Blenders - Two Options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheNoodleIncident

Senior Cook
so my wife and i went to buy a blender yesterday, and we are torn between the following two options....one of us feels strongly about one, the other feels strongly about the other....i told her i would let the discussion forum help decide, so i wont say much beyond that to sway anyone's vote

we mostly want it for frozen smoothies - with our current one, the food constantly gets jammed up, so you have to stop the blender, give it a stir or shake, and then try again...this is mostly due to poor design with the funnel shaped carafe, which doesnt allow the food to flow to the bottom - of the two new choices, one is more of a square, and one is a taller, thinner cylinder....ill also make the occasional soup, or salad dressing, or whatever else....we've had a few cheaper ($50 range) blenders, and i'd like this one to perform better and last longer....

first, here are the two blenders - one kitchenaid, one waring....different sizes, different shapes, different materials.....let me know which one you would pick irregardless of price (performance alone)...would be great if someone actually owned one of these and could comment

Amazon.com: KitchenAid 5-Speed Blenders with Polycarbonate Jars: Kitchen & Dining

Amazon.com: Waring Professional Bar Blenders: Kitchen & Dining

now the prices....the kitchenaid is $99 on sale, normally $150 (though it seems that $99 is the normal price at most stores).....as for the waring, bloomingdales is having some sort of "special" pre-sale where they sell a limited quanity of the blender for $30, when the price tag on it says $190 (not sure how much it would actually sell for - though you can see amazon sells it for $97)

so, what is your vote when you take the price into consideration? we already bought both, and will return one

one last thing - we need to buy this from bloomingdales, and these are the only two options i would consider from there....so i realize that there may be better blenders out there for the price, but we really need to stick with these two for now (unless someone has a vitamix/blendtec they are willing to part with for $100)

Based on some of the reviews, I wouldn't buy either one. Sorry. The negatives are fairly serious.

As far a performance is concerned (making smoothies), the Waring seems better though the other sounded OK too.

The reviews are fairly old so these problems could have been fixed by now. Do you want to find out the hard way?

thanks andy - which negatives are you referring to? i thought that, overall, the reviews for both were relatively positive...i also tend to take negative reviews with a grain of salt, since i think people are much more likely to write a review when they want to complain and vent, while satisfied customers dont take the time to do so

one thing that did worry me was the leaking base of the kitchenaid....but it seems like that the company redesigned the carafe to fix that problem

at this point we are still limited to those two options, so id love to hear what some others think, also

My concerns were the multiple comments about the leaking KA and the fact that the Waring carafe cannot be put into the dishwasher.

If you know the leaking carafe has been fixed and the Waring carafe can now go into the DW it's probably a toss up.

As far as negative reviews in general, I agree some buyers look for things to complain about but there were three different reviews about the leaks and the process cited for cleaning the Waring sounded pretty specific, as if they were paraphrased from the manual. You can easily check that in the store by reading the manual or downloading it online and reading the cleaning instructions.

You could also check other sites for blender reviews.

My concerns were the multiple comments about the leaking KA and the fact that the Waring carafe cannot be put into the dishwasher.

If you know the leaking carafe has been fixed and the Waring carafe can now go into the DW it's probably a toss up.

As far as negative reviews in general, I agree some buyers look for things to complain about but there were three different reviews about the leaks and the process cited for cleaning the Waring sounded pretty specific, as if they were paraphrased from the manual. You can easily check that in the store by reading the manual or downloading it online and reading the cleaning instructions.

You could also check other sites for blender reviews.

so it does seem like some people had leaking/breaking issues, but also many people seem to love both.....fortunately, both do have warranties (admittedly short ones, though most people mentioned that the companies took care of issues relatively easily)

but in regards to blenders in general, i feel that a larger (56oz), wider, non-funneled carafe (the KA) would be superior to a smaller (40oz), more narrow carafe that could create jamming/bubble issues (waring).....the size different really is huge when you see these things in person, and i think the extra room will create a much better blend....i also like the poly carafe in the KA, vs the glass in the waring....even if it isnt the best blender in the world, it seems to have the characteristics of what i would look for in a good blender....again, we are mostly likely stuck choosing between those two....and ive also noticed that almost all blenders sub $300 have several complaints, so nothing is perfect

but, out of curiosity, what blender for $100 and under would you recommend that is better than these two?

I have a Braun I paid under $50 for a few years ago. It's fine for me as I'm not a frequent blender user. We use it for frozen drinks in the summer and I use it occasionally for recipes. We don't do daily smoothies.

If I was a daily blender user, I'd go to the library and read Consumer Reports on the subject. They will tell you which are best for smoothies and which are better for other uses. They will also recommend the best and the best at a lower price.

Have you thought about an immersion blender? In my view they are much more versatile, easier to clean. I do not make smoothies, but they better ones should work well for this use.

would like an immersion blender, but is def not a replacement for a regular blender (especially for smoothies)

vitamix def out of the question...would like one, but cant justify the expense

though after seeing this video, i feel much better about my KA (far left)...i know that in reality its not better than the blendtec or vita-mix, but seems like its not a bad little blender (as long as it doesnt leak)

YouTube - 5-Blender Comparison Test Including Vita-Mix & Blendtec

...i know that in reality its not better than the blendtec or vita-mix, but seems like its not a bad little blender (as long as it doesnt leak)...

I count the blendtec's need for a special pitcher and the Vita-Mix's need for a plunger as big negatives. That makes the KA a better choice to me. That also makes it a better blender than the two big name ones. As you said, as long as it doesn't leak, the KA is the way to go.

Bottom line is you won't know for sure until you get it home.

def agree about those being negative for the blendtec and vitamix....other negative being the price

i already have the KA - in fact, its right next to me....going to use it tomorrow for the first time (after i return the waring)....im a bit busy tomorrow, but perhaps i could record or take some pics of the first run, then post them

no promises! but perhaps at least a few people will find that interesting?

not sure how i would post a video here....advice? pics i can handle

def agree about those being negative for the blendtec and vitamix....other negative being the price

i already have the KA - in fact, its right next to me....going to use it tomorrow for the first time (after i return the waring)....im a bit busy tomorrow, but perhaps i could record or take some pics of the first run, then post them

no promises! but perhaps at least a few people will find that interesting?

not sure how i would post a video here....advice? pics i can handle
YouTube, imageshack, photobucket, TinyPic,

I've semi-recently found this site, and they do a good job on their reviews: Blenders: Blender Reviews, Best Blenders

I would also recommend looking at Amazon's site, find the Blender category, limit results to 4+ Stars, and sort the list by Best Selling.
Amazon.com: 4 Stars & Up Blenders

ok, i just made a video and tried to post it, only to discover that i must have used too high a resolution, because i can only upload 20 seconds of it....ill try and fix it, but dont know if i can

thanks!

and no, it seems like the ice crush mode is the only one that pulses...but that doesnt really make a differnce - ill just use the pulse mode whenever i want

one feature it has is a "soft start" which the box described as starting slow, and then increasing speed so that food isnt thrown everywhere....but, in reality, it pulses at a high speed for a split second, then slows, then builds up to the setting you chose...not sure i understand how that prevents a mess

to be fair, there is one other thing that i dont love - the top doesnt sit really tight when in place...i could see it flying off during blending....easily fixed by holding your hand on top when you first start, but just something to be aware of....i guess the plastic could relax a bit after a few washes and then have a firmer grip, but who knows...its really not a big deal, and doesnt take much away from this blender

Back
Top Bottom