Blender recommendation (glass)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Frankly, I don't think you'll find a decent blender that's quiet.

Hi, Andy. Well, I'm not really expecting "quiet." I'm just seeking something that isn't ear-splittingly loud. IOW, I don't want to have to get out ear plugs every time I use the thing. ;)

The older Oster model that I currently have is not quiet, but I can use it on the lowest speed for a few seconds without the noise hurting my ears. OTOH, my Cuisinart mini-chopper is loud enough that I usually use earmuffs when operating it. I also have an old Vita-Mix that is EXTREMELY loud, and it's best to use actual ear plugs when running that one. :ohmy:

Which you buy should be more based on its expected use.
Yes, thanks—that's a very important consideration too.

If you're going to be making smoothies etc. every day, you might be better off with a more substantial tool.
No, my main use is to make thickened liquids daily for an elderly relative, so I don't need anything all that substantial. :)

Last edited:
Someone here (can't remember who) recently pointed out that some blenders will accept a mason jar. My old Oster does, so I'm guessing that the new ones will as well.
Yes, my old Oster does too, tenspeed. In fact, you and dragnlaw just gave me an idea. Sometimes I make tomato sauce/paste out of sun-dried tomatoes, and it's always such a pain to clean the blender jar and white lid. If I still have an Oster by the time I do that again, I think I'll go the Mason jar route instead. :)

Last edited:
OK, now I'm curious. Does anyone know if any of the newer brands of blenders other than Oster accept a Mason jar? Thanks for any info. If they do not, then most likely I'll be going with an Oster for a new blender.

Last edited:
My biggest concern in regard to a blender is hot liquids. I don't want to place hot liquids in anything plastic, so that's why I greatly prefer glass. Plus, to me, plastic in a blender just seems so cheap.

We have a Blendtec and it's a very nice blender and not cheap either. It also happens to come with a plastic container which I like. I also like glass but that size container in glass would probably weigh a ton.

Last edited:
OK, now I'm curious. Does anyone know if any of the newer brands of blenders other than Oster accept a Mason jar? Thanks for any info. If they do not, then most likely I'll be going with an Oster for a new blender.

I think its the norm for blender bases to accept a canning jar.

We have a Blendtec and it's a very nice blender and not cheap either. It also happens to come with a plastic container which I like. I also like glass but that size container in glass would probably weigh a ton.

Thanks for the info, roadfix.

I think its the norm for blender bases to accept a canning jar.

Thanks, Andy—that's good to know.

OK, I think I've narrowed down my choices to the 16-speed Oster that I mentioned earlier in the thread and the 7-speed Cuisinart Powerblend Duet that Sir_Loin_of_Beef posted about. But a lot of the reviews of the Cuisinart at Amazon say that it's very loud. Does anybody on here know how loud it is on the lowest speed?

Thanks, Sir_Loin_of_Beef. That's one I've looked at, but a bunch of the reviews by customers there say that it's really loud. Would you agree with that assessment? Also, since it has 7 speeds, about how loud is the lowest speed?

I don't think it's loud, for a blender. You are whirring stuff at beaucoup rpms, so you have to expect to hear something. That's how you know it's on!

I don't think it's loud, for a blender. You are whirring stuff at beaucoup rpms, so you have to expect to hear something. That's how you know it's on!

OK, thanks for the helpful info about that blender.

Another thing I've realized is that the more speeds a blender has, the more likely the lowest speeds aren't that loud. But if you've got only 2 speeds total, then the lower speed is probably more likely to be on the loud side.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom