Blender speeds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baio44

Assistant Cook
Where can I find information on what exactly different blender speeds do. I have an Osterizer 12 speed and I can't seem to find info on which speed I should use when.

Any advice?
Jeff L

Hi, Jeff. Welcome to DC.

I never paid much attention to the different speeds. 99 times out of 100, I think it doesn't matter.

I start the blender and try different speeds until I find the one that works best. After all, what's the worst thing that could happen? You end up with a smoothie regardless.

Here's what this situation needs: a blender with a tachometer!

I agree with Andy. For most blender applications, I have to imagine, there'd be little difference between "whipped", "pureed", and "frapped" foodstuffs. For that matter, I'd find it hard to imagine there are any industry standards on the subject!

One other bonus I could see of a variable speed blender is "soft starting" the motor at a low speed and walking it up to high speed. This process, as I understand it, it said to increase the life of the motor and the motor mounts by reducing start-up torque and electrodynamic stress on the electronic components. This comes from router marketing and not blender science, so individual fates may vary, of course.

Looks like a "souped up" Vitamix model.

There may also be some blender cookbooks out that should give info on the speeds and what they do.

Thanks for everyone's response. What I've found now is that starting on a lower speed mixes the ingredients when they are solid best and as they chop up a higher speed keeps the solution churning. Also, time is another factor. I let one smoothie spin for 10 sec and the other for 20-30s. The shorter the time the more chunky the smoothie. (sounds obvious I know)
But, after all this experimenting all speed combos give the same result...a smoothie.

All other input is still greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom