"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 09-25-2005, 09:32 PM   #11
Head Chef

The built in oven I had once did have a small broiler part under it...but it didn't come with built in cooky sheets! lol. The ovens we have today have broilers in the bottom...but I just want to know how you are suppose to get down there to get the pans in and out! Maybe I should have set the stoves up on blocks? No...then I couldn't have reached the burners....lol.

Old 09-25-2005, 09:35 PM   #12
Master Chef

Icad......i'm not ashamed to say i haven't a clue......hey i just figured out the bottom part of my oven is actually a drawer........... i'm so glad i never tried using it as a broiler. Good luck in your quest...I'm sure someone will help you out.

Old 09-25-2005, 10:22 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Is your stove Gas or electric?

I have seen broilers under the oven where the storage drawer is on mine. But only on gas stoves. Other than that mine is a drawer.
Earlzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 11:40 PM   #14
Master Chef

Electric Earl.............my other was a gas and very similar to this one
Old 09-26-2005, 02:08 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Hi Earlzach, it's an electric oven.

LOL, so far I seem to have everyone ...If it helps the brand of the oven is called "Meisterkoch" (and I think I over-shot my estimate of the height of this mysterious bottom part, it's probably no more than 6-7 inches high).

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 11:34 AM   #16
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to ArticKatt Send a message via MSN to ArticKatt Send a message via Yahoo to ArticKatt
If its 20 years old then it likely was a broiler at one time. My aunt had a old stove at one time that they brough over from the UK and it had a small broiler drawer (that my aunt used to proof bread) I hated the thing. I never understood it. Needless to say no one in the family wanted it when she died.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:21 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Quote:
If its 20 years old then it likely was a broiler at one time. My aunt had a old stove at one time that they brough over from the UK and it had a small broiler drawer (that my aunt used to proof bread) I hated the thing. I never understood it. Needless to say no one in the family wanted it when she died.
While there is obviously nothing funny about your aunt's passing, the last line made me crack a smile. Luckily the stove is not ours (we rent), because I would never want to have to pass it along to anyone else.

I tend to agree, that at one point it was a broiler...who knows what happened. The crazy thing is, why would you need a broiler when the top half of the oven is essentially a broiler unto itself (the heating element is on the roof of the oven!). Poorly designed oven I tell you, and quite the challenge to bake with!

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Old 10-02-2005, 08:46 PM   #18
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to ArticKatt Send a message via MSN to ArticKatt Send a message via Yahoo to ArticKatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICadvisor
I tend to agree, that at one point it was a broiler...who knows what happened. The crazy thing is, why would you need a broiler when the top half of the oven is essentially a broiler unto itself (the heating element is on the roof of the oven!). Poorly designed oven I tell you, and quite the challenge to bake with!
did you ever think that maybe the top part of the oven is also broken. I know that when you had the main part of my aunts oven turned on the bottom was on as well and that heated the bottom of the part on top. No idea if that makes sence I am very tired. It sounds like your landloard needs to replace that oven.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:18 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Thanks for the thoughts ArticKatt...the idea that the top part might be busted hadn't occured to me, as there is no element in/on the "floor" of the top part, I just assumed that it only heats stuff from the top (absurd as that sounds) Yes, it is certainly a clunker of an oven...as to my landloard, sigh, well - maybe I'll bring it up one day If I'm feeling extra brave

Old 10-03-2005, 01:20 PM   #20
Cook

We have been talking about counter top convection ovens. In another thread. there are some that are big enough to do Roasts and chickens. Have you thought of one of those and then not use the oven supplied by the landlord. I would hate to have a oven I could not bake in.