Blender vs. Smoothie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We women got to stick together Alix!

The best part is he will love it, and you will get what you want. Everybody wins!

choclatechef said:
Is the only difference between a blender and a smoothie maker just the spigot?

If so, wouldn't this be a smoothie maker?
img_120798_0_177511d1ff30b47b62067a1278110597.jpg

I have a couple of these...

chocialatechef, I did buy a blender but I do not like the cleaning part of it. The mouth is so wide that it is like cleaning large roasting pan, if you kind of know what I mean. I have looked on eBay and tried to find one like you have but no luck. What is the number of your blender? Is it an older model? Thanks for all your help. I never did get your blender out of my mind but don't have eBay account.

In the Kitchen, it is a Vita Mix Commercial 4000 Maxi.

If you search using these words, you will get a lot of hits! Yes, it is an older model, but is very powerful.

The new models have plastic containers and I don't like them. They cost about $500 new.

Vita Mix

Gee, you're good. Thanks for response. You mean by trying to do search on eBay? Or some other way? I don't get to be on computer too long. Thanks

Thanks for your time. You are really quick with your responses. I hope I am lucky to get one due to the fact we use this one everyday. I guess I won't be happy till I do. Thanks for understanding. You really know where to go. Never have gotten anything due to the fact some people tell me not really guarantee on things. Glad you feel differently.

choclatechef said:
No problem!

I wish you lots of luck. Let me know when you get one, and what you think.

After all this time, you bet I will let you know. I am only grateful you advised me. Also happy you already have one. We all deserve some satisfaction in this life. Thanks again.

My son bought us a VitaMix for our 50th Anniversery last Nov. and I bought them one for Christmas..LOL
I made smothies like crazy and then I tested my blood sugar...not good...I even made hot tortilla soup! DH liked it but I put to much Herbano Chili in it..just one sliver and WOW!
My son's family make Veg. juice every day before off to school and work. They love theirs.
Marge

Dove

Aren't you happy you made such wise investment in your son's life? He listens to his mom which is so great! You taught him well. Everyday use is even better. I bet they look healthy too. Glad to hear about this. Makes me so anxious but I have to wait for one of the family to give me their password. This just happens to be weekend when everyone doing something and I sit here wishing. I am worried I would overbid or buy wrong one. No confidence always need assurance.

After years of using a Champion juicer, blender, food processor, and Magic Mill grain mill, I purchased a Vita-Mix. It is, hands down my favorite and most versitile kitchen appliance. The Champion was fabulous, but I never liked the idea, from a nutritional standpoint of separating out the fiber. I started researching and then went to a demonstration of the Vita-Mix at Costco. I still use the mill for the majority of the flours I use, but have used the Vita-Mix dry container in a pinch when I have found myself a few ounces short for a recipe or when I want cornbread for dinner. To make juice or smothies, the instructions direct you to add ice cubes to your selected produce. I freeze grapes, strawberries, pineapple, blueberries, etc. and add to carrots, apples, oranges, beets, brocolli, tomatos, cabbage, parsnips, parsley, celery, kale, chard, wheat grass, and any other fresh, organic produce available, with as much water as needed for the thickness I want, and have a fabulous meal. I don't use ice cubes because I am using the frozen items. The motor is so powerful that you must have some form of ice or you will get cooked soup. Another talent of the machine. You can use any produce you like and the other things you might add to a smoothie. The beast also make the smoothest humus I have ever had, great nut butters, and so much more. I think your inagination may be the only limit. Great product, great warranty. I am sure, as with any appliance, there are folks who will be drawn by the novelty of making ice cream (which it can do) or soup in 3 or 4 minutes, use it a few times and put it in the cupboard. Mine is on the counter and used at least once a day and often more. I have not used the Champion or the blender since I brought the Vita-Mix home. I use the food processor only for grating or shredding now.

choclatechef said:
Fix a romantic dinner with wine and candlelight, then when hubby is in a relaxed receptive mood.....ask for an early anniversary gift!

CC, that's what I call a Smoothie.

In the Kitchen said:
Since I use my blender everyday for breakfast, I just wondered if there was difference in cosistancy of liquid? I throw so much fresh fruit in with yogurt and different powders that is almost comes out like pudding which is hard to drink. I felt this Smoothie appliance would make it easier to drink. I do throw everything in the smoothie like I do my soup. They often ask me if I have spoon? The idea is they don't want to sit down to eat; hence, they drink all the stuff. They want to get out of here as fast as they can.

ITK, tell em to S L O W down (smile).

If it's a pudding-like consistency, I'd try adding some ice cubes or a little more milk. (Would love to see your smoothie & soup recipes. Would like to put some healthy stuff in the drinks.)

CC, thanks for the chuckle. BTW, that looks like it would turn granite into a smoothie. WHOA. (I have the Magic Bullet & it's not for serious anything. Used it once for tuna salad. The blender/juicer part pretty much looks like plastic.)

Was almost tempted to get the Jack La Lane (sp?) juicer. Knowing me, I'd use it once. Got rid of most of the stuff I don't use. Tired of all these small appliances sitting on the shelf & taking up space. But show me a good info-mercial in the middle of the night, & I'll be tempted to look on ebay.

Last edited:
lorie

YOu bought your Vita Mix at Costco? Do you need membership to go there? Is it just like chocolatechef picture? Could you tell me price range so I know what to expect?

No, the new Vita Mixes are different from mine. They have plastic jars and look totally different.

I prefer the old style with the stainless steel motor housing and blender jar.

chocolatechef

After I finish with getting this fridge I will have to check into eBay. Just hope I will get someone who is honest. Someone had bad luck with eBay on here.

That was me!

I have had 750 purchases or more and out of them I have had maybe 10 bad deals.

Not a bad percentage! Most transactions go very well.

chocolatechef

What a relief. Doesn't sound too bad. Especially if you have lot of money involved. I'll just go on faith and your experience. Thanks

In The Kitchen,
I got the Vita-Mix about 2 years ago. I cannot recall exaxtly what it cost. I think it was about $425. I purchased the "Super 5000". This includes the dry container for grain and an extra cookbook. It was available without the extra jar and book for about $80 less. Sorry I cannot recall more specifically. If I did not love the machine I could probably recall exactly what it cost. As I use it every day, I have more than gotten my money's worth. Costco is a membership store, but you can go with a member if you know one if you don't think it would be worth it for you to join yourself. My machine is not like the one pictured. You can see pictures on the Vita-Mix web site. I also have heard that they are found on e-bay, but I have never checked myself.

Back
Top Bottom