Blenders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Essiebunny

Senior Cook
The time has come to replace my 40 year old Oster blender. The question is what should I buy? I need some good advice, so I don't make the wrong decision.

Miss Essie....

Would you consider another Oster?? I don't think you can go wrong! It probably want last like the last one, but still a good choice!

Enjoy!

Katie E said:
What! It only lasted 40 years?! Just kidding. Gosh, I can't offer any advice because I'm still using my Oster blender I bought in 1968.

Are you serious? Now THAT is a strong product! Reminds me of that commercial about gum "If the flavor last so long, won't we sell less gum"....and the factory suddenly shuts down! :LOL:

Cute, keltin. Although, if a company builds a good product, I think the general public would be more inclined to consistently buy it and other products produced by said company. I love my Oster blender.

There is one thing that needs to be said, though, about our cooking toys and that is we need to take care of them. Keep them clean, oiled (where necessary), etc. If we treat them well, they'll take care of us.

Many of my kitchen appliances/tools are way over 30-years-old and performing as if they were purchased yesterday.

I don't know anything about that brand but I have noticed that as I replace my much older appliances that have lasted many years that the newer models, the newer models do not have the life expectancy that was once there. Hang on to all the oldies as long as you can!

Katie E said:
Cute, keltin. Although, if a company builds a good product, I think the general public would be more inclined to consistently buy it and other products produced by said company. I love my Oster blender.

There is one thing that needs to be said, though, about our cooking toys and that is we need to take care of them. Keep them clean, oiled (where necessary), etc. If we treat them well, they'll take care of us.

Many of my kitchen appliances/tools are way over 30-years-old and performing as if they were purchased yesterday.

Good point Katie. Still occasionally, you get a lemon. I can’t really remember the last appliance that burned out on me…..I guess it was my iron year before last (I should NOT being saying this, because now something will burn out tonight!). But, I don’t really have many appliances. I don’t bake (and almost never eat sweets or baked goods other than bread), so I’ve no need for a mixer. I’ve got a blender in storage, but rarely used it when it was on the counter.

About the only tool/appliance that I use regularly is a mini-chopper by black and decker. It’s one of those cheap mini-food processor type gadgets. I just used it the other night to make some bread crumbs out of toasted bread pieces. That little guy works like a champ….a small champ, but a champ. I’ve been contemplating a full blown processor, but realistically, I know I don’t use one enough to justify the purchase and counter space.

I’ve noticed when you don’t bake and you only cook for two, you don’t have need for a lot of appliances. I’ve got a GF Rotisserie, 2 GF indoor grills (two sizes, SM & LG), a double large toaster oven with rotisserie, and three grills. I use a hand masher, a manual can opener, a pressure cooker, steamer basket for my SS cook set, a good set of knives and shears. Add the oven and stove, and I can’t think of anything I really need to cook. Well, except for a 12" Dutch Oven that I'm about to get for outdoor charcoal cooking.

Out of curiosity, what do you use your blender for. I used to use mine for drink concoctions, but that was rare since we drink wine and rarely go for liquor and mixed drinks. Heh…..I’m sure there are more uses for a blender than drinks!!!

Last edited:
I have a Black and Decker blender - it's ss and very heavy with a glass jar (not plastic like most of the new ones). Kind of reminds me of the old Osters. I'm not sure of the model # but it's 550 watts and has the smooth surface buttons - just wipe clean. Anyway, it is super powerful and handles ice with ease for frozen type drinks. Several friends who have used mine here have since purchased one because they were all so impressed with it's power and stability. I got it last year at Wal-Mart, I think and I'm sure I paid ~$50.00 for it. HTH

Actually, I'd like to know what everyone uses a blender for, too. I only really use it for frozen margaritas. I used to use it for smoothies but have since gotten an immersion blender and that is sooo much easier and quicker and no clean up.

I ended up with a Braun PowerMax based on some findings in Consumer Reports on durability and ease of use. Less than $50. But I have not had a chance to use it yet to tell you if I like it. All I know is that I ended up with a lemon Oster that I had to ditch! LOL!

What is a blender that will really power through ice?

There's that whole "Will it Blend?" one, but those are insanely expensive, and I don't think I have any need for one that will blend up an iPhone.

So let's say... what's the best blender for $150 or less?

Falkon, go to post #9 above and click on the link to another thread on blenders that provides some info.

That Krups is NICE. It looks like commercial quality. That's just as good as those blendtech ones that can blend up an iPod, but much much much cheaper. 1000W Sweet Jesus! I'll be picking one of these up sometime.

Back
Top Bottom