Blender and Food Processor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
will said:
sorry... I have to show my ignorance... :)

What is a 'boat motor'?

an immersion blender. basically a portable blender - you hold one end and the other end has a blender thingy that looks like a boat motor. (sorry for the rotten description). they're handy because you can stick them in a pot of chunky somethings (e.g., potatoes) to make smooth somethings (potato soup) instead of having to pour it into a blender in batches.

oh ok... I know what those are. Ive seen AB use the quite often.

Are they really worth it though? I think I'll just stick to a food processor :) Now i have to start pricing some.

will said:
sorry... I have to show my ignorance... :)

What is a 'boat motor'?

It's Emeril Lagasse's pet name for his immersion blender. Some call it a stick blender. The blade is on the end you stick into the food.

I have processor, which I have had for many year. I use it at least once a week. I don't have a blender but if I did, it would be a "boat motor", immersion blender. There are very few things that I would want to puree. The processor will do that if you let it go long enough, maybe. I use my "pulse" a lot of the time. My family loves cream style slaw with all the amenities. I don't cook the variety of the foods that the other do. Unless you cook bigtime, invest in the processor and go from there. It's up to the individual. I don't make shakes.

I think that most blenders are primarily used to liquify. Vita mix blenders can of course do more.

A food processor with enough power, like a Cuisinart or a Kitchenaid, or a Robot Coupe -- don't liquify as well as a blender, but they can do so much more: chopping uniformly, slicing, dicing, julienning, etc.

If you food processor has a food chute, you can do this without limitations!

I think each machine has a place in a well equipped kitchen.

Hi pst1can! What brand of immersion blender and ice cream maker would you highly recommend? I saw a post here about Braun immersion blender.

I'm also considering the Cuisinart ice cream maker with 2 bowls.

I'd like your opinion please as I'm seriously petitioning Santa this Christmas. Thanks! :)

Can't really help you with the ice cream maker ..... but I've got an old Braun immersion blender that is still going strong after 6 years. I think I paid something like under $20 for it at the grocery store.

I have a cuisinart blender/food processor. That w/ a madeline pretty well do it for mle. had a big cuisinart, but 'lent' it to a friend with a walk in pantry!

Uses for Food Processors

I received a Cuisinart Food Processor for Christmas last year. I have to admit this is my FAVOURITE Kitchen Utensil. I use it for slicing potatoes and onions for Scalloped Potatoes, grating large blocks of cheese that I store in the fridge for easy use, mincing bulbs of garlic that I store in a jar, blending cookie and biscuit dough, mixing cream cheese and cottage cheese together for lasagna...I'm sure if I kept thinking I would come up with a few more uses for it ;) I was afraid it might just be a phase but after owning it for a year, it is still the one thing that I use on an almost daily basis, and to clean it I just place the bowl, cover, blades and feed tube in the dishwasher.

I love mine Cuisinart Food Processor so much, I have 2 of them. One is 12 year old smaller one and new 14 one I got last year on sale, just could not pass a good deal. I love it. Use it all the time having big family of course helps.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom