"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Old 09-29-2004, 08:25 PM   #11
Master Chef
I think the key to knowing when to use a blender is to think "liquid" - and plenty of it. Great for blending liquids, making purees, emulsions like mayo or pesto, and not too shabby for malts and milk shakes.

Of course, a food processor will do these things, too, plus so much more. Well, don't know about making malts ... never tried that. And, I think the blender does a much better job at making small batches of pesto and mayo than my food processor ... but I don't have a mini bowl for mine.

The truth is that when my blender went to appliance heaven a few years ago I bought an immersion (stick/boat motor) blender and it does everything I need - except making malts (never tried it for that) which my waist line doesn't need. I have a very small kitchen with limited storage space and virtually no counter space - so the immersion blender is just right for me. If I had more space I probably would have a counter-top blender in addition to my food processor.

Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 10:15 PM   #12
Executive Chef
I whole-heartedly agree. I used to have a regular blender, but never really did much with it. Then, I bought an immersion blender. I used that thing to death, until the housing split after 5 years. I miss it. I need to get another one.

Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 10:56 PM   #13
Senior Cook
Send a message via Yahoo to pst1can
Food processor vs Blender

Hi to all...just joined, looks like I might have found my replacement for the food network boards. Just joined there and they are closing...Hope I'm not the jinx. I will preface my answer for Will especially...I am a Canadian retailer and I am in no way solicting your business. From my years in both the restaurant business and now the hardware business, in my opinion you want a Cuisinart food processor over Kitchenaid, or any other company. The first reason is that it is a "direct drive" to move the blades unlike most that are belt driven. I still see the odd machine brought into my store for the odd repair...the most being 20+ years old!
They just go and go. The other thing I found is the actual blade is closer to the "bowl" so when you are chopping it gets more of what you are chopping incorporated into your batch. Hope this helps and if I can answer any other questions on a brand you are researching just email me and I will try to help. Thanks Pst :D
pst1can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 11:37 PM   #14
Head Chef
Thank you for the comments, pst1can. And may I say, "Right On!" Having a 20-year-old Cuisinart running as well as it did on Day One, it's nice to hear that others exist out there in the real world.

Welcome to the board!
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is Optional.
Audeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 09:07 AM   #15

Thanks alot for the responses everyone! This is better than school :) I think I will definately stick with a Crusinart... it seems to be the consensus.

Thanks again.. the more info the better :D
will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 07:23 PM   #16
Senior Cook
I just got the kitchen Aid Food processor and not to long ago the blender. Before I had a cusinart blender and a old Braun food processor.
IF you read this before midnight go to comfort house.com They are having a sale on the kitchen aid food processors till the end of september
The kitchen aid to me is definitely a better blender or at least better at making milkshakes. It seems to have more power than the cusinart it dosent crawl around on the counter the way the cusinart did, and seems to do a more thourough job of blending
The kitchen aid that I got is the kp670 . It comes with 3 bowls and 3 disc and 2 cutter blades and a dough blade. I am happy with it.
vilasman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 11:25 PM   #17
Sous Chef
A blender does things only a blender can do and it does it well.

There's nothing a food processor does that I can't do manually, but slower.

I'd get a blender before I'd buy a food processor.

Having said that, I must admit that haven't used either in several months.
Psiguyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 05:23 AM   #18
I use my food processor with some things.. but I swear by my "boat motor." I'm on my own and don't make HUGE meals.. I love it.. you can puree things right in the pan! The one I have has been around for years. My grandma gave it to me, and she had it for a few years previous. It is a Braun, and it is still going strong.
Juliev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 07:27 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
I asked Santa for a boat motor for Christmas this year. Bought myself one earlier but it's too teeny for much beyond whipping cream.
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 09:01 AM   #20
sorry... I have to show my ignorance... :)

What is a 'boat motor'?

will is offline   Reply With Quote