"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 10-04-2005, 04:31 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Again a good though ArticKatt! If there was a small, small model (not much in the way of counter space, the kitchen was horribly laid out for the amount of space that is actually available) that might be an awesome idea.

I can do some baking, things like muffins and cakes seem to be alright, I just have to cook then at a lower temp and watch them very carefully. Pastry, though burns in a flash.

Thanks again for the good idea

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 02:12 PM   #22
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to ArticKatt Send a message via MSN to ArticKatt Send a message via Yahoo to ArticKatt
You should look around. there are a number of toaster ovens that are much more then for just broiling things. I have seen some nicer small ones for me I would want big But then I would think nothing of doing a turkey in one. I hope you find something Good Luck

Old 10-08-2005, 07:49 AM   #23
Master Chef

In most gas stoves I've had it's been a broiler. In most electrics, a storage drawer. In my newest electric, it is a warmer if you wish to use it that way (it has an off/on knob for allowing heat to cirulate in it or not ... since I don't cook much for large groups, I don't use it that much) -- for keeping anything warm until serving. Mostly I've used all of them for ... storage!
Old 05-08-2013, 02:37 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

surfing warmer lurkers tonight.

claire pretty much nailed it, clearing the confusion.

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but gas ovens heat from the bottom, electric heat from a coil of some sort at the top.

nonetheless, if the heating element, gas or electric, is beneath the oven floor actually in the aforementioned bottom drawer, then the drawer is a broiler.

a broiler has a direct heat souce from above the cooking surface, fairly close. there should be a tray in that drawer that has multiple slots for adjusting how close it is to the heat source.

if there's no heat source directly in the bottom drawer, then it's either a warmer or storage.

simple enough.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:35 AM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
...someone correct me if i'm wrong, but gas ovens heat from the bottom, electric heat from a coil of some sort at the top.

nonetheless, if the heating element, gas or electric, is beneath the oven floor actually in the aforementioned bottom drawer, then the drawer is a broiler...
In the case of my stove, you're wrong. I have a 6 year old electric stove. It has a bottom drawer sealed off from the oven compartment, so I use it to store my pot lids and a couple small tray items for my toaster oven. Inside the oven compartment are two elements. The bottom one is below the floor of the oven; however, there are front-to-back ridges on each side of the floor, approximately 4-5 inches from the sidewalls. There are vent slits all along the length of the ridges so that the heat can enter the oven compartment. The top one is exposed. When in the broil mode it stays on almost the entire cook time. When the oven is in the bake mode the top burner comes on just enough to stabilize the oven temp.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:06 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

ok, thanks cg. i haven't had an electric oven for many years, and the last electric was really cheap. i've always had gas .

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:36 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Our electric has the warming drawer feature, but it is used for storage.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:40 AM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
ok, thanks cg. i haven't had an electric oven for many years, and the last electric was really cheap. i've always had gas .
No gas lines in our area - so, electric cooks. My dream, when we move back home, is to get a dual fuel stove with gas burners and electric oven. I used gas stoves the first 24 years of my life and have had electric ever since. IMO a dual fuel would be the best way to go. Plus, I still have my "lid drawer"!
Old 05-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

My bottom drawer in my electric stove is also separate from the oven, it's a warming drawer with its own controls. This is really handy during a big meal, things that hold well stay nice and warm down there.

The oven has a proofing function, but if the oven is already in use, it's just warm enough in the warming drawer to proof rolls or bread nicely with just the warmth of the oven, I don't even have to turn the warming drawer on.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:11 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

My oven has a heating element of the floor of the oven. That is for baking. It also has a heating element on the ceiling of the oven. That is for broiling. I can adjust the shelving to bring the food close to the broiling element. Some electric stoves have a preheat options. Mine doesn't and I wish it did. Both elements heat up and speed up the preheat oven that so many recipes call for. I do have a storage drawer on the bottom for pots and pans. A very simple electric stove designed for the elderly.