able to span 3 burners with it. I did that with my roasting pan on Christmas when making the au jus for my rib roast.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:10 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post

My 14" Lodge CI "pizza pan" sits nicely over one burner and I get pretty even heating.
Our stove has a "bridge" burner, but if I need to get a CI pan super hot, I use the jet cooker (I use for crawfish boils) outside.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:19 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

We're on the economy program here. No space for large grills and such and it seems pretty extravagant using two burners for one 11" pan. Maybe I'll have to make my own burner. (I have tools and know how to use them.) Do they make modular gas ranges or cook tops? Maybe that's how I need to go.